• Oct 8th, 2017 9:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto

Media Player for offline use when traveling

I have a bunch of media players but they seem to be less than ideal for traveling. I want to be able to plug a player into a TV’s hdmi port in order to play videos ( mp4, mov, avi, xvid) on the TV. I would like the player to have a remote. I would put the videos on some usb device ( portable hard drive, flash drive, MicroSD card). Doesn’t have to do anything beyond 1080p, in fact 720p is fine. I will not have internet access. I have access to

- Roku 3 - not to familiar with
- Fire TV stick - seems to require internet access
- Apple TV gen 4 ( no usb so that is problem out)
- Shield TV - prefer to not travel with

Do not want to cast, Airplay, etc ... prefer very portable solution. Does not have to be any of the above.

Does anyone know of a player that will work properly, is small and reliable? If not then will any of the listed players work somehow with local content?

Thank you...philip
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2128 posts
330 upvotes
Intel compute stick or Hipstreet PC2Go if you can still find one used from someone? The Hipstreet comes with a BT combo keyboard mouse and I think the Intel doesn't, I believe, so you'd have to get one. They have usb ports and microsd slots that can be used for video storage.
Jun 18, 2017
216 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
I was looking for something similar to use for presentations on a boardroom projector and came across a lot of stuff like this:
http://www.dx.com/p/mini-1080p-full-hd- ... ack-249166

Have no idea how good the player software is though, but my guess is that it will never ever get updated (and probably have terrible typos). We ended up just buying a Smart TV, but it might be applicable to your situation.
That's my name...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions. The Intel compute stick would do if it weren’t for the remote issue. I just don’t want to carry a keyboard! The dx.com option is also interesting but maybe risky in terms of quality? Seems similar to the

Micca Speck G2 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards

which is available on Amazon.ca.

Seems odd that there isn’t more information about something like this.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3279 posts
1218 upvotes
Toronto
pmcd wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 6:15 pm
I just don’t want to carry a keyboard!
You can get small folding Bluetooth keyboards that fold up to the size of TV remote.
I've got one that is a little smaller than my Rogers cable remote.
https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/pocket
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12027 posts
1525 upvotes
Kanata
Just get any small android box, with a small USB remote.
Mar 11, 2011
720 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 9:00 am
Just get any small android box, with a small USB remote.
I second this. And the box will come with a remote.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
46jimbo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:33 am
I second this. And the box will come with a remote.
Don’t these boxes require a network, or would that just be in the initial setup? Then Kodi would handle any local playback such as flash drive, etc...? Have always used a NAS and mainly PleX. In any case, any advice for a compact player with a remote that works?

Edit: I already have a Shield TV and a Fire TV. Would these do? I seemed to have trouble with the Fire TV. It wanted internet access. Didn’t try with the Shield as it’s my main player and I don’t want to disturb it unless necessary. Are there hdmi Android sticks with remotes that would work?
Jun 21, 2008
425 posts
99 upvotes
mississauga
pmcd wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 4:28 pm
I have a bunch of media players but they seem to be less than ideal for traveling. I want to be able to plug a player into a TV’s hdmi port in order to play videos ( mp4, mov, avi, xvid) on the TV. I would like the player to have a remote. I would put the videos on some usb device ( portable hard drive, flash drive, MicroSD card). Doesn’t have to do anything beyond 1080p, in fact 720p is fine. I will not have internet access. I have access to

- Roku 3 - not to familiar with
- Fire TV stick - seems to require internet access
- Apple TV gen 4 ( no usb so that is problem out)
- Shield TV - prefer to not travel with

Do not want to cast, Airplay, etc ... prefer very portable solution. Does not have to be any of the above.

Does anyone know of a player that will work properly, is small and reliable? If not then will any of the listed players work somehow with local content?

Thank you...philip
i use the following, works fine for me

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... wsignin1.0
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8467 posts
1457 upvotes
Winnipeg
firetv works without internet. It just won't let you acess spmc thru the home page. You hit the middle button and go thru app settings and launch it from there. Used it all summer without internet at the lake
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5474 posts
1638 upvotes
Space
If you can find one, look for a wd live hub. Integrated 1-2TB hard drive and plays almost all formats. It’s not the fastest machine but it works well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7262 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto
Raspberry Pi II or III with appropriate s/w and h/w. Choices are pretty much limitless.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:06 am
If you can find one, look for a wd live hub. Integrated 1-2TB hard drive and plays almost all formats. It’s not the fastest machine but it works well.
Yes, they are nice but really hard to find. They are even expensive used.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:12 am
Raspberry Pi II or III with appropriate s/w and h/w. Choices are pretty much limitless.
The limitless part is a negative. Too many options and then there’s the remote issue. The nice thing about something like a Fire TV is no maintenance, adapts to a variety of screen sizes and the remote just works.