ZOLEO Satellite Communicator w/ Free Gaia GPS Premium Membership $198.97

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2021 1:28 pm
[OP]
Feb 4, 2020
76 posts
116 upvotes

[MEC] ZOLEO Satellite Communicator w/ Free Gaia GPS Premium Membership $198.97

The deal is back for those who missed out a few months ago. Also available on Amazon and London Drugs but $1.02 more compared to MEC, lol.

Don't think I'll take advantage of the Gaia membership promo since I already have AllTrails but for those who are interested, check out the terms and conditions here:

https://www.zoleo.com/en-ca/promotion
10 replies
May 10, 2016
558 posts
938 upvotes
adizac wrote: Don't think I'll take advantage of the Gaia membership promo since I already have AllTrails but for those who are interested, check out the terms and conditions here:
Gaia is a very different product than AllTrails. AllTrails targets novice hikers who want a guided experience; Gaia is better for more experienced backcountry and 4x4 enthusiasts who want more data and control. The big advantage AllTrails has is its inventory of trails with reviews and comments. Gaia has curated trails but not nearly as many and no user reviews (tons are shown on the maps though).

What it does have is a ton of layers. Some of my favourites are:
  • Backroads Mapbooks - a much more thorough map of Canadian backroads (doesn't include POIs though :( )
  • Backroads Mapbooks trails - all the trails found in the paper backroads mapbooks (hiking and 4x4ing)
  • World Imagery - a better satellite imagery layer than All Trails uses
  • Slope angle - shows colour coded slopes to assess avalanche risk for backcountry skiing
  • Snow stations - clickable weather stations to check conditions across BC and the US.
  • Wildfire heat map - A nearly live map of wildfires. I used this extensively this summer to plan our routes in the Kootenays
  • Smoke forecast - a 72 forecast of wildfire smoke coverage
  • FreshSat - low resolution satellite imagery updated every few days (great for assessing snowpack)
  • Custom layers - I've added a map of logging road gates on Vancouver Island, several 4x4 trail maps in Alberta, etc.
  • Nat Geo Parks - National Geographic maps of US National Parks

There's probably over a hundred other layers to use depending on what you're doing and where in the world you are.
Jun 18, 2016
978 posts
3107 upvotes
Gaia is for 6 months (roughly $20 savings).

My complaint with Zoleo is that it’s more expensive than others for service. Cheapest plan is $25 with a 3 month commitment and $25 activation fee.

Inreach is $20/mo with $50/year surcharge, but a minimum of 1 month only.
Aug 23, 2010
986 posts
484 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote: Gaia is for 6 months (roughly $20 savings).

My complaint with Zoleo is that it’s more expensive than others for service. Cheapest plan is $25 with a 3 month commitment and $25 activation fee.

Can you pause the sub with Inreach now? I was, for whatever reason, under the impression that pausing was not an option with that service.

It's not the main part of the deal obviously but I picked up a year of Gaia a while back when it was on @ 50% off and really like it. The map layers are extremely handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2627 posts
5838 upvotes
Vancouver
MooseV2 wrote: Gaia is for 6 months (roughly $20 savings).

You forgot the spot devices, yes it doesn't have global pole to pole coverage but it covers pretty much all the landmasses of the world

If you don't need that coverage, spot is way cheaper AND you get a permanent phone # unlike the inreaches
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2627 posts
5838 upvotes
Vancouver
Rustycage wrote: Can you pause the sub with Inreach now? I was, for whatever reason, under the impression that pausing was not an option with that service.

It's not the main part of the deal obviously but I picked up a year of Gaia a while back when it was on @ 50% off and really like it. The map layers are extremely handy.
Inreach has always been pausable, at least since 2013 when I first started using it

My biggest problem with inreach was the expensive up front cost of the devices and the fact that you don't get a permanent phone #
May 10, 2016
558 posts
938 upvotes
Rustycage wrote: Can you pause the sub with Inreach now? I was, for whatever reason, under the impression that pausing was not an option with that service.
On the Freedom plans you can change or pause your subscription monthly but it's a bit more expensive; on the Annual plans you can't but it's cheaper. It's been like that for years.

Pricing details here.
Jun 18, 2016
978 posts
3107 upvotes
danascully wrote: You forgot the spot devices, yes it doesn't have global pole to pole coverage but it covers pretty much all the landmasses of the world

If you don't need that coverage, spot is way cheaper AND you get a permanent phone # unlike the inreaches
I didn't forget Spot, it's just not cheaper (except for the hardware).

$19/month + $25 activation + $32 yearly charge.
Activation gets charged every time you pause/resume your plan.

So if you use have it active for 3 months per year you pay (19*3+25+32)=$114. With Inreach you pay (20*3+50)=$110.
Garmin is even better if you do a couple periods per year. Say Feb+Mar, June-Aug, and November.

Inreach = (20*2 + 20*3 + 20 + 50) = $170
Spot = (19*2 + 25 + 19*3 + 25 + 19 + 25 + 32) = $221
Aug 23, 2010
986 posts
484 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote: I didn't forget Spot, it's just not cheaper (except for the hardware).

So if you use have it active for 3 months per year you pay (19*3+25+32)=$114. With Inreach you pay (20*3+50)=$110.
Garmin is even better if you do a couple periods per year. Say Feb+Mar, June-Aug, and November.

Just read through Zoleo pricing so wanted to add that to your example. Looks like they charge you $5/month while suspended but no reactivation fee after suspension so:

3 months/year: 25*3 + 5*9 = $120
Few periods/year: 25*2 + 25*3 + 25 + 5*6 = $180

This does not take into account the fact that you have to activate for the first 3 months @ $75 so that needs to be considered for your planned use. If you are only planning on 3 months/year (example #1) there is no added cost where you would have to add $25 in example #2

Zoleo = 25 messages
Inreach = 10 messages

Edit: I suppose another way to look at it for Zoleo would be that they charge $60/year (5*12) and $20/month for the service.
Last edited by Rustycage on Nov 16th, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2627 posts
5838 upvotes
Vancouver
MooseV2 wrote: I didn't forget Spot, it's just not cheaper (except for the hardware).

You're making the mistake of comparing the raw cost only

You get way more service for what you're paying. Unlimited tracking, more messages, on the basic plan alone compartively
Oct 4, 2020
10 posts
6 upvotes
danascully wrote: You're making the mistake of comparing the raw cost only

You get way more service for what you're paying. Unlimited tracking, more messages, on the basic plan alone compartively
Except that SPOT isn't on the iridium satellite network and is unreliable in tree cover, valleys, and during stormy days. I tried SPOT for a couple weeks and returned it due to intermittent connectivity.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)