• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 7:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2668 posts
595 upvotes

[MEC] Prana Stretch Zion Convertible Hiking Pants $58.97

Well-reviewed hiking pants. Zippers to convert to shorts.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-095/ ... ible-Pants
46 replies
May 9, 2010
403 posts
184 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought a pair of these 15 years ago at MEC and they still look great. They are among my favourite go-to fishing/camping/hiking/outdoor pants. I also have a pair of the Costco BC Clothing ones and I'd say these are superior (breathability, how quickly they dry, cleaner lines/not as frumpy looking).
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2624 posts
1809 upvotes
Toronto
Is it me or does the link op has not working?

Bought the BC ones when Costco was clearing them out for $5.97! Awesome pair at that price!!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10430 posts
6939 upvotes
some1not wrote: Is it me or does the link op has not working?

Bought the BC ones when Costco was clearing them out for $5.97! Awesome pair at that price!!
It's you. The link is fine.

It's an affiliated link, so if that's not working, it means you likely have pi hole or some ad blocking solution running on your end.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2940 posts
1436 upvotes
Kingston
I’ve bought a lot of convertible pants in my time as they are handy for travelling but the best by far have been the Kuhl brand ones which look good as pants due to the micro zippers and clever construction and also are great as shorts too. All the others look a bit goofy as pants and often have big zippers on the shorts portion.
Apr 19, 2021
9 posts
9 upvotes
YUL
SizzleChest wrote: https://www.costco.ca/bc-clothing-men's ... 78752.html

I'm sure Prana is superior to the BC Clothing ones I bought from Costco, but they seem decent. Still hard to justify more than twice the price though.
Prana are amazing quality clothes, and very environmental conscious (aside from more expensive). It’s like buying organic products and non organic. Sometimes it takes extra money to make sure our planet keeps going.
I can’t stop recommending this brand, but at the same time those Costco ones are pretty good for the low price that they offer. You can’t go wrong picking up a pair of both brands.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22684 posts
17710 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JC69 wrote: I’ve bought a lot of convertible pants in my time as they are handy for travelling but the best by far have been the Kuhl brand ones which look good as pants due to the micro zippers and clever construction and also are great as shorts too. All the others look a bit goofy as pants and often have big zippers on the shorts portion.
I too have bought several pairs of convertible hiking pants. Another consideration is the design of the zip-off legs. Most, and the Prana seem to be of this type, have only one zipper. That means you have to take off your hiking boots in order to take off or put on the leggings. That's a real problem on muddy terrain or in bad weather. It's also an added hassle regardless.

There's another design that adds a second zipper down the side of the leggings. That allows you to take off or put on the leggings without removing your boots. It's much easier to do that. IMO it's well worth getting this design even if it's more expensive.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 6, 2012
241 posts
67 upvotes
chatbox wrote: It's an affiliated link
That's annoying.

RFD should show it as it is: avantlink.com, and not mec.ca

Here's the straight url: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-095/Stretch-Zion-Convertible-Pants
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27309 posts
6898 upvotes
Hamilton
Wow. The Costco ones looks great!

Waiting for the lock down to be lifted and go in store clearance
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Aug 30, 2007
38 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
I can confirm, these are amazing pants.
Btw, comparing BC Clothing to Prana is like comparing a Corolla to a Tesla. Both fulfill their intended purpose, but not with the same user satisfaction.
Jan 11, 2013
79 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
The Costco ones are a great value but be aware, I find them quite heavy. Not sure about the weight of the Prana pants.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2339 posts
607 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
I own a couple different brands versions of convertible pants, including prana, mountain hardware, Columbia, and mountain Warehouse. The prana ones are definitely the best, but I would really recommend the normal Zion pants with the roll bottoms over any of the convertible pants.

The Zion fabric is really great for hiking or climbing but the zippers on the legs can get caught on your leg hair and pull it when climbing.. really annoying.

I find myself wearing the prana pants nine times out of ten with the mountain hardware being second place.

Whatever you do don't get the Columbia ones.. biggest waste of money the fabric is terrible, the zipper breaks after a few uses and the crotch is so tight even with the same inseam.. surprising difference in quality considering they're the same parent company.
May 24, 2019
87 posts
37 upvotes
Quebec
Bought those in november at 50$ and I can vouch the quality is great. Lots of pockets, quality materials, fit is great, look good imo. I was ready to buy a second pair even if the price is higher, but didn't find my size.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2374 posts
668 upvotes
Lévis
bylo wrote: I too have bought several pairs of convertible hiking pants. Another consideration is the design of the zip-off legs. Most, and the Prana seem to be of this type, have only one zipper. That means you have to take off your hiking boots in order to take off or put on the leggings. That's a real problem on muddy terrain or in bad weather. It's also an added hassle regardless.

There's another design that adds a second zipper down the side of the leggings. That allows you to take off or put on the leggings without removing your boots. It's much easier to do that. IMO it's well worth getting this design even if it's more expensive.
This. I was about to post the same. For outoor activities, it takes some long side zips, almost knee high. The best (not mandatory) is when the side zips goes all the way up to the zips used to convert them in shorts. Like this:
https://www.decathlon.ca/fr/pantalons-r ... ID=2564859
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 7, 2020
127 posts
183 upvotes
I can't believe Costco brand is being compared to these Prana's...man people love Costco here on RFD!
I have a pair of these and beat the hell out of them scrambling and hiking....still going strong after 4 years.

Unfortunately there are very few sizes left...I would of bought if more options were available.