High Reliability: MTBF rated at >1,600,000 Hours
5 Year Intel Limited Warranty
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1729 posts
704 upvotes
GTA
Wish the 2xx GB ones are 1/4 of the price as well.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Oct 18, 2016
175 posts
79 upvotes
With PCI Express 4.0 and 5.0 on the horizon (w/in the next 12-18 months), I'm waiting for SATA drives to die out completely and for NVMe to come down in price. I'm expecting, and waiting for, $100/TB.
Oct 28, 2012
680 posts
93 upvotes
EDMONTON
QLC, is that good or bad.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2976 posts
514 upvotes
Gitaroo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:53 pm
QLC is bad when compared to TLC, essentially slower than regular HDDs. However you'll only see the performance drop when your close to maxing the available space and filling up the cache. Recently bought the Crucial P1 (also QLC) and its super fast, I use it for OS and games with no problems.

Crucial has a performance option in there software that will reserve some space so that you never see the performance drop, have not really tested it though.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1224 posts
234 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 9:19 pm
QLC is bad when compared to TLC, essentially slower than regular HDDs. However you'll only see the performance drop when your close to maxing the available space and filling up the cache. Recently bought the Crucial P1 (also QLC) and its super fast, I use it for OS and games with no problems.

Crucial has a performance option in there software that will reserve some space so that you never see the performance drop, have not really tested it though.
Slower than regular HDDs? How can you come to that conclusion? Random IO is planets better than regular HDD.

The whole QLC debate is blown out of proportion. QLC drives like these are perfectly reasonable for cheap flash drives, and it's much better than HDDs overall. Also most consumer will never hit the endurence life.
Jan 4, 2019
76 posts
63 upvotes
Been using the crucial QLC for awhile now.

The naysayers are just that. The drive rocks. Awesome price for this Intel also

Blazing faster than my SSD and way faster than my HDD. Can't tell the speeds when full, but I did a lot of heavy transferring when I installed it no issues.

It's in a workstation that gets used 24/7. No complaints. All good things.

Basically. QLC is fine for 99% of people.
May 26, 2018
69 posts
32 upvotes
You can get a corsair MP510 with 960gb for $200 instead at newegg though they are sold out atm. It is TLC so it's much faster ontop of having ridiculous 1700TBW compare to 200TBW for intel. I'm not sure about heat consumption though maybe qlc will run cooler since it's slower? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1398 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal
This should be the nowwa days price for this item. Wait till sunmer the price will still drop
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Jan 25, 2013
121 posts
67 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gitaroo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:53 pm
I bought this drive a couple of months ago for a gaming machine. Works great, fast, no issues. Worth the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2976 posts
514 upvotes
BiGD33nS wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 7:12 am
Slower than regular HDDs? How can you come to that conclusion? Random IO is planets better than regular HDD.

The whole QLC debate is blown out of proportion. QLC drives like these are perfectly reasonable for cheap flash drives, and it's much better than HDDs overall. Also most consumer will never hit the endurence life.
Well that's what I've read, that the QLC flash will get slower than HDDs as the cache fills up. I'll see if i can find the source.

At the same time I been using the 1TB P1 for about 2 weeks and its amazingly fast, PC boots so fast, transfers are good from my server. I really have no complaints with QLC SSDs as my boot drive.

I do have to test how how my VMs perform on this SSD, still suspect it will be better than HDDs.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1224 posts
234 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 8:33 am
Well that's what I've read, that the QLC flash will get slower than HDDs as the cache fills up. I'll see if i can find the source.

At the same time I been using the 1TB P1 for about 2 weeks and its amazingly fast, PC boots so fast, transfers are good from my server. I really have no complaints with QLC SSDs as my boot drive.

I do have to test how how my VMs perform on this SSD, still suspect it will be better than HDDs.
Oh, a fellow homelaber I see. Well in this case yeah I understand that when it's cache is filled up, mostly when doing intense sequential Xfers, it can get slow.

However for the price, and used in a consumer PC with mainstream usage, its a good fit and price.

On the other end, I don't think it's a good fit for VMs, I wouldn't put heavy load on this like lots of my VMs. I still think it's better than most HDDs, even 15k drives in striped RAID.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
This drive is also a good choice for use in a MacBook Pros and Airs from 2013 to 2015 with a m.2 adapter.