Wheels and Tires

Mechanic balanced my tires, now steering wheel is stiff?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 2:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1371 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto

Mechanic balanced my tires, now steering wheel is stiff?

Hi,

I had told the mechanic to balance the tires, and after I got the car back, I noticed that the steering wheel is stiff and not as smooth as it was before the balancing.

What could be the issue here?
Last edited by awaisuk on Jun 23rd, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
May 17, 2018
201 posts
83 upvotes
awaisuk wrote: I had told the mechanic to balance the tires, and after I got the car back, I noticed that the handle is stiff and not as smooth as it was before the balancing.

What could be the issue here?

I assume you mean handling, not the driver's side door handle. Either way, I wouldn't expect tire balancing to affect the matter in question.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1371 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
I meant to say steering wheel is very stiff now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6303 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a newer car, check if you can adjust the steering from comfort to sports for example. Maybe that's all it needs to switch back to comfort mode. I do like the more heavier and stiff sports mode.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
The only thing he could do that would affect your steering is under inflate the tires, that would make it feel like it was a bit heavier. Check your tire pressure and make sure it's the recommended. If it is, maybe you had them over inflated before.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: If you have a newer car, check if you can adjust the steering from comfort to sports for example. Maybe that's all it needs to switch back to comfort mode. I do like the more heavier and stiff sports mode.
Jesus, new cars have this stupid "feature" now??
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote: Jesus, new cars have this stupid "feature" now??
Welcome to this century.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1371 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: The only thing he could do that would affect your steering is under inflate the tires, that would make it feel like it was a bit heavier. Check your tire pressure and make sure it's the recommended. If it is, maybe you had them over inflated before.
I checked the tires, and the tire pressure were low....so that might be it! Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7663 posts
4574 upvotes
Mississauga
One time I got my car back after having new tires installed and they were filled to 42 psi. Do these monkeys not even read the tire pressure sticker on the door jamb?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18658 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
isnt tire pressure dpendent on the stock tires/rims? say my stock is 15inch rims with 195/xx stock tires...and i put aftermarket rims 17inchs and tires of different size? anyways i like to put in more air into the tires... = better fuel but worse handling right
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
mikka2017 wrote: isnt tire pressure dpendent on the stock tires/rims? say my stock is 15inch rims with 195/xx stock tires...and i put aftermarket rims 17inchs and tires of different size? anyways i like to put in more air into the tires... = better fuel but worse handling right
Wrong. Tire pressure are part and parcel of your suspension system these days. The proper pressures are on the label on the door post. Pressures should remain the same regardless what tires you put on the car. If you put on larger rims, all you will do is mess up your speedometer.
The wheel and tire diameter needs to remain the same in order for your speedometer to red properly. Steering should be the same unless your tire starts rubbing. If you are going from a 15 inch wheel to a 17 inch wheel then your tires need to be lower profile.
Jun 19, 2009
989 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: One time I got my car back after having new tires installed and they were filled to 42 psi. Do these monkeys not even read the tire pressure sticker on the door jamb?
Someone else can confirm or dispel, but I recall reading that installers will overinflate newly installed tires so they seal better on the rim.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
morpheus_1987 wrote: Someone else can confirm or dispel, but I recall reading that installers will overinflate newly installed tires so they seal better on the rim.
When installing a tire on a rim, you do overinflated the tire to seat the tire bead to the rim but, you are supposed to set the pressures according to the suggested pressures on the door placard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)