Expired Hot Deals

Memory Express

GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12G $999 - All regions - NOW OOS

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 10:07 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
2134 posts
1380 upvotes
MrFatBob wrote: I was talking about firestrike Firestrike and timespy Timespy
Don't put any weight on benchmarks. Real world is way more important. Look at the reviews for the new Intel Arc gpu. It does really well in benchmarks but falls right on its face in real world gaming.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2036 posts
1437 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
MrFatBob wrote: I was talking about Firestrike and Timespy
Neither are real world actual games, a 3090Ti wipes the walls with a 6900XT in almost everything and if you add in RT it's even less of a contest.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
2275 posts
392 upvotes
nadrojcote wrote: It's literally the worst time in the last 10 years to build a mining rig.
how can that be true? cards are available for the lowest prices in years.
I dont mine but just making sense in my own head.
bitcoin value will go back up im sure, it always does.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
2134 posts
1380 upvotes
bellboy26 wrote: how can that be true? cards are available for the lowest prices in years.
I dont mine but just making sense in my own head.
bitcoin value will go back up im sure, it always does.
Because you don't mine bitcoin with gpu's and ETH is switching away from proof of work so there will only be obscure coins to mine soon.

https://ethereum.org/en/upgrades/merge/

The reason why gpu's are finally available is cause large mining operations no longer want them and are starting to sell the cards they already have.
Newbie
Aug 27, 2017
74 posts
57 upvotes
bellboy26 wrote: how can that be true? cards are available for the lowest prices in years.
I dont mine but just making sense in my own head.
bitcoin value will go back up im sure, it always does.
You answered your own question with the second paragraph.

Profitability is measured using today's prices not what could happen in the future. BTC is selling for ~1/3 of its max price while GPUs haven't seen the same >60% price drop.

Yes I know BTC isn't the best example as mostly ASIC not GPU mining, but it's the big dog and most other coins have had similar price drops.

Mining today, holding, and assuming prices go up is incredibly risky as you pay the electrical cost today with no guarantee you can hold the debt until prices go up. Not totally true if buying the next GPU up for a gaming PC to mine with rather than the gaming GPU you really wanted, but that's a much smaller scale than someone trying to get into mining at a larger scale with a dedicated, headless, mining rig.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2155 posts
832 upvotes
burlington, on
Richfields wrote: Nice to see prices continue to normalize/drop. Still plan to HODOR until the release of the 40 series, but if that goes sideways/gets delayed, I'll pick up a 12GB 3080 and ride that wave for a good 3-5 years. Still rocking a 1070ti so will be a massive bump regardless of what I go for
Lol I’m still holding my 1050ti!
Waiting for some clearance on desktop.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2155 posts
832 upvotes
burlington, on
cheapinMB wrote: You answered your own question with the second paragraph.

Profitability is measured using today's prices not what could happen in the future. BTC is selling for ~1/3 of its max price while GPUs haven't seen the same >60% price drop.

Yes I know BTC isn't the best example as mostly ASIC not GPU mining, but it's the big dog and most other coins have had similar price drops.

Mining today, holding, and assuming prices go up is incredibly risky as you pay the electrical cost today with no guarantee you can hold the debt until prices go up. Not totally true if buying the next GPU up for a gaming PC to mine with rather than the gaming GPU you really wanted, but that's a much smaller scale than someone trying to get into mining at a larger scale with a dedicated, headless, mining rig.
Can someone explain me what means mining with a powerful computer? Is the cost just based on hydro consume?
I mean my son leave the computer on all night with that stupid Roblox having some glitch for levels
Newbie
Aug 27, 2017
74 posts
57 upvotes
cayolargo wrote: Can someone explain me what means mining with a powerful computer? Is the cost just based on hydro consume?
I mean my son leave the computer on all night with that stupid Roblox having some glitch for levels
As I know it and in the context of this thread, mining is more of a catch all term for using a computer (either a general purpose/gaming PC or something specially designed) to do the calculations necessary to keep a cryptocurrency 'safe'. It's incredibly complicated and the various coins (different cryptocurrencies) do it differently, but due to the massive (and I mean MASSIVE) amounts of processor time to do this - total cryptocurrency mining consumes more power worldwide than some entire countries.

Cost for cryptocurrency mining is the initial purchase of the hardware, plus the ongoing power bill... I suppose also needs an internet connection though this is trivial compared to the other two costs.

Mining in more general sense is a term used in many different ways. There is physically going into a mine for diamonds, coal, copper, and can be open pit or underground. There are games that simulate mining where you can get virtual ore, gems, and other rewards.

I don't know what your son is playing in Roblox, he could be using a glitch (or a bot) to do this virtual mining for in game rewards. But anything like this in a game has nothing to do with cryptocurrency mining. He could also be using the term mining where others would say grinding - as in doing something over and over again for more gold, experience, levels, or items within a game.

Hope this helps, I've tried to keep it simple and hopefully understandable.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2155 posts
832 upvotes
burlington, on
cheapinMB wrote: As I know it and in the context of this thread, mining is more of a catch all term for using a computer (either a general purpose/gaming PC or something specially designed) to do the calculations necessary to keep a cryptocurrency 'safe'. It's incredibly complicated and the various coins (different cryptocurrencies) do it differently, but due to the massive (and I mean MASSIVE) amounts of processor time to do this - total cryptocurrency mining consumes more power worldwide than some entire countries.

Cost for cryptocurrency mining is the initial purchase of the hardware, plus the ongoing power bill... I suppose also needs an internet connection though this is trivial compared to the other two costs.

Mining in more general sense is a term used in many different ways. There is physically going into a mine for diamonds, coal, copper, and can be open pit or underground. There are games that simulate mining where you can get virtual ore, gems, and other rewards.

I don't know what your son is playing in Roblox, he could be using a glitch (or a bot) to do this virtual mining for in game rewards. But anything like this in a game has nothing to do with cryptocurrency mining. He could also be using the term mining where others would say grinding - as in doing something over and over again for more gold, experience, levels, or items within a game.

Hope this helps, I've tried to keep it simple and hopefully understandable.
Thanks make sense. He is only 10 years old and use this glitches just to level up his character while he is sleeping.
What I wonder, what is the difference in terms of hydro bill between someone who leaves computers mining during the night and someone who leave the computer on for a computer game. If it is same At that point, when I will have a powerful desktop I prefer leave computer for mining (of corse I would need learn more about the process)
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2612 posts
1035 upvotes
cayolargo wrote: Thanks make sense. He is only 10 years old and use this glitches just to level up his character while he is sleeping.
What I wonder, what is the difference in terms of hydro bill between someone who leaves computers mining during the night and someone who leave the computer on for a computer game. If it is same At that point, when I will have a powerful desktop I prefer leave computer for mining (of corse I would need learn more about the process)
Roblox is not likely maxing out your kids hardware if its a powerful computer, while mining is going to max out your GPU the whole time.

At the moment due to the crash in crypto prices mining is not as profitable as it has been.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2036 posts
1437 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
spiralspirit wrote: Roblox is not likely maxing out your kids hardware if its a powerful computer, while mining is going to max out your GPU the whole time.

At the moment due to the crash in crypto prices mining is not as profitable as it has been.
Properly tuned mining doesn't max out your GPU or it's fans at all and uses far less power as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
2134 posts
1380 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: Properly tuned mining doesn't max out your GPU or it's fans at all and uses far less power as well.
Yeah, I personally have bought used mining gpu's in the past and had no problems. I've also had mining rigs running for years with no issues. Mining at 60% power level is a lot easier on a gpu than gaming. I understand a lot of people will be shy to buy used mining hardware, but it's just because of ignorance. If you are aware of what power they were running at then you have nothing to worry about. The only issues you might see are the fan bearings dying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2036 posts
1437 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
nadrojcote wrote: Yeah, I personally have bought used mining gpu's in the past and had no problems. I've also had mining rigs running for years with no issues. Mining at 60% power level is a lot easier on a gpu than gaming. I understand a lot of people will be shy to buy used mining hardware, but it's just because of ignorance. If you are aware of what power they were running at then you have nothing to worry about. The only issues you might see are the fan bearings dying.
Most GPU's have 3 year warranty and I would say if you don't have issues in those first 3 years it's unlikely you will see issues in the next 2-3 after that, at least that's my experience.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36993 posts
5064 upvotes
Winnipeg
shabby wrote: Already seeing 3080's for 700 on kijiji.
I would buy it at 700.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)