• Jul 9th, 2020 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2012
1386 posts
3466 upvotes

[Memory Express] Intel Core™ i5-8400 Processor, 2.8GHz w/ 9MB Cache $199.99

Decent price for the i5 8400.

PM: https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/8613674 $257.06 for further discounts

Enjoy!
35 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
1918 posts
2459 upvotes
2.8GHz base 6core 6thread

for 199.99 and the motherboard doesnt support 10th Gen ?

NO thanks.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1078 upvotes
Saint John
Psyclist wrote: wait for a deal on the Ryzen 3600, best bang for your buck
Ryzen 3600 costs $300 right now and has no processor graphics. As good as Ryzen is, AMD has nothing competitive with Intel right now when it comes to CPUs that have an IGP. Many buyers want a computer and don't want the added complexity and cost of a graphics card.

And the fact is that for the vast majority of people, an i5 8400 will perform the same as an R5 3600. The turbo boost is 3.8 GHz for six cores, and without HT the chip consumes minimal power (meaning very little heat) and will be able to hit max turbo clocks all the time. The 2.8 GHz number applies only very thermally constrained situations.

OP, you got my upvote, as this is the best price I've ever seen on a six-core Intel CPU with integrated graphics. Solid deal. This is likely to be a clearout since shipments of this chip ceased in Q4 2019.

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon... Deal is dead unless you get lucky with a PM since ME is OOS everywhere.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2383 posts
1334 upvotes
The 3600 is $260 currently and drops lower regularly...6 core 12 threads AND is overclockable. If im building a desktop PC, im not running Integrated graphics, so not a consideration from my perspective. Complexity from a GPU? if your buying PC parts, youre building a PC...so the added "Complexity" of plugging in a GPU and installing drivers isnt too arduous of a task, seems youre reaching a little here... I stand by the recommendation that the 3600 is the best bang for your buck, modern day 2500k
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1078 upvotes
Saint John
Psyclist wrote: The 3600 is $260 currently and drops lower regularly...6 core 12 threads AND is overclockable. If im building a desktop PC, im not running Integrated graphics, so not a consideration from my perspective. Complexity from a GPU? if your buying PC parts, youre building a PC...so the added "Complexity" of plugging in a GPU and installing drivers isnt too arduous of a task, seems youre reaching a little here... I stand by the recommendation that the 3600 is the best bang for your buck, modern day 2500k
OK, what graphics card are you buying that has a modern feature set like that of Intel's UHD 6xx series (including native 4K support and HEVC decoding)? How much does that add to the cost of the build? By my reckoning, assuming you're buying new, you'd need something like a GTX 1650 (currently priced the same as the cheapest 1050/Ti I could find), which runs you an additional $210. Cheapest modern card on the AMD side is the 5500 XT, which starts at $250.

Lots of people want to build their own PC and don't need a graphics card (like me). The i5 8400 is a better bet IMO than the Zen+ 3200G/3400G (both 4-core). Please let me make it perfectly clear that I'm not saying the 8400 is a better pick for a *gaming computer* -- the appropriate competition in the same gen as the i5 8400 would be the i7 8700, or the current-gen 10600 (all of them are 6c/12t). And both of the Intel chips also have the nice addition of processor graphics, either as a backup, or for those building a computer for work or non-gaming purposes. They are both more expensive than the 3600, of course.

Of course all of this is set to change (soon, by the sounds of things) with the introduction of Zen 2 CPUs that have processor graphics... more than a year after the release of the (non-G) 3000-series. And then we'll see (non-G) 4000 series and people who want an IGP on AMD's latest and greatest will have to wait another full year for 5000G chips...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5933 posts
1046 upvotes
Calgary
birthdaymonkey wrote: OK, what graphics card are you buying that has a modern feature set like that of Intel's UHD 6xx series (including native 4K support and HEVC decoding)? How much does that add to the cost of the build? By my reckoning, assuming you're buying new, you'd need something like a GTX 1650 (currently priced the same as the cheapest 1050/Ti I could find), which runs you an additional $210. Cheapest modern card on the AMD side is the 5500 XT, which starts at $250.

Lots of people want to build their own PC and don't need a graphics card (like me). The i5 8400 is a better bet IMO than the Zen+ 3200G/3400G (both 4-core). Please let me make it perfectly clear that I'm not saying the 8400 is a better pick for a *gaming computer* -- the appropriate competition in the same gen as the i5 8400 would be the i7 8700, or the current-gen 10600 (all of them are 6c/12t). And both of the Intel chips also have the nice addition of processor graphics, either as a backup, or for those building a computer for work or non-gaming purposes. They are both more expensive than the 3600, of course.
If you are not gaming, you do not need 1650 or 5500. You only need a video card.
Comparing i5 8400 to 3200G/3400G, it is not as simple as i5 8400 is better. i5 8400 has more cpu performance but less igpu performance.
And really, 3200G or 3400G is not a good buy right now regardless of what you are comparing to.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1078 upvotes
Saint John
mucat wrote: If you are not gaming, you do not need 1650 or 5500. You only need a video card.
Comparing i5 8400 to 3200G/3400G, it is not as simple as i5 8400 is better. i5 8400 has more cpu performance but less igpu performance.
And really, 3200G or 3400G is not a good buy right now regardless of what you are comparing to.
I am certainly agreed on the latter point. On the former, however, I checked prices, and if you want a new video card with *modern* features such as native 4K support and H.265 decode, those are the only cards available! The ubiquity of decent iGPUs has made lower-end video cards almost non-existent. You can't buy a new RX 550 or 560, for instance, for less than $200 according to PCPP. If you *only* need 1080p you can buy a $140 GT 1030 to go with your $268 R5 3600 and get very good CPU performance along with GPU performance roughly equivalent to that of the 3200/3400G. Total cost would be roughly double OP's (now sold out) i5 8400 deal for slightly higher clocks and IPC, along with SMT, plus graphics that will let you play an acceptable round of an eSports title.

Or for $200, a builder who doesn't care about gaming could get this i5 8400 chip at and all-time low price. It was a very decent deal and not deserving of the downvotes by AMD fans who fail to consider this class of PC build altogether. As I said, the R5 3600 is a great chip to build a budget gaming rig around, but Ryzen has never been as good a value as this deal was for someone who doesn't have and doesn't want to buy a graphics card.

Of course, buyers willing to shop used could find a wider range of options. A $50 or $60 GTX 750 would work pretty well, as Maxwell is a reasonably modern GPU arch. But then we're talking a whole new layer of hassle -- noise, heat, power-draw, etc., and the fact that a decent card at a decent price can be hard to find. The new market goes from relics like the Radeon 5450 (and all its rebrands) to weird/old Nvidia stuff like the 8600 GT, GT 210; to the GT 1030; to the GTX 1650 -- with almost nothing in between.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
Not a fan of anything. I just think this is a very bad deal because CC is selling the i5-9400 for 195$ after the 30$ coupon
May 3, 2014
9 posts
12 upvotes
Victoria, BC
don't know why a bunch of hate on this deal. It's a decent cpu for people who don't need a gpu or looking for an upgrade on their existing platform. Everyone is blindly advising others to get AMD (I mean I get it I run ryzen as well) but a lot of people don't need gpu power and just need a cpu for the computing. Tell me an AMD product that does that and it's 200 bucks rn and that is actually in stock lol. 8400 with a cheap b365 board (~300CAD with this deal) is a far better/cheaper option for most people than anything AMD has rn. I've been using AMD since the k7 but honestly people these days after watching a few youtube videos just start to tell everyone that AMD is the way to go without thinking twice is dumb af. Most of them just play games anyway and don't even need all the threads to do anything else......
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5933 posts
1046 upvotes
Calgary
birthdaymonkey wrote: I am certainly agreed on the latter point. On the former, however, I checked prices, and if you want a new video card with *modern* features such as native 4K support and H.265 decode, those are the only cards available! The ubiquity of decent iGPUs has made lower-end video cards almost non-existent. You can't buy a new RX 550 or 560, for instance, for less than $200 according to PCPP. If you *only* need 1080p you can buy a $140 GT 1030 to go with your $268 R5 3600 and get very good CPU performance along with GPU performance roughly equivalent to that of the 3200/3400G. Total cost would be roughly double OP's (now sold out) i5 8400 deal for slightly higher clocks and IPC, along with SMT, plus graphics that will let you play an acceptable round of an eSports title.
I paid $140 for RX570 march this year. Like I said before, if you do not game, you don't need to pay $140. Stop exaggerating the price to prove your point.
Also, whatever video card you bought can carry over multiple generation of systems, so the cost spread out over time. Most people who have been building for a while will have spare video card(s) lying around.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
When ryzen just came out it was a better proposition because of the cores/thread count. But the 10th gen intel matched those numbers at almost the same price point.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2348 posts
5166 upvotes
Markham
Psyclist wrote: If im building a desktop PC, im not running Integrated graphics, so not a consideration from my perspective.
Sorry, didn’t know I was on Psyclist Deals and all the deals here should apply to your specific circumstances.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2348 posts
5166 upvotes
Markham
mucat wrote: I paid $140 for RX570 march this year. Like I said before, if you do not game, you don't need to pay $140. Stop exaggerating the price to prove your point.
Also, whatever video card you bought can carry over multiple generation of systems, so the cost spread out over time. Most people who have been building for a while will have spare video card(s) lying around.
Nice, that leaves the person with $60 for a CPU. Which Ryzen CPU can I get with that?

If I’m building a computer for my parents, it’s not going to have a discrete GPU because they won’t be gaming or doing anything intensive. This makes a lot more sense from a cost perspective.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14572 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote: Ryzen 3600 costs $300 right now and has no processor graphics. As good as Ryzen is, AMD has nothing competitive with Intel right now when it comes to CPUs that have an IGP. Many buyers want a computer and don't want the added complexity and cost of a graphics card.

OP, you got my upvote, as this is the best price I've ever seen on a six-core Intel CPU with integrated graphics. Solid deal. This is likely to be a clearout since shipments of this chip ceased in Q4 2019.
Same here, I upvoted but your sensible talk will only fall on the deaf ears and get drowned out by the smashing of the downvote button by the likes RFDers who are "all aboard" the "Ryzen is bestest evar" train, many of them before Ryzen was even good at all (meaning 1st gen and first half of 2nd gen when it was basically a "same performance, same price" stare down between scAMD and Intel).

Granted if I were buying/building a new system now then I'd probably buy Ryzen myself. Once scAMD slashed the prices and upped the ante with the 3rd gen, things have shifted quite a bit. But at $200, esp. if one doesn't need or want a dGPU this is a fine deal. Plus if one happens to have an i3 on an LGA1150 v2 board, this could be a good upgrade for them too. Personally I did that myself but a good while back when I got a new 8400 off kijiji for the same $200.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an 8400 and it's still a very competent processor. But TBH, I wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince the heard" which only has pitchforks for Intel and a fistful of dollars for AMD. Oh except when it comes to GPUs...'cause for some reason a lot of them insist on buying Nvidia cards at higher prices which is basically the opposite mentality, but whatevs, I can't get inside the minds of these ppl.
Jan 9, 2014
40 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
If you want to upgrade, I think you would do better by paying $100-$200 more (and a little patient) for R5-3600 + a GPU. You can get a motherboard that guaranteed to support next gen ryzen around the same price as I5-8400's motherboard.

For CPU, R5-3600 has better performance not just in gaming. For example, AES encoding is around 30% faster. And, for Excel, it will be around 10%-20% faster.

For GPU, you should wait for a deal. They are overpriced right now (at least for the ones comparable to iGPU). But, if you can't wait, just get RX550 ($170 on amazon), or WX2100 ($200 on ME).

It all come down to the price point and how much performance you want. This deal is bringing price/performance of I5-8400 closer to R5-3600 (+ GPU). It is an ok deal. But, you can get way better deals for last gen ryzen (R5-2600, R7-2700). You also get the option of picking motherboard that support next gen Ryzen.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10514 posts
5145 upvotes
Toronto
I dont want AMD... who knows even when Zen 3 arrive. sad I missed this deal, a i5-8400 seems like the best bang for your buck gaming processor at $199

will stick with my aging 3770k
Nov 6, 2012
279 posts
374 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I bought i5 8400 3 months ago. I was building a NAS. I wanted a compact system and I like idea of integrated GPU. This processor is really good for this goal. Plex transcoding works fine. At nights it encodes all my media library from H264 to H265 pretty fast (between 7 to 20 minutes for an 1080 episide, depending on length and HDR). If I would build a game rig, I will definetly use ryzen. But for my needs this i5 was a very good choice. Plus I like it's only 65w TDP and it's not getting hot under heavy transcoding.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5933 posts
1046 upvotes
Calgary
Dave510 wrote: Nice, that leaves the person with $60 for a CPU. Which Ryzen CPU can I get with that?

If I’m building a computer for my parents, it’s not going to have a discrete GPU because they won’t be gaming or doing anything intensive. This makes a lot more sense from a cost perspective.
Why would you buy a gaming video card for your parents' non-gaming machine and with $60 for cpu? Why your parents need a 6c/6t cpu?
If you are not doing anything intensive, you can going even cheaper.
Not saying this is bad, but you have to be in specific situation to take advantage of this, for example, if you already have a compatible motherboard lying around or pairing with a noticeably weaker cpu and also need the extra performance but a non-gamers.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: I dont want AMD... who knows even when Zen 3 arrive. sad I missed this deal, a i5-8400 seems like the best bang for your buck gaming processor at $199

will stick with my aging 3770k
Then maybe you can consider grabbing the i5-9400 at CC with the $30 off coupon, bringing that down to $195. It's very slightly faster...still a coffee lake:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 687,134898
9400.png
Last edited by chatbox on Jul 8th, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.