Health & Wellness

Melting existing body bar soaps then adding extra ingredient?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 7:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7078 posts
2151 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Melting existing body bar soaps then adding extra ingredient?

I was thinking of making my own bar soaps but seeing how expensive the ingredients are, can I just buy existing bar soaps like Olay then melt it and add some Salicylic acid powder in?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6397 posts
5761 upvotes
You can make your own soaps with most oils (olive and coconut are best) and lye, which is pretty cheap. You can add scents as you wish with essential oils. There are lots of recipes online. You need to be careful handling lye as it's caustic but if you follow all the precautions it is not a problem.

Your idea of melting existing soaps makes no sense to me....what purpose would that serve since you already have soap?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7078 posts
2151 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hierophant wrote: You can make your own soaps with most oils (olive and coconut are best) and lye, which is pretty cheap. You can add scents as you wish with essential oils. There are lots of recipes online. You need to be careful handling lye as it's caustic but if you follow all the precautions it is not a problem.

Your idea of melting existing soaps makes no sense to me....what purpose would that serve since you already have soap?
I want to add salicylic acid to them. I did a bit of googling and they recommend buying melt and pour base soap and they are sorta pricey. Buying existing soaps with salicylic acid already in them are also quite pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I think most soaps these days aren't the traditional fat 'n lye stuff so they may not remelt. Supposedly Ivory is one of the few (or only) real mass-market soaps.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)