Hot Deals

[Memory Express] EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SuperClocked 6GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Triple DP - $249.99

[OP]
Dec 2, 2004
266 posts
49 upvotes

[Memory Express] EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SuperClocked 6GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Triple DP - $249.99

I guess Video cards are coming down in price - probably due to bitcoin miners and excess supply?

Memory Express has the EVGA GTX 1060 SuperClocked 6GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Triple DP - $249.99

sale ends 2019-06-29 - here's a link to the deal:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63115
23 replies
Feb 7, 2017
61 posts
15 upvotes
I bought a lesser 3gb 1060 for $150 on kijiji recently. Its about 80% of the performance of a 1070 based on passmark.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1444 posts
401 upvotes
Aren't they coming down in price because of the new AMD GPUs that are coming out and Nvidia's refreshed lineup that is being launched in response to AMD's new GPUs?

I would hold off on buying a new GPU unless you find a really, really good deal.
Nov 22, 2004
322 posts
79 upvotes
I haven't followed graphics cards closely, so maybe I'm missing something here. The GTX 1660 are regularly priced at $300 on ME and $290 elsewhere, so it seems to me a $250 pricing for GTX 1060 6GB would be about right if you are trying to move this older stock. Good price but not great. Unless there is something special about this particular card or the FPS comparisons I've seen on the web are wrong? I'm honestly just asking, not criticizing the deal.
Feb 10, 2017
126 posts
123 upvotes
Calgary
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:22 pm
For $5, you joking bud?
No. RX 580 performs comparably with the GTX 1060 (see: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... x-580-7001) but has an extra 2 GB of VRAM and will age better as it usually wins on Vulkan and DX12 games, which most newer games are. The GTX 1060 usually wins in DX11 which is starting to be used less and less. Dual fan cards > single fan cards 99% of the time as well for less noise.

Save $5 and get better performance in general. Why not?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1477 posts
174 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:22 pm
For $5, you joking bud?
Yeah 5 dollars is not enough savings. I would rather support a Canadian company paying 5 dollars more than a US company that is already killing enough businesses.

As for the 5700xt and 5700, with a starting price of 519 CDN for the 5700 and 600 for the 5700xt,I would not expect much movement on price. In terms of where the cards are in the product stack, this card was meant to replace Polaris 10 which is the RX 480/580/590 lineup. The 256bit bus, die size and the 8gb of vram show this.

Both Nvidia and AMD are pricing pushing pricing upward.

The last card to effect the market positively was the 1660 and 1660 ti which have already been released and had it's effect on the market. This is the only card this generation which largely stayed the same price and absorbed the added cost from the more expensive memory and larger die and passed on the performance/savings onto the consumer.

Although AMD might seem like the good guy due to their viral marketing and youtubers, AMD use of viral marketing to get people to wait for their cards is disgusting and what has allow them to be able to charge as high pricing as Nvidia, 9 months to 18 months later.

E.g Card with RTX 2070 performance for $249 USD(329-339CAD) are coming(leaks coming from AMD but disguised as rumors).

Get guerrilla marketing to drum up hate about the competition, while absorbing the positive goodwill of the rumors(youtube videos, paid posters on forum who disappear after launches).

Release products at the same price but slightly worse performance than the competition much later and expect people to buy their products because the competition is so evil while they charge you the same price as the evil competition. Vega was even worse in this regard. I predicted this would happen(the rumors being fake) for navi in regards to pricing and as we know today, pricing is pretty close to double what the rumors stated. All these rumors always come from AMD side and it's always after a Nvidia product release.

Both companies need to fail at elevated pricing to come down. Supporting AMD when both companies are overcharging simply justifies higher higher pricing from both companies because it makes two luxury players in the videocard market. The only way prices stay in check is if there is a value player and a premium player in the market. AMD should be the value player not only because it is good for the market, they have shifted nearly all their R and D for engineering for GPU's to China and India so their costs are lower.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.

On Koodo. 8gb, unlimited talk, text, 1000ld minutes. $45.
Jan 13, 2019
2 posts
4 upvotes
The gtx1060 is poor value ($/frame per second) now that the RX580 8gbs have gone down in price and Nvidia realeased the GTX1660 TI.

If you're in the market for a cheap GPU that won't be obsolete in the next 2-3 years, go for the AMD RX580 or Vega 56.

If you must go Nvidia, spend the extra coin and go for the 1660 TI.

If you're patient, wait until July, August when And releases the 5700XT a ,( close to 2080 performance for 500 CAD) nd GPU prices should go even lower.

Not a good deal really.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2004
266 posts
49 upvotes
pchiggy wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 4:46 am
I bought a lesser 3gb 1060 for $150 on kijiji recently. Its about 80% of the performance of a 1070 based on passmark.
Yeah, there should be a lot of used graphics cards coming to market from people quitting the bitcoin mining ... so i expect the used miner's prices even lower that your price !!!

Bitcoin miner probably made the hardware investment money back, so he basically got his gear for free...
[OP]
Dec 2, 2004
266 posts
49 upvotes
DarkStarFTW wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:31 pm
No. RX 580 performs comparably with the GTX 1060 (see: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... x-580-7001) but has an extra 2 GB of VRAM and will age better as it usually wins on Vulkan and DX12 games, which most newer games are. The GTX 1060 usually wins in DX11 which is starting to be used less and less. Dual fan cards > single fan cards 99% of the time as well for less noise.

Save $5 and get better performance in general. Why not?
The RX 580 uses 220 Watts of power while gaming... where as the GTX 1060 uses only 122 Watts ... that's about 100Watts of power more during heavy load...

I'd say that difference is like $30 per year more for electricity... so if I own the card for 3 years, I would have wasted $90 for same performance...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4185 posts
1456 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
frugal69 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:21 pm
Yeah, there should be a lot of used graphics cards coming to market from people quitting the bitcoin mining ... so i expect the used miner's prices even lower that your price !!!

Bitcoin miner probably made the hardware investment money back, so he basically got his gear for free...
People haven't mined bitcoin with graphics cards in years...
[OP]
Dec 2, 2004
266 posts
49 upvotes
feminazi wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:18 am
Aren't they coming down in price because of the new AMD GPUs that are coming out and Nvidia's refreshed lineup that is being launched in response to AMD's new GPUs?

I would hold off on buying a new GPU unless you find a really, really good deal.
Just curious, what would be a really, really good deal (price wise) for this graphics card - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB ... since the new line-up is not out yet?

My guess is that the new line-up will be even more $$$ as AMD/Nvidia will be gouging the consumer...
Jun 29, 2017
29 posts
16 upvotes
This is a great price compared to last year where it was hitting $430. I think 1060 is the minimum of what you need to properly use VR too.
I forgot AMD was a Canadian company, I'd support them if that's the case. All things being equal.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2004
266 posts
49 upvotes
Russell wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:28 pm
People haven't mined bitcoin with graphics cards in years...
Yes, but there are lots of used GTX 1060's cards on the market, the sellers just haven't lowered the prices to reflect the market conditions.

Just check amazon, retails for $400, lots of used going for $270 ... so when they decide it's time to reflect real world prices, they gotta drop...