Expired Hot Deals

[MEC] Timbuk2 Wingman 2 40L - (Carry-on Max. size) - $109 (on clearance)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2017 11:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1119 posts
193 upvotes

[MEC] Timbuk2 Wingman 2 40L - (Carry-on Max. size) - $109 (on clearance)

Hopefully RFDer will find this useful, with down votes in play, I am always worried posting lol.

I have one of these, absolute maximum size for carry on (no wheels), I used this with packing cubes to really maximize the volume. MEC had it for $158.00 now on clearance page for $109! + MEC membership fee.

A few features I found useful -
- Compartment for shoes, dirty cloths or toiletries (I used it for diapers, wipes etc. for my baby)
- Handles on all sides (to make taking the bag out of overhead bin easier, no matter which way you put it in)
- Straps to make it a backpack or straps to carry like a messenger bag
- compression strap inside (tie down packing cubes for myself)
- Carry-on maximum size, (but of course really subject to restrictions, have not had any problem on Westjet or AC for myself).

21 replies
Dec 6, 2005
540 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
Not a bad deal at all.
Since Timbuk2 moved their manufacturing offshore, the quality's gone down.

I also noticed that in looking at their website, a lot of the "carbon/fire" bags are on sale.
I purchased a Spire bag back on sale about a month ago.

The fabric is a coated nylon ripstop material that seems pretty durable.

Check http://www.timbuk2.com/content/faq.html for fabric material.

TLDR - Fabrics:

Lightweight: Ripstop.
Durability: Cordura Nylon.
Water Resistant : TPU, FARP, or Coated (Cordura) nylon.
Professional upscale look: Cotton Canvas, Waxed canvas, and Heirloom Canvas.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2103 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone's interested in this bag (previous Timbuk2 retail store employee), it's one of the most popular bags we sold for traveling simply because the bag is 40L which is standard carry on luggage capacity but is a shoulder bag AND has backpack straps built-in so you can adjust how you carry it depending on the scenario. All straps tuck away neatly when stored away too.

Yes the looks are subjective, but it's functionally one of the best for carry on luggage alternatives.

At the Timbuk2 store, I was going to suggest they price match, but they have it on sale as well for a better price:

Surplus - $115.50
Carbon Fire (the color listed) - $99

Call into the store OR email for availability and they offer $10 flat rate shipping within Canada (calling in or emailing the Toronto store to do so, don't order from the Timbuk2 website as that's US based).
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2194 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
FYI - if you go to the MEC site, they have an MEC branded bag of similar dimensions (the Fastrack), that is cheaper.

Although I like the Timbuk2 bag, the MEC one is better if you're travelling to places where pickpocketing is common (the main lockable zipper for the big compartment faces your back when you wear it like a backpack). Also, the iPad pocket and computer pocket for the Timbuk2 bag only has one non lockable zipper - not ideal for security.

I second beatdownvictim's opinion - their quality can be atrocious. I have a Timbuk2 duffel whose clips bent and broke under a 25kg load!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2103 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto
pablonutribar wrote: FYI - if you go to the MEC site, they have an MEC branded bag of similar dimensions (the Fastrack), that is cheaper.

Although I like the Timbuk2 bag, the MEC one is better if you're travelling to places where pickpocketing is common (the main lockable zipper for the big compartment faces your back when you wear it like a backpack). Also, the iPad pocket and computer pocket for the Timbuk2 bag only has one non lockable zipper - not ideal for security.

I second beatdownvictim's opinion - their quality can be atrocious. I have a Timbuk2 duffel whose clips bent and broke under a 25kg load!
As someone who's worked for Timbuk2, I would say they do offer lifetime manufacturing warranty (so any defects due to construction and not accidents and knives), but as a realist, their warranty process if very cumbersome and takes quite a while to deal with. I'm not sure about MECs warranty, but as a consumer, those features definitely are appealing in the MEC bag.

Do note it's a different form factor as well, with the MEC being a duffel shape and the Wingman being a flatter style. Timbuk2 had brand recognition aspect to it for cyclists and for having tough bags, but yeah, things aren't the same anymore which you can tell in their recent bag lines of a missing identity and trying to compete with other brands like Herschel with their lifestyle bags.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2194 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
vtse wrote: As someone who's worked for Timbuk2, I would say they do offer lifetime manufacturing warranty (so any defects due to construction and not accidents and knives), but as a realist, their warranty process if very cumbersome and takes quite a while to deal with. I'm not sure about MECs warranty, but as a consumer, those features definitely are appealing in the MEC bag.

Do note it's a different form factor as well, with the MEC being a duffel shape and the Wingman being a flatter style. Timbuk2 had brand recognition aspect to it for cyclists and for having tough bags, but yeah, things aren't the same anymore which you can tell in their recent bag lines of a missing identity and trying to compete with other brands like Herschel with their lifestyle bags.
The Fastrack Shoulder Bag is exactly the same form factor as the Timbuk2 bag. I've seen both side by side. In fact, I reckon MEC created the Fastrack to compete with the Timbuk2 bag but at a lower price point.
Aug 2, 2014
331 posts
255 upvotes
Vancity
I just ordered this sucker from the website. I live near the Washington state border so I just ship to a PO box.
I used code PLUS15 for an extra 15% off.
Came to $54 USD after Washington state tax. Works out to about $72 CAD after my PO box fee.

There are plenty of "nicer" bags than this one, but I am using this bag in an industrial setting and I need it to hold a lot of volume.
I chose the black nylon in medium size. Is the "carbon ripstop" material more study?

Honestly if you leave near the US border and are looking for a bag, there are some great deals on timbuk2.com
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2103 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto
pablonutribar wrote: The Fastrack Shoulder Bag is exactly the same form factor as the Timbuk2 bag. I've seen both side by side. In fact, I reckon MEC created the Fastrack to compete with the Timbuk2 bag but at a lower price point.
Ah, I was just basing it off the website photos which make it look rounder than the Wingman. I never followed MEC much, although they carry a lot of bags I think are cool too, most notably the Boreas Gear line.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1155 posts
854 upvotes
Brampton
Can anyone suggest a backpack I can use as a unisex diaper backpack? I have a baby coming in August and those diaper bags are hella expensive and ugly.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2194 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
picklesandcheese wrote: When I was shopping for a bag like this I checked out the Fast Track. It's definately less functional and lower quality. I went with the Patagonia Headway MLC but this Timbuk 2 looks great for the price.

I've actually bought both the bags (although I gave one to my brother).

First things first - the Fastrack bag is definitely not of lower quality (but it isn't as fancy as the Timbuk2). It will take a beating. As previously stated, for the security conscious, the Fastrack is superior. I suppose the Timbuk2 looks better, but whether the functionality is worth the risk that things can be stolen easier from the Timbuk2 bag really depends on your travel habits. I spend time in places where theft and pickpocketing are common, and the Timbuk2 would require more vigilance to keep safe. I should also add that the nondescript appearance of the Fastrack is another benefit of using it in ghetto places.
Last edited by pablonutribar on Jul 24th, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4591 posts
273 upvotes
Vancity
picklesandcheese wrote: When I was shopping for a bag like this I checked out the Fast Track. It's definately less functional and lower quality. I went with the Patagonia Headway MLC but this Timbuk 2 looks great for the price.
I am currently looking for a combo duffel/backpack as well, were there any other brands/models you were looking at?

So far, the Aer Duffel Pack seems to check all the boxes, however it is pricey.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2194 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
sonick wrote: I am currently looking for a combo duffel/backpack as well, were there any other brands/models you were looking at?

So far, the Aer Duffel Pack seems to check all the boxes, however it is pricey.
The real difficulty with combo Duffel/backpacks is that the shoulder straps need to be comfortable for longer wear. So far, I haven't found a pack that offers storage capacity AND comfort.