[Princess Auto] Member's Mark 957 sq inch Pellet Grill $350

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 9:34 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3669 posts
625 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Swapped out the RTD for the smoke Daddy one. Under 10 minutes with only removing the bottom hopper tray. Hopefully stabilize temps even more.

Forgot to mention because it doesn't show from the picture but it reaches the top rack. The original RTD is freakishly short.
Images
  • PXL_20201104_154353367.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5522 posts
1894 upvotes
This is great news! Thanks for the post, I'd be super interested in this at a really good price! I looked it up and here's the link...this is definitely going on the list of things to keep track of. Although...for the same price, I guess you could just get an external unit that does the same thing, and then you could use it on other bbq's too.....food for thought...

https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Bos ... -trapezoid
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3309 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
As an owner of the members mark pellet grill what are the major negatives have you encountered during your cooks? Am thinking of removing the spider-web grid from the hopper, gets in the way when you want to fill the divet left by the auger. Anybody use their top shelf grill? Thought we lost it ours.
Nov 23, 2006
292 posts
142 upvotes
Ontario
zalapski wrote: As an owner of the members mark pellet grill what are the major negatives have you encountered during your cooks? Am thinking of removing the spider-web grid from the hopper, gets in the way when you want to fill the divet left by the auger. Anybody use their top shelf grill? Thought we lost it ours.
I haven't been able to use mine as much as I had hoped so far (mainly because we're in the transition of a move and it being stored at my mothers), but my biggest gripes are: not as much smokey flavour as I would have expected (although I heard this is universal with pellet grills) and not a great sealing lid (mine has about 1.5-2cm gap on the left and that tappers off as you go across the lid). The screen in the hopper is definitely annoying, but with a VERY curious 3 year old, I'm leaving mine in for the long haul and just using a stick/back of tongs to push pellets around. Maybe I'll buy a thick dowel and put a cord on it to hang it with the rest of the items on the grill.
May 3, 2007
722 posts
220 upvotes
I agree with xmanofsteel69s comments, but overall I am extremely happy with this smoker.
I've used it a lot, doing several pork shoulders and briskets and each time they have turned out terrific.
The smoke leakage can seem considerable, but seems to vary from person to person. I didn't have that much, but bought this heat gasket to try and keep as much inside as possible. It worked for a couple cooks, but then the fabric started to separate from the adhesive still attached to the smoker, so I don't think I can recommend it.
I guess my biggest gripe is the wild temperature fluctuations. I bought the Inkbird IBBQ-4T to monitor and graph the temps and it is consistently 30 to sometimes 70 degrees over the target temperature.
But like I said, everything I've cooked so far has been delicious.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
958 posts
880 upvotes
I've been very happy with mine. I try to keep in mind the tremendous value that this smoker is and any small issues aren't such a big deal. I was going to buy the PB Austin XL from Walmart as that was a good value at $700 when I came across the thread talking about this PA smoker. There is nothing that compares (maybe Walmart PB Clearance prices compare) at this price. Traegers and Broil King smokers looked appealing but those are > $1000. So for $350 I'm more than will to forgive some issues.

If it was perfect, I'd like the temp swings to be much less and the temps more configurable. But even PB smokers use a similar controller and have similar temp swing issues. Mine came with all the parts and no dents/dings. It's much larger than I need and even with the temp swings it produces tasty BBQ.

I may replace the controller at some point to have WIFI functionality and have a PID. I've got an Inkbird IBT-4XS so I can at least remotely monitor the temps and so far so good!
May 3, 2007
722 posts
220 upvotes
An update to my comments above.
I noticed on my last 2 cooks (the latest being yesterday) that the shut down process has failed.
Once finished the cook, I turn the knob to "Off" and the LED screen goes blank. As designed, it continues to run the fan to burn off the remaining pellets in the hopper.
What I've noticed on the last 2 occasions is that I will come back after 5 minutes, instead of being shut down, the screen is lit back up and the unit is still augering pellets and smoking as if in the "Smoke" position.
Yesterday I gave the unit a thorough cleaning and vacuuming of the smoker body, thinking that may have caused the issue on the previous cook, but it did it a second time.
On the cook before yesterday, I held the knob in the "Off" position for the 5 minutes until it shut down. Yesterday, I more forcefully turned it into the "Off" position, but I don't want to over turn and damage the knob controller.
I think I may need to get up under the hopper and give the control panel and wiring a good blast with my compressor.
Even with this, my ribs turned out excellent!
Jan 17, 2010
770 posts
282 upvotes
Anyone have a suggestion for a bbq blanket for cold weather smoking during winter?
Jan 27, 2013
76 posts
32 upvotes
xmanofsteel69 wrote: I haven't been able to use mine as much as I had hoped so far (mainly because we're in the transition of a move and it being stored at my mothers), but my biggest gripes are: not as much smokey flavour as I would have expected (although I heard this is universal with pellet grills) and not a great sealing lid (mine has about 1.5-2cm gap on the left and that tappers off as you go across the lid). The screen in the hopper is definitely annoying, but with a VERY curious 3 year old, I'm leaving mine in for the long haul and just using a stick/back of tongs to push pellets around. Maybe I'll buy a thick dowel and put a cord on it to hang it with the rest of the items on the grill.
This is coming from a sample size of 1, so take it with a grain of salt, but my very first smoke I used the Canadian Tire Canawick pellets on a pork shoulder, and it turned out really smokey flavour, exactly as I would have expected it. After that I used Traeger competition pellets from Costco, never got that much smokey flavour. I did notice the Canawick pellets seemed to be used up much faster.
May 5, 2016
153 posts
67 upvotes
Yeah, I've been running the Canuck tire Canawick pellets as well. Agree, It looks like it's eating through the pellets faster. I've been supplementing with additional smoke tubes to add more flavour.

Low and slow cooks are pretty darned good on the members mark. Pretty comparable to my charcoal kamado. But the quick cooks are generally not as smokey flavourful.