• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2009 10:26 am
[OP]
Feb 23, 2009
122 posts

Med School

Hi guys. I am entering the Gr. 12. I have been enrolled in the International Baccalaureate programme since gr. 7. I have received solid marks last year (a few 100's included) and am looking into what I what to pursue after gr. 12. Med seems to be the overhyped choice that most people want to take. Looking at the hopeless situation in the Canadian medical education system there are a very low number of seats available after BsC. Although the minimum requirement for med school is 3 years university, it makes sense to take BSc in life sciences or health sciences. But my question is, is it worth it to complete BSc and then apply or apply after the 3rd year? What are the chances of making in the 3rd year? How big is the competition? I am considering other options as well such as the Caribbean, where they have a 5 year MD programme right after high school, 3 of which are theory in the Caribbean and the remaining two in the US learning the clinical part. After which you have to take the USMLE or LCMM depending on whether you want to live in Canada or US. After clearing the USMLE then you can apply for the residency of your choice in the States (LCMM for Canada). Does anyone have experience with the Caribbean schools?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2495 posts
447 upvotes
Going to the Caribbean seems only to be the choice for people who can't get into Canadian schools.

Your goal is to get out of school as early as possible, so getting into med school after three years of undergrad is better. It's obviously more difficult, but you would know at the time whether or not you have a chance. If you think you do, go ahead and apply at that point.

For now, just go into undergrad and work hard at it. See what you enjoy doing, and if your interests remain on track.

Don't worry about how many spots are available, or what the competition is. Just do the best you can, and worry about nothing else.

Good luck.
Jul 4, 2009
267 posts
Phlegmbot wrote: Don't worry about how many spots are available, or what the competition is. Just do the best you can, and worry about nothing else.
I agree.

Just work hard.

Volunteer at a hospital, etc etc.

There are also other health care jobs to consider.

Determination, motivation, high energy, work ethic, focus on your goal.

Eat healthy- no more junk food (sugar, soda pop, chips, deep-fried food, etc)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1227 posts
134 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I agree with the above posters as well. work hard during undergrad and try for Cdn schools first and apply to american schools as a backup. Caribbean should be your last option assuming u can't get into CDN or US schools. Check out student doctor network forums for more info.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10376 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Getting your MD in the Caribbean will allow you to practice in Canada?
Jul 12, 2009
6 posts
Aznsilvrboy wrote: Getting your MD in the Caribbean will allow you to practice in Canada?
No, Canada is very restrictive and only allows doctors from Canada(there are some exceptions ie uk but they have to redo residency and pass exams). They probably wont reconise the degree from the caribbean but you can practice in the caribbean.
Jul 4, 2009
267 posts
There was a Canadian doctor in the news who badly damaged his patients (surgery). He graduated from a Caribbean med school.

So that means Canada recognized his Caribbean degree.
Jul 12, 2009
6 posts
lazertazer wrote: There was a Canadian doctor in the news who badly damaged his patients (surgery). He graduated from a Caribbean med school.

So that means Canada recognized his Caribbean degree.
The policies are very strict. Even if they recognize it, you must redo residency (2 years) (you are competing with canadians for spots) and pass canadian certification exams. If you do that when looking for a job as a doc, your resume will show that you were educated in the carribean.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1026 posts
383 upvotes
Markham
looks like you're on the right track with your work ethic, keep it up and med school outlook for you should be good if you choose to study in Canada. Damn, don't I sound terribly cliche? :)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24755 posts
3055 upvotes
Montreal
Do a degree program you find useful and interesting first, then worry about med school.

Also, Quebec takes students in an accelerated MD program (5 years) out of CEGEP. Only open to Quebec residents though.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1068 posts
66 upvotes
Let me set this straight.

To be honest, if eventually you want to practise medicine in Canada in an area of speciality that you enjoy. Do your meds school in Canada! Not even US, Caribbean, Ireland or whatever.

CMA and RCPC or RCSC have very strict requirements to practise. If you grads from outside of Canada, you will have to write an exam and then go thru IMG matching into a residency program in Canada (usually very limited choice on program and can restrict you to practice in underservice area).

Good luck, your best bet is to search up requirement for IMG (international medical graduates) and see how they can practice in Canada
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1227 posts
134 upvotes
Brampton, ON
activejs wrote: No, Canada is very restrictive and only allows doctors from Canada(there are some exceptions ie uk but they have to redo residency and pass exams). They probably wont reconise the degree from the caribbean but you can practice in the caribbean.
please do not spread misinformation. Many caribbean schools are recognized in both Canada and all 50 states. After graduating from these schools, you can apply for residency in both countries. However (and this is why I don't recommed going to the caribbean), your chances of obtaining a residency in canada are very low. Also, your chances of getting into one of the more competitive specialities in the states are significantly reduced. So you should head to the caribbean only if you are content with getting a primary care speciality (family med, internal med, psychiatry etc) and you don't mind doing residency in the states. Keep in mind that once you are licensed in the states, coming back to practice in canada is relatively straight forward.
Feb 6, 2009
55 posts
This post is getting out of hand. The pros/cons of Carribean schools? Are you people serious? OP is in HIGH SCHOOL.

I will get back to the OP and add my smartass commentary.
Hi guys. I am entering the Gr. 12. I have been enrolled in the International Baccalaureate programme since gr. 7. I have received solid marks last year (a few 100's included) and am looking into what I what to pursue after gr. 12.
You are still in highschool. You should be concentrating on having fun and getting good enough grades to get into university. Oh, and no one cares about IB.
Med seems to be the overhyped choice that most people want to take. Looking at the hopeless situation in the Canadian medical education system there are a very low number of seats available after BsC.

HUH? Overhyped? Among some students, maybe. I have no idea what you are trying to saying in your second sentence.
Although the minimum requirement for med school is 3 years university, it makes sense to take BSc in life sciences or health sciences.

It makes sense to take any program as long as you get a strong GPA if your goal is med school.
But my question is, is it worth it to complete BSc and then apply or apply after the 3rd year? What are the chances of making in the 3rd year? How big is the competition?

Nothing stops you from trying. Odds are you won't get in after 3rd year. Chances are better if you wait to get in after your 4th year.
I am considering other options as well such as the Caribbean, where they have a 5 year MD programme right after high school, 3 of which are theory in the Caribbean and the remaining two in the US learning the clinical part. After which you have to take the USMLE or LCMM depending on whether you want to live in Canada or US. After clearing the USMLE then you can apply for the residency of your choice in the States (LCMM for Canada). Does anyone have experience with the Caribbean schools?
I don't get your point. Why don't you graduate highschool, go to University, get some good grades and worry about USMLE/residency/etc then.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1099 posts
236 upvotes
nerdonsite wrote: please do not spread misinformation. Many caribbean schools are recognized in both Canada and all 50 states. After graduating from these schools, you can apply for residency in both countries. However (and this is why I don't recommed going to the caribbean), your chances of obtaining a residency in canada are very low. Also, your chances of getting into one of the more competitive specialities in the states are significantly reduced. So you should head to the caribbean only if you are content with getting a primary care speciality (family med, internal med, psychiatry etc) and you don't mind doing residency in the states. Keep in mind that once you are licensed in the states, coming back to practice in canada is relatively straight forward.
While I usually avoid these threads like the plague, you aren't being entirely accurate. Carib schools are not recognized in the sense they are not LCME accredited. Thus, they are no different than if you went to medical school in Kazakhastan or Uruguay (to name some random examples off my head).

The only reasonable reply has been from koft, but I would expect that given he is a resident.