• Jan 14th, 2021 4:20 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2015
325 posts
95 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations

Hey all,

I've used a laptop for about a decade and recently built my first PC. Looking into getting a mechanical keyboard because the old ones we have laying around are ... not great.

I would be going for Red or Brown Switches. Usage is primarily productivity/working, with some light gaming as well.

Budget of about $120 pre-tax. Does anyone have recommendations on the best bang for the buck at that budget level? First time looking for a keyboard in ages so I am quite new to this.

Note: I am not necessarily opposed to spending more than $120 if there is a strong justification for it.

TIA!
11 replies
Sep 30, 2020
88 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these and am happy with it. But I'm not really a gamer so am no expert. :) I just use it sometimes to change up the typing feel (and the clicking feel and sound can be so satisfying). No issues with it so far and I like the illumination if you're using it at low light.

Eagletec KG010 Mechanical Keyboard
[OP]
Dec 19, 2015
325 posts
95 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Thanks for the rec!

Do you know what the difference is between the two? There's like a $30 price difference.

Also would you happen to know if the keys are replaceable with like a typical Cherry MX Red key? Just in case anything happens.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1552 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
birdbird wrote: Thanks for the rec!

Do you know what the difference is between the two? There's like a $30 price difference.

Also would you happen to know if the keys are replaceable with like a typical Cherry MX Red key? Just in case anything happens.
k556 is made of metal.

I think they are replaceable as I read discussions on Reddragon keyboards elsewhere online. But, shoot the seller a message if you want.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*

🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2015
325 posts
95 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Terabithia wrote: k556 is made of metal.

I think they are replaceable as I read discussions on Reddragon keyboards elsewhere online. But, shoot the seller a message if you want.
I don't think the switches are hotswappable, but will look into it more.

Does anyone have experience with GMMK or Keychron keyboards?

HyperX looks interesting as well.
Apr 30, 2013
742 posts
404 upvotes
King City
Once you do your research you'll find that redragon, razer, corsair are all sh.it.

For that price, look at Das Keyboard, Mike's Computer Shop has it on sale time to time for about $130. Little over your budget.

SteelSeries looks ok as well.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10350 posts
6818 upvotes
In the $100+ range, it's Das, Ducky, Drop...and up up from there.
Sep 7, 2018
883 posts
903 upvotes
I've got a Hyperx TKL with aqua switches (similiar to brown but more tactile, not as loud as blue, louder than red) -- was on sale for 99.99 and it is heavy duty, solid metal

avoid those chinese clone types, they have unreliable switches (looking at you aukey and reddragon)

https://hyperxgaming.ca/collections/gam ... 8770329759
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1419 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
Got a Redragon k522-rgb at Canada computers for $29. The led are individually addressable, which is really nice for gaming. It has the blue keys but i added the o-rings to dampen the sound. The 81 key layout is nice if you are a programmer (easy to access to ~ and /). Personally i like this one the most out of all my mechanical keyboards.

Also own more expensive ones (Logitech and Drevo) with real MX cherry keys (one red and one brown). Honestly i found the Cherry keys take too much effort to press. It really slows down my typing speed. YMMV since it really depends on your personal preference.

Not sure how long the Redragon will last, but at its price point i can easily buy 5 of them and it's still cheaper than my other keyboards.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2015
325 posts
95 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
freeforall wrote: Once you do your research you'll find that redragon, razer, corsair are all sh.it.

For that price, look at Das Keyboard, Mike's Computer Shop has it on sale time to time for about $130. Little over your budget.

SteelSeries looks ok as well.
chatbox wrote: In the $100+ range, it's Das, Ducky, Drop...and up up from there.
superscoots wrote: I've got a Hyperx TKL with aqua switches (similiar to brown but more tactile, not as loud as blue, louder than red) -- was on sale for 99.99 and it is heavy duty, solid metal

avoid those chinese clone types, they have unreliable switches (looking at you aukey and reddragon)

https://hyperxgaming.ca/collections/gam ... 8770329759
csi123 wrote: Got a Redragon k522-rgb at Canada computers for $29. The led are individually addressable, which is really nice for gaming. It has the blue keys but i added the o-rings to dampen the sound. The 81 key layout is nice if you are a programmer (easy to access to ~ and /). Personally i like this one the most out of all my mechanical keyboards.

Also own more expensive ones (Logitech and Drevo) with real MX cherry keys (one red and one brown). Honestly i found the Cherry keys take too much effort to press. It really slows down my typing speed. YMMV since it really depends on your personal preference.

Not sure how long the Redragon will last, but at its price point i can easily buy 5 of them and it's still cheaper than my other keyboards.
Thanks for all the replies!

Will look into Das Keyboard.

I've looked at Ducky, Keychron, GMMK, HyperX and I think those are probably the front-runners at the moment.

I'm worried the Keychron might be a little too thick, the reviews say it is a really thick body.

Price would be the concern for Ducky, GMMK, HyperX.

I'm really not sure if I need a numpad, I do use it daily (have had a numpad on my laptop keyboards every time), but not that often per day. Has anyone gone from full 104 ANSI to TKL?
Sep 7, 2018
883 posts
903 upvotes
birdbird wrote: Thanks for all the replies!

Will look into Das Keyboard.

I've looked at Ducky, Keychron, GMMK, HyperX and I think those are probably the front-runners at the moment.

I'm worried the Keychron might be a little too thick, the reviews say it is a really thick body.

Price would be the concern for Ducky, GMMK, HyperX.

I'm really not sure if I need a numpad, I do use it daily (have had a numpad on my laptop keyboards every time), but not that often per day. Has anyone gone from full 104 ANSI to TKL?
I do miss the num pad for punching in my 2fa codes but I do like the smaller footprint.