Expired Hot Deals

Memory Express

Edgerouter-X - $60 - $9 shipping or free instore pickup - best budget enterprise router.

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 10:19 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2008
770 posts
500 upvotes

[Memory Express] Edgerouter-X - $60 - $9 shipping or free instore pickup - best budget enterprise router.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66102

If you're still using consumer routers, it's time to upgrade.

Pair this with a Unifi AC lite and you've got yourself a reliable budget enterprise setup. UAP-AC-LITE: you can price beat with Amazon, Newegg, etc. $115-$120. Total around $180.
With the latest updates on the Edgerouter, there's built-in wizards to quickly configure everything with a few clicks. Also, security updates are released frequently.

The Unifi can be configured with a smartphone app or with a computer.

Fetchcart is better if you need it shipped: https://www.fetchcart.ca/products/ubiqu ... -port.html (Thank Gonad)
UAP-AC-Lite: https://www.fetchcart.ca/products/ubiqu ... pping.html

FAQ
Why would I want this?
Reliability; routers aren't supposed to require a reboot every week, start slowing down for no reason, or have random hiccups.
Security updates; timely patches for new vulnerabilities.
Highly configurable; can do things like load-balancing / failover with 2 internet connections, convert to a switch with PoE input and output, remote VPN gateway, much more. Great for learning networking too.
Cheap; You will not find anything else with as many features and updates all packaged together in a nice small device for $60.

Gigabit? It's 2018. Yes.

Average consumer - easy to set up? No, but the manual and guides are very informative with visual examples.

How do I do (insert question)? Ubiquiti has guides for just about everything. You can start at the beginner guide here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... EdgeRouter

What's QOS / Packet Sniffing / VLAN / etc.? For your average home user, you'll never touch these. If you have a need for them, you'll learn the limitations and what they do. You can find everything in the guides: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... Offloading

Recommended steps for initial set up:
1. Download latest firmware (1.10.8 as of now) https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax/edgerouter-x
2. Follow included instructions on how to connect to router (need to manually set your computer IP)
3. Login (ignore pop-up to setup wizard for now) -> System (bottom left) -> Update firmware (scroll down)
4. Update firmware. (optional: do factory reset after if you messed with any settings)
5. Go to the Wizards tab (if the pop-up doesn't show up).
6. Most common setup is Basic Setup (WAN+1LAN). Refer to the beginner's guide for what each option does.
Last edited by syuzh on Dec 11th, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
70 replies
Jr. Member
Mar 5, 2011
173 posts
143 upvotes
Great price for an excellent product. It's been rock-solid for me. It's awesome for condos with an central panel in a closet for networking. I use it to route internet to all available Ethernet ports in the condo because of its tiny size and ability to fit in said box. There's no way a telecom modem and router combo would fit in there, so this is the next best thing (in addition to being a way better routing product as well).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3147 upvotes
Markham
Gonad wrote: Cold - You can get a better deal from FetchCart

$67.85 + Free Shipping -- https://www.fetchcart.ca/products/ubiqu ... -port.html

My setup for those who want to use something like this for their Bell HH - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/please- ... #p29947836
Nice write up. Do you think there is a chance these units go lower for boxing day/week? Will this unit increase security from WAN side? I’m using the Rogers Puma for routing and it’s OK, no open ports compared to previously HH3000 that seemed to always have one or two open ports. I’m using my own wireless AP. Any advantage going with this?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
I really enjoy my EdgeRouterX. I hate to be the guy, but it's not for the novice. Even the wizard can be confusing as it has terrible explanation on what you're selecting.

That said, if you're curious about networks you'll have some motivation to put in a bit of effort to understand what is going on, and you'll get to enjoy a pretty secure network due to Ubiquiti's support (firmware updates) for their products.

The downside of this model is the reduced bandwidth if you want to run OpenVPN.
Newbie
Jul 5, 2011
56 posts
17 upvotes
I'm not very knowledgeable in the router world. Right now I have a unreliable D-Link router that keeps needing regular reboot or randomly disconnects/reconnects. This is then routed to an Unifi AP Pro that broadcasts the signal in the house. I also have a Lutron rc bridge connected to this setup.

Would this product be a suitable replacement for my D-Link router and reduce the need for network rebooting? Also this supports up to what speed?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote: ...Will this unit increase security from WAN side? I’m using the Rogers Puma for routing and it’s OK, no open ports compared to previously HH3000 that seemed to always have one or two open ports. I’m using my own wireless AP. Any advantage going with this?
The router allows you to get into the nitty gritty of what it's doing. So I would say yes, in would increase security from the WAN side. I've run port scanning on my EdgeRouterX, and it's stealth to the internet as I have disabled ping responses. Ports only open as required when something want to access the internet from within my network.

Each port acts as it's own isolated network, or you can connect then like a switch. The issue with consumer routers/APs, are all ports are connected as a switch which significantly decreases security.

Note that this is not an AP, but you can connect your AP to the EdgerouterX.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4959 posts
2380 upvotes
GTA
ck1223 wrote: I really enjoy my EdgeRouterX. I hate to be the guy, but it's not for the novice. Even the wizard can be confusing as it has terrible explanation on what you're selecting.

That said, if you're curious about networks you'll have some motivation to put in a bit of effort to understand what is going on, and you'll get to enjoy a pretty secure network due to Ubiquiti's support (firmware updates) for their products.

The downside of this model is the reduced bandwidth if you want to run OpenVPN.
Pretty typical of OpenVPN on most platforms though. I would look into WireGuard. There is a build for EdgeOS out on GitHub.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
jean-philippe wrote: Would this product be a suitable replacement for my D-Link router and reduce the need for network rebooting? Also this supports up to what speed?

Thanks
It would be a suitable replacement, but note that this does not provide any wireless connection. It is rock solid, I never have to reboot mine unless my ISP goes down. The ports are all gigabit speed, but you'll have to enable hardware offload for that, otherwise you'll get 200-250Mbit/sec.

Also, if you enable hardware offload, you can't do packet sniffing or QOS. It's just a limitation of the product. However, most users wouldn't use packet sniffing.
Last edited by ck1223 on Dec 11th, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: Pretty typical of OpenVPN on most platforms though. I would look into WireGuard. There is a build for EdgeOS out on GitHub.
You make a good point. I believe the EdgerouterX takes more of hit though compared to other options.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4959 posts
2380 upvotes
GTA
jean-philippe wrote: I'm not very knowledgeable in the router world. Right now I have a unreliable D-Link router that keeps needing regular reboot or randomly disconnects/reconnects. This is then routed to an Unifi AP Pro that broadcasts the signal in the house. I also have a Lutron rc bridge connected to this setup.

Would this product be a suitable replacement for my D-Link router and reduce the need for network rebooting? Also this supports up to what speed?

Thanks
The ER-X is a very reliable router. I never reboot mine unless I've been tinkering or upgrading firmware. But like ck1223 said, it's not the easiest to configure if you're not at least a little familiar with networking. The wizard will take care of basic use cases.

I'd say this isn't the right unit for someone with gigabit internet though. You'd want something beefier.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3147 upvotes
Markham
ck1223 wrote: The router allows you to get into the nitty gritty of what it's doing. So I would say yes, in would increase security from the WAN side. I've run port scanning on my EdgeRouterX, and it's stealth to the internet as I have disabled ping responses. Ports only open as required when something want to access the internet from within my network.

Each port acts as it's own isolated network, or you can connect then like a switch. The issue with consumer routers/APs, are all ports are connected as a switch which significantly decreases security.

Note that this is not an AP, but you can connect your AP to the EdgerouterX.
Rogers Puma boxes seem OK as far as port security goes. I have a Fingbox that runs a port scan daily and so far is OK, unlike with the Bell HH3000 which would leave ports open.

The isolated port, you mean VLAN right? That would be interesting although the only thing in my setup that I think I could use VLAN for would be my NVR system which is already basically acting as a physical seperate LAN seperating the PoE cameras from the rest of network and WAN, although remote access does expose the NVR itself to WAN.

I think my main concern right now is Rogers can have backdoor access to my network through their remote log in, this has always bothered ne, so I think this router could mitigate that.

Any idea if should wait till boxing day?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19891 posts
7554 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
There is nothing enterprise about Edgerouter X.
X24Secret wrote: I think my main concern right now is Rogers can have backdoor access to my network through their remote log in, this has always bothered ne, so I think this router could mitigate that.
Switch to Bell FTTH. Take the fiber SFP module out of their gateway and put it into a cheap SFP to GbE media converter and set your routing hardware to do the PPPoE login etc. It's totally possible with bell to run your network with zero ISP hardware involved. Oh, and then also enjoy upstream speed that is incomparably better to boot.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3147 upvotes
Markham
BinaryJay wrote: There is nothing enterprise about Edgerouter X.



Switch to Bell FTTH. Take the fiber SFP module out of their gateway and put it into a cheap SFP to GbE media converter and set your routing hardware to do the PPPoE login etc. It's totally possible with bell to run your network with zero ISP hardware involved. Oh, and then also enjoy upstream speed that is incomparably better to boot.
I had FTTH and speed was phenomenal! My Rogers line is copper so speeds are only 75-80% of advertised with 30 Mbit/s upload. It does the job but I do miss Bell’s speed. I don’t miss Bell’s prices though. If you run the fiber cable straight, you will lose the TV and Phone portions though right?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote: Rogers Puma boxes seem OK as far as port security goes. I have a Fingbox that runs a port scan daily and so far is OK, unlike with the Bell HH3000 which would leave ports open.

The isolated port, you mean VLAN right? That would be interesting although the only thing in my setup that I think I could use VLAN for would be my NVR system which is already basically acting as a physical seperate LAN seperating the PoE cameras from the rest of network and WAN, although remote access does expose the NVR itself to WAN.

I think my main concern right now is Rogers can have backdoor access to my network through their remote log in, this has always bothered ne, so I think this router could mitigate that.

Any idea if should wait till boxing day?
Sorry, I was using "port" too freely. I meant to say isolated ethernet port acts as it's own isolated network. It's basically a VLAN as far as I know but it's pretty transparent when you do it. It actually doesn't say VLAN according to my memory (though there are VLAN options in the router interface).

I keep my secure network on one port, and IoT on another ethernet port.

You would have to setup your Rogers box to bridge mode (disabling it as a router and only using it as a modem). The Edgerouter X will do all the NAT routing. This will stop rogers from having any backdoors. Basically like this setup here.

Image
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1662 posts
2075 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Great deal! Thanks OP! I've been eyeing this and $59 is the cheapest I have seen them go.

I'm planning to pair it with an AP-AC-LR and setup an isolated network to keep all my IOT devices on like on this guide:
https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12541 posts
3784 upvotes
This!

this router is good but it's not for everyone.

Most people will be happy to just power cycle their modem/router then wasting time configurating this.

ck1223 wrote: I really enjoy my EdgeRouterX. I hate to be the guy, but it's not for the novice. Even the wizard can be confusing as it has terrible explanation on what you're selecting.

That said, if you're curious about networks you'll have some motivation to put in a bit of effort to understand what is going on, and you'll get to enjoy a pretty secure network due to Ubiquiti's support (firmware updates) for their products.

The downside of this model is the reduced bandwidth if you want to run OpenVPN.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1102 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote: Any idea if should wait till boxing day?
Forgot about this question. I don't have a crystal ball, but $60 is about the lowest I've seen it. I bought mine a couple of months ago for $60ish. According to Camelx3, the lowest was $53 about 3 weeks ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3147 upvotes
Markham
goozy1 wrote: Great deal! Thanks OP! I've been eyeing this and $59 is the cheapest I have seen them go.

I'm planning to pair it with an AP-AC-LR and setup an isolated network to keep all my IOT devices on like on this guide:
https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti
If you isolate the IoT, basically putting them on a different Subnet than main network, what would be the consequences to access to them? Say putting a SmartThings hub which has local execution, if you VLAN it off, would it mean even when on home network any command would have to go through cloud?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1662 posts
2075 upvotes
VANCOUVER
X24Secret wrote: If you isolate the IoT, basically putting them on a different Subnet than main network, what would be the consequences to access to them? Say putting a SmartThings hub which has local execution, if you VLAN it off, would it mean even when on home network any command would have to go through cloud?
I don't know the consequences for every use case but I use an Amazon Alexa as the hub to control my IOT devices and that works regardless of what network your devices are on (as long as they are all connected to the internet). I know my Phillips Hue has a mode for local network vs remote network so one consequence will be that the Hue app will need to communicate via the remote interface... or you can always temporarily connect to the IOT network to use your devices but t hat's probably a bad idea. Maybe a better idea would be to have an old phone/tablet as a controller that lives on the insecure IOT network.

Top