Expired Hot Deals

[Memory Express] 660p Series M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, 1TB - $144.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2019 8:37 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 9, 2015
197 posts
110 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Memory Express] 660p Series M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, 1TB - $144.99

Pretty good price on this 1TB.

1TB 660p Series PCI-E x4 NVMe M.2 SSD
64-layer 3D NAND QLC (Quad Level Cell) Flash Memory
Industry Standard 2280 Form Factor fits most M.2 Slots
Sequential Transfer Rates: Reads: Up to 1,800MB/sec | Writes: Up to 1,800MB/sec
Random IOPS (8GB Span): Reads: Up to 150,000 IOPS | Writes: Up to 220,000 IOPS
Operating Temperatures: 0 ~ 70°C
High Reliability: MTBF rated at >1,600,000 Hours
5 Year Intel Limited Warranty
15 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2031 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
Wish the 2xx GB ones are 1/4 of the price as well.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Member
Oct 18, 2016
362 posts
202 upvotes
With PCI Express 4.0 and 5.0 on the horizon (w/in the next 12-18 months), I'm waiting for SATA drives to die out completely and for NVMe to come down in price. I'm expecting, and waiting for, $100/TB.
Sr. Member
Oct 28, 2012
736 posts
97 upvotes
EDMONTON
QLC, is that good or bad.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
3285 posts
734 upvotes
Gitaroo wrote: QLC, is that good or bad.
QLC is bad when compared to TLC, essentially slower than regular HDDs. However you'll only see the performance drop when your close to maxing the available space and filling up the cache. Recently bought the Crucial P1 (also QLC) and its super fast, I use it for OS and games with no problems.

Crucial has a performance option in there software that will reserve some space so that you never see the performance drop, have not really tested it though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
1241 posts
240 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: QLC is bad when compared to TLC, essentially slower than regular HDDs. However you'll only see the performance drop when your close to maxing the available space and filling up the cache. Recently bought the Crucial P1 (also QLC) and its super fast, I use it for OS and games with no problems.

Crucial has a performance option in there software that will reserve some space so that you never see the performance drop, have not really tested it though.
Slower than regular HDDs? How can you come to that conclusion? Random IO is planets better than regular HDD.

The whole QLC debate is blown out of proportion. QLC drives like these are perfectly reasonable for cheap flash drives, and it's much better than HDDs overall. Also most consumer will never hit the endurence life.
Member
Jan 4, 2019
265 posts
233 upvotes
Been using the crucial QLC for awhile now.

The naysayers are just that. The drive rocks. Awesome price for this Intel also

Blazing faster than my SSD and way faster than my HDD. Can't tell the speeds when full, but I did a lot of heavy transferring when I installed it no issues.

It's in a workstation that gets used 24/7. No complaints. All good things.

Basically. QLC is fine for 99% of people.
Jr. Member
May 26, 2018
113 posts
66 upvotes
You can get a corsair MP510 with 960gb for $200 instead at newegg though they are sold out atm. It is TLC so it's much faster ontop of having ridiculous 1700TBW compare to 200TBW for intel. I'm not sure about heat consumption though maybe qlc will run cooler since it's slower? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2013
1657 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
This should be the nowwa days price for this item. Wait till sunmer the price will still drop
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Jr. Member
Jan 25, 2013
126 posts
71 upvotes
Thornhill
Gitaroo wrote: QLC, is that good or bad.
I bought this drive a couple of months ago for a gaming machine. Works great, fast, no issues. Worth the price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
3285 posts
734 upvotes
BiGD33nS wrote: Slower than regular HDDs? How can you come to that conclusion? Random IO is planets better than regular HDD.

The whole QLC debate is blown out of proportion. QLC drives like these are perfectly reasonable for cheap flash drives, and it's much better than HDDs overall. Also most consumer will never hit the endurence life.
Well that's what I've read, that the QLC flash will get slower than HDDs as the cache fills up. I'll see if i can find the source.

At the same time I been using the 1TB P1 for about 2 weeks and its amazingly fast, PC boots so fast, transfers are good from my server. I really have no complaints with QLC SSDs as my boot drive.

I do have to test how how my VMs perform on this SSD, still suspect it will be better than HDDs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
1241 posts
240 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Well that's what I've read, that the QLC flash will get slower than HDDs as the cache fills up. I'll see if i can find the source.

At the same time I been using the 1TB P1 for about 2 weeks and its amazingly fast, PC boots so fast, transfers are good from my server. I really have no complaints with QLC SSDs as my boot drive.

I do have to test how how my VMs perform on this SSD, still suspect it will be better than HDDs.
Oh, a fellow homelaber I see. Well in this case yeah I understand that when it's cache is filled up, mostly when doing intense sequential Xfers, it can get slow.

However for the price, and used in a consumer PC with mainstream usage, its a good fit and price.

On the other end, I don't think it's a good fit for VMs, I wouldn't put heavy load on this like lots of my VMs. I still think it's better than most HDDs, even 15k drives in striped RAID.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15519 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
This drive is also a good choice for use in a MacBook Pros and Airs from 2013 to 2015 with a m.2 adapter.

Top