Mediator suggestion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2009
309 posts
84 upvotes

Mediator suggestion

I'm going through an amicable divorce (as amicable as they can be anyway) and my former partner and I are trying to separate as inexpensively as possible. A recent Toronto Star article (https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... quits.html) mentions mediator costs run from between $100 - $300 hour.

Both my ex and I have looked around and have trouble finding anyone at even a $200/hr price point, most ask for retainers of several thousand dollars.

I'm hoping someone has used a mediator in the GTA and can offer a referral.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2787 posts
1337 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have any experience with this at all but if you and your ex are on OK terms then could you just sit down for a couple of hours and try to split everything up yourself based on what you have now? LIke, money in the bank, RRSPs, property, etc. It might take more than the 1 session but maybe start from there and see if you two can do this on your own.

For the smaller items, maybe you two can just choose stuff, such as, the TV, computer, kitchen stuff, sofa, etc.

If you have kids and/or pets then try and figure this out in the 1st session since this is probably the most important decision.

I'm not saying this will work out or that this is the answer but maybe give it a try and see if it works for you two.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Mar 14, 2009
309 posts
84 upvotes
With house/cars/retirement funds/etc it's unwieldy. Stuff isn't a big deal to either of us.

Best to lean on an expert.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
If you and your wife want to divorce the cheapest way is to file a joint application. Just download the form and fill it out. No need for a lawyer.

However, you willl need to agree on things, such as asset division, spousal support, and if you have kids, custody and child support.

If you can decide for yourself, then draft a separation agreement. Templates are available online. If not, then mediate via third party mediator.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4030 posts
2512 upvotes
Ottawa
Pfizer wrote: With house/cars/retirement funds/etc it's unwieldy. Stuff isn't a big deal to either of us.

Best to lean on an expert.
Well if stuff isn't important it shouldn't be too unwieldy. A mediator will tell you what a court would decide which may lead to a "fair" resolution. You might be able to decide together better what is fair. If you have similar incomes each keep what is yours and go on your way. Yes if one was staying at home the "what's fair" becomes more complicated.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2636 posts
1018 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pfizer wrote: Best to lean on an expert.
Just for my curiosity, why is it "best" to lean on an expert? If you can get "not best but good enough and a lot less expensive", do you still go for the "best"? And you dont even know if the "best" is still the "best". Maybe what you think as "best" maybe "crappy"...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)