Expired Freebies

[MEC] Mountain Equipment Coop Membership FREE

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 2:11 pm
Tags:
Mar 31, 2018
121 posts
73 upvotes
Not a founding member but our membership dates from 1972.
Now it will just a memory. Bye. bye MEC.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1277 posts
1558 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Awaiting the eventual nosedive in MEC brand equipment.

Sad day indeed.
Oct 1, 2006
61 posts
70 upvotes
ChippewaBarr wrote: Awaiting the eventual nosedive in MEC brand equipment.

Sad day indeed.
they start diving years ago...when they stopped providing inexpensive quality gear to people that used it and started selling clothes to folk that wanted five different winter jackets that all coordinated with their multiple pairs of sorel winter boots that they use to walk from the car to the mall

MEC is a shadow of the great outdoor store it used to be.
Last edited by klowe on Sep 25th, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3242 posts
1273 upvotes
Ottawa
orveas wrote: Not a founding member but our membership dates from 1972.
Now it will just a memory. Bye. bye MEC.
Holy f.. Lol. You're old. I felt old remembering shopping there in 1990 or so. I feel better now Face With Tears Of Joy .. I remember buying a Swiss army knife and a backpack for school. They had the best quality backpacks.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1277 posts
1558 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
klowe wrote: they start diving years ago...when they stopped providing inexpensive quality gear to people that used it and started selling clothes to folk that wanted a five different winter jackets that all coordinated with their multiple pairs of sorel winter boots that they use to walk from the car to the mall

MEC is a shadow of the great outdoor store it used to be.
No lies detected lol.

I have some old ass gear from them and it's still in amazing condition. Haven't bought anything MEC brand in a few years but sad to see nonetheless.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
Since they won't be a co-op soon, this is just a way to negate the cost of a membership so you are not disincentivized to buy something there.
Yeah, you need to buy something, otherwise why would you care?

Not 1972 for me; around 1990. We miss Serratus, but I also understand how Canadian wages can't compete with offshore.
Mar 2, 2019
17 posts
30 upvotes
Funny how the first time I bought something from them was one week before they announced they sold the coop...
Oh well, my $5 "Lifetime" membership didn't last long Face With Tears Of Joy
Jan 1, 2020
48 posts
63 upvotes
iownyou wrote: Yes you can, for free
I remember when MEC did their woke protest and stopped selling Camelbak products because their parent company made ammunition a few of the gun nuts of Reddit asked to cancel their memberships. Apparently the got back whatever the current share value of their MEC memberships were worth. Maybe like $40. I don't know if that would still work now?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2592 posts
3407 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
In case anyone i having issues going to that page (phone browser crashing in my case) I figure I'd post to save a click and see everything on one page.

Rory Lambert
created a poll.
4t huSrupotnssligoried ·
On Monday, September 28th, The BC Supreme Court is scheduled to hold a hearing which may determine the fate of Mountain Co-Op. Interested members of the public can attend using Microsoft Teams.
Information about how to attend will be posted in due course. The hearing may take up to two hours, and all the public can do is watch and listen. The court may 'blank' any part of the hearing relating to confidential matters."
Lundi, le 28 septembre, à la Cour suprême de la Colombie-Britannique, aura lieu une audience déterminante pour le sort de MEC, comme coopérative. Les membres intéressés peuvent y assister en ligne, en utilisant Microsoft Teams.
Les instructions seront transmises le moment venu. L'audience peut durer jusqu'à deux heures, tous et toutes peuvent regarder et écouter. La cour peut restreindre certaines parties pour des motifs de confidentialité.
Q: Do you plan to attend?
Q: Prévoyez-vous y assister?

EDIT

Hopefully someone here has a video capture setup to record it.
Images
  • Screenshot 2020-09-25 060106_Save_MEC.jpg
  • Screenshot 2020-09-25 060240.jpg
  • Screenshot 2020-09-25 060520.jpg
  • !!.png
  • Azu-nyan crying.gif
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Penalty Box
Feb 23, 2004
5757 posts
1780 upvotes
shylok wrote: Holy f.. Lol. You're old. I felt old remembering shopping there in 1990 or so. I feel better now Face With Tears Of Joy .. I remember buying a Swiss army knife and a backpack for school. They had the best quality backpacks.
I have a backpack from MEC from the mid 90s that is still going strong.
Nov 29, 2015
3 posts
1 upvote
Breslau, ON
There is still time to save the co-op. Go to savemec.ca for links to petitions, fundraising, and background info.

Join the FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/saveMEC for up-to-date info on what we're doing to find the vulture capitalists trying to buy MEC and board of directors who think their MBAs have somehow imbued them with superhuman intelligence.
Oct 15, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond HIll
We’ve been asked, “what is CCAA?” and “why don’t members vote on this decision?”
Our persistent financial challenges combined with the pandemic created a situation in which MEC became insolvent, and this necessitated a filing under CCAA. In CCAA, the court oversees the restructuring process to ensure fairness. A member vote (or in the case of corporations, a shareholder vote) is not required.
CCAA allows an organization to maintain its business ‘in the ordinary course’ while giving it the breathing room necessary to restructure its affairs. This is done to preserve as much of its business as possible for the benefit of employees, members/customers, suppliers and other stakeholders in the communities in which it operates.
What does this mean exactly? Are they saying that if management files under CCAA, they can sell the company without going through the shareholders? I'm kinda confused about the whole CO-OP thing in the first place. Members are supposed to be owners, so they have voting power. What happens to that now? Or is it that members just pay the membership fee to gain voting power, while not becoming shareholders? I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know how this all works.
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3200 posts
552 upvotes
Balduno wrote: I have a backpack from MEC from the mid 90s that is still going strong.
Those MEC backpacks were the in thing then, got it at when they were still on Front St in Toronto. I have my dad's membership somewhere... it's just a piece of laminated card stock with his name written on it. Ghetto even for the 90's.