2019 Air Miles Mega Miles

MegaMiles 2019 - DEPARTURE LOUNGE (a place to CHECK IN with other RFDers doing the MMs 2019 Event)

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 7:16 am
Tags:
None
Dec 20, 2011
328 posts
84 upvotes
Windsor, On
Ontario. This one for me is pretty easy. Hoping to do 2 cards. Love this new thread format! So organized - and can get answers to specific offers without scrolling through 1000 post. Thanks for setting it up and your time.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3061 posts
2066 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks so much to PointsHubby for organizing this MM promo.

I learned from the last promo that I need to have a spreadsheet to manage multiple AM cards, otherwise it becomes unmanageable and I'll miss getting the partners at certain limited time periods. For example, the Rexall 190AM/$20 and Jean Coutu 85AM/$10 redemptions happen in the weekdays only Mon-Thur/Fri Mar 25-28/29 so they are easily missed with everything else happening in your busy schedule. I think the early expiration offers should be listed at the top of the MM forum to make it easier for members to spot.

I have columns for the card # and rows for the retailer with dates and items to get. I can see at a glance which partner to complete at what week without pulling my hair out. I managed to complete 24 partner counts and got 6K BAMs for 3 AM cards even after missing out Samsung and IGA.
Also when you redeem AMs in the store, it's best to do the following in sequence every time since the cashiers have missed them for me multiple times when we are in a hurry. They always missed scanning the coupon because they are not familiar with the process.
1. Scan the AM card,
2. Scan the coupon/bar code
3. Pay (with BMO AM CC)

If you have a spouse, it's worth it to get an AM card for each person, even now at the start of the promo. I've accumulated all the BAMs on the last 2 promos.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8270 posts
5721 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gumby wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 12:17 am
Thanks so much to PointsHubby for organizing this MM promo.

I learned from the last promo that I need to have a spreadsheet to manage multiple AM cards, otherwise it becomes unmanageable and I'll miss getting the partners at certain limited time periods. For example, the Rexall 190AM/$20 and Jean Coutu 85AM/$10 redemptions happen in the weekdays only Mon-Thur/Fri Mar 25-28/29 so they are easily missed with everything else happening in your busy schedule. I think the early expiration offers should be listed at the top of the MM forum to make it easier for members to spot.

I have columns for the card # and rows for the retailer with dates and items to get. I can see at a glance which partner to complete at what week without pulling my hair out. I managed to complete 24 partner counts and got 6K BAMs for 3 AM cards even after missing out Samsung and IGA.
Also when you redeem AMs in the store, it's best to do the following in sequence every time since the cashiers have missed them for me multiple times when we are in a hurry. They always missed scanning the coupon because they are not familiar with the process.
1. Scan the AM card,
2. Scan the coupon/bar code
3. Pay (with BMO AM CC)

If you have a spouse, it's worth it to get an AM card for each person, even now at the start of the promo. I've accumulated all the BAMs on the last 2 promos.
Good post.
Although I didn’t fully understand the last bit
Are you saying each person should have their individual AMs Accounts
Or...
That your Spouse can get a copy of your card for your account

There is quite a debate about each here on RFD

The latter is what we do
Infact when you become Onyx the AMs Welcome Pkg contains an extra Onyx Card to share
So AMs actually encourages family members to pool miles into one account

As spouses it definitely works for us...
We find we accumulate faster on day to day earns (ie 2 Cars, 2 Cards... Miles every time either of us fill up at Shell)

As Dreamers bigger miles numbers means more, better vacations

Cash Milers, I think they do far better with individual cards...
especially on BIG BONUS Events
At the end of MMs they’ll have 1000 BB BAMs in multiple accounts
Where i’ll Only have it once
But when added to my already large pile of AMs it will go much further in the long run

AirMiles Cash is like a Chequing Account
AirMiles Dream Miles are like a Savings Account

Got to know your own Goals, to make them work for you
Jan 27, 2009
452 posts
101 upvotes
Alberta deals suck!
My plan
1) Fill up 25L at Shell 5 BAM
2) Shop at Sobey's for $50 and pay with BMO airmiles credit card 12 BAM
3) Shop at Safewawy for $50 and pay with BMO airmiles credit card 12 BAM
4) Shop at Sobey's Liquor for $150 and pay with BMO airmiles credit card 150 BAM
5) Spent total of $250 on BMO airmiles credit card 100 BAM

Total AM = 1000 + 279 = 1279

Not sure if it worths the effort, but I will try.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8270 posts
5721 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cho1104 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 1:28 am
Alberta deals suck!
My plan
4) Shop at Sobey's Liquor for $150 and pay with BMO airmiles credit card 150 BAM

Well you’ve spent $ 250 and earned back 1279 in Miles
With the Cash Mile Standard (95 Miles = $ 10)
You’ve made back AT LEAST a value of $ 134.63
More potentially if you are collecting Dream Miles vs Cash Miles
I say, not bad
Jan 27, 2009
452 posts
101 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 1:55 am
Well you’ve spent $ 250 and earned back 1279 in Miles
With the Cash Mile Standard (95 Miles = $ 10)
You’ve made back AT LEAST a value of $ 134.63
More potentially if you are collecting Dream Miles vs Cash Miles
I say, not bad
It isn't too bad considering I won't be wasting money on things that I don't need.
But seeing offers from other province, Alberta offers are much weaker and harder to collect.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8270 posts
5721 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cho1104 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 1:58 am
It isn't too bad considering I won't be wasting money on things that I don't need.
But seeing offers from other province, Alberta offers are much weaker and harder to collect.
True

Lol at least you have a Liquor Store AMs Partner... some Provinces don’t even have that
Oct 24, 2017
90 posts
50 upvotes
cho1104 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 1:28 am
Alberta deals suck!
My plan

Alberta is not too bad. Here's my plan:

1) National Offer - Sign up and complete 1 survey, time is 20 minutes. $0 OOP; 25 BAM (15 MM + 10 base)
2) AB Safeway - 5x miles on $50 spend. Use redeem 95 earn 95 promo for this weekend. $40 OOP; 105 BAM (95 promo + 10 base)
3) Next grocery run - AB Sobeys - 5x miles. $50 OOP; 10 BAM
4) National Offer - Shell - in store purchase. $10 OOP; 15 BAM (10 for text signup + 5 MM)
5) Miss Fresh - $65 for 3 meals (cheapest option). $65 OOP; 500 BAM

Total Miles earned = 1,000 MM + 655 BAM (total of above) = 1,655 BAM for spend of $165, so basically free, and no real change to my shopping asides from trying Miss Fresh out for 3 meals.

Backups if needed will be:
6) Hotel Room via AM Travel Hub - did a quick price check and prices are similar. Planning to travel anyway.
7) $150 spend at Sobeys Liquor for summer drinks. $150 OOP; 150 BAM

Not amazing, but not a huge effort to collect.
Aug 22, 2012
41 posts
17 upvotes
In NL and have already used Samsung pay and opinion rewards

Is this a legit way to do this? 

1. BMO $250 spend on Sobeys gift card 
2. Spend $150 at Sobeys with gift card 
3. 25L fillup at Shell with gift card 
4. Spend $20 at Needs with gift card
5. Spend $100+ at Amazon.ca through Airmilesshops

6. Liquor store Sommersby/lambs purchase, may replace Sobeys $150 spend as I normally spend $50 a grocery trip

Any issues with this or better suggestions? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3814 posts
1595 upvotes
In Ontario and this is my 3rd Megamiles event so you can say I’m quite familiar with it. My goal is always trying to rip the most rewards out of it by spending the least, since I have to do this for several others family members. Here are my 5
1. Rexall redeeming 190 AM
2. Shell
3. LCBO
4. Rona redeeming 95AM
5. Metro redeeming 95AM

May add HBC & Samsung again just to get some BAM if they give them out
May 9, 2018
65 posts
33 upvotes
Summerside, PE
PEI here. Pretty straightforward to get my 5 offers:

25L at Shell (completed this AM)
$150 at Sobeys (also done this AM)
Either $60 or 2 buckets of paint at Kent
$95 spend at Lawtons
$20 at Needs
If I fall short 1 offer, complete my first survey at Rewarding your opinions.

Side note - I have the no fee Amex Air Miles card (mostly just to take advantage of these promos). Any one have an idea why they don't have an offer, but BMO does? Amex was a part of Shop the block and Mega Miles last year I believe. Not a big deal right now, it's easy enough to get my 5 for this promo. But Shop the block is a different animal, and I needed the Amex offer last time to get my 2,000 miles.
If Amex is going to disappear from these offers, I'll have to switch over to a BMO card instead. Having a BMO card this time around would make this a piece of cake - I would have had my 3rd offer completed already with my Sobeys and Shell spend this AM.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1260 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi everyone. I am in Ontario and this is only my second year collecting Air Miles (used to do mostly Aeroplan). Successfully completed all events in 2018 and was able to achieve Onyx Status.

This year, I will be using 2 accounts, one each for my wife and I.

We already got one of the AMEX (2000 BAM) and BMO (3000 BAM) each earlier this year and the plan is to cancel them before the year is up and each sign up for the other one (hopefully with the same bonus) on an annual basis.

In the meantime, we will be using the BMO for everyday use as it has a higher AM rate.

Same as last year's events, I will be doing more than the required partners to be on the safe side.

So far I have completed:

1) Sobeys Urban Fresh: $75 Sobeys gift card - both accounts
2) Shell - both accounts
3.1) Sobeys: $150 Sobeys gift card - account No. 1
3.2) Foodland: spend $60+ (using above gift card) - account No. 2
4.1) BMO spend $250 get 100 BAM - account no. 1
5) Rexall Redeem 190 AM get 40 BAM - both accounts

To do:

6) Rona redeem 95AM get 15 BAM
7) Metro redeem 95AM get 25 BAM
8) HBC: longshot as I have done it before
9.1) Foodland on the 2nd account
9.2) Sobeys gift card on the 1st account

I will also be doing the maximum 4 times on each Shell offer on both accounts as I get gas at least once a week.

Happy collecting !
Last edited by impailer17 on Mar 28th, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8270 posts
5721 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jonmac547 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 1:06 pm
PEI here. Pretty straightforward to get my 5 offers:

25L at Shell (completed this AM)
$150 at Sobeys (also done this AM)
Either $60 or 2 buckets of paint at Kent
$95 spend at Lawtons
$20 at Needs
If I fall short 1 offer, complete my first survey at Rewarding your opinions.

Side note - I have the no fee Amex Air Miles card (mostly just to take advantage of these promos). Any one have an idea why they don't have an offer, but BMO does? Amex was a part of Shop the block and Mega Miles last year I believe. Not a big deal right now, it's easy enough to get my 5 for this promo. But Shop the block is a different animal, and I needed the Amex offer last time to get my 2,000 miles.
If Amex is going to disappear from these offers, I'll have to switch over to a BMO card instead. Having a BMO card this time around would make this a piece of cake - I would have had my 3rd offer completed already with my Sobeys and Shell spend this AM.
To be honest, AMEX is a SOMETIMES YES / SOMETIMES NO Partner in these BIG BONUS Events
So no real surprise IMO
Just a pleasant plus when they do participate
I did a bit of research as a result of your post ... curiosity got the best of me

The MegaMiles Events started back in the Fall 2015 ... as a sort of expirement
It didn’t reappear until Spring 2017
Shop The Block started up in 2016... as a NEW event, but modelled on the Fall 2015 MMs format
So since December 2016, the schedule we all are familiar with has been maintained
STB late Fall in time for “Shopping Season”
And MegaMiles in the Spring ... although the timing / months have varied anywhere from March thru June
And this year, The Pack To School BIG BONUS Event & Contest started up as a Late Summer / Early Fall Event

AMEX has only participated in 3 Events since these Events have become the norm:
STB 2017 - MMs 2018 - and STB 2018
Whereas BMO has been there for everyone except P2S 2018
Oct 3, 2018
774 posts
732 upvotes
GTA
Wow, love the streamlining with individual threads for Offers ... no more reading multiple pages in one thread, for hours! Lol

Thanks @TomRFD and @PointsHubby , realize it's still lots of work, and much appreciated :)

Am from GTA, in 2 player mode, 2nd AM event and 1st one (STB) not as hard as thought it would be ... Altho may have stopped at 3 vs going for 7 Offers x2, without everyone's help!

Plan on doing 3 Offers x2 (Shell, LCBO and Metro)... May change mind later, like last event and go for more :)

Cheers and have fun with your Treasure Hunt!
Jan 11, 2007
370 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
Ontario here. Here is my plan for 2 accounts in our household.

Account #1:
1. BMO spend $250 at partners listed below
2. Sobeys buy $150 GC
3. Shell buy 25L gas (~$30) x 2
4. Rexall spend $40
5. Rewarding Your Opinions signup & survey

Account #2:
1. Foodland spend $60 (using the Sobeys GC from above)
2. Rexall spend $40
3. Shell spend $10
4. Hudson's Bay Rewards conversion to airmiles
5. Rewarding Your Opinions sign up and survey