Memory Express boxing day

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2017 8:10 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2006
136 posts
11 upvotes
Bordak wrote: You showed up early in -30^C, for an item you knew nothing about, or even if you wanted it? That's on you, dude.
Who said I showed up early? This was at Noon. Who said I didn't even want it? I ended up getting one at another place. That is kinda the whole point of going to a store, to be sold an item.
You should turn your posting focus to quality, not quantity.
Aug 23, 2015
449 posts
339 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've gone to Mem Ex a few times with questions about specific components and they've worked with me to find the correct answers for what i needed. There is maybe only one other place in the city that I could do that. Certainly not Best Buy or Amazon or Staples.

Just maybe don't do it at the busiest part of the busiest day of the year.
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
508 upvotes
G M wrote: I went to my local ME this boxing day, stood outside in -30c for 20 mins or so. I was looking to get a NAS I ask one of the guys working there if he knew anything about them he said no, he asks another employee, that employee didn't know either and told me "you have to do that research on your own". Third and fourth employee were asked, they didn't know a single thing about NAS either. Ended up a shopper next to me inline was able to give me an idea which would be the one to get. Left empty handed, couldn't believe it.
Which location was this? Why were you standing outside for 20 minutes if you came by at noon?
Jan 6, 2010
188 posts
151 upvotes
Calgary, AB
G M wrote: I went to my local ME this boxing day, stood outside in -30c for 20 mins or so. I was looking to get a NAS I ask one of the guys working there if he knew anything about them he said no, he asks another employee, that employee didn't know either and told me "you have to do that research on your own". Third and fourth employee were asked, they didn't know a single thing about NAS either. Ended up a shopper next to me inline was able to give me an idea which would be the one to get. Left empty handed, couldn't believe it.
Lol, that employee is right. You have to do that research on your own, especially on Boxing Day. Don't waste your time and people's time.
Dec 27, 2006
136 posts
11 upvotes
NetBOG wrote: Just maybe don't do it at the busiest part of the busiest day of the year.
These 4 employees were standing around doing nothing. It wasn't a matter of them being busy.
Dec 27, 2006
136 posts
11 upvotes
Quickman wrote: Which location was this? Why were you standing outside for 20 minutes if you came by at noon?
I guess it looks good on for the people driving by to see a lineup, it wasn't that busy inside.

The whole reason I went later in the day was to avoid the craziness and hopefully get some product insight from someone who's job it is to know about what they sell
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bordak wrote: You showed up early in -30^C, for an item you knew nothing about, or even if you wanted it? That's on you, dude.
maybe a touch harsh, but I would agree that boxing day is for 'buying', not 'shopping'. figure that stuff out when they aren't busy. I'd had great experiences with ME, during regular store hours, being willing to talk me through things and whatnot, but i would never in my right mind ask any employee at any store to spend that kind of time with me on boxing day.
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
508 upvotes
G M wrote: I guess it looks good on for the people driving by to see a lineup, it wasn't that busy inside.

The whole reason I went later in the day was to avoid the craziness and hopefully get some product insight from someone who's job it is to know about what they sell
Ah! I hate that shit! Last year I went to MemEx on Boxing Day around noon. Didn't have to wait in line outside. It wasn't terribly busy, but there were quite a few customers in there. If I may ask, which location was this?
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
Does this seem like a decent deal to anyone?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_MM00001051

I know there were better deals on Gigabyte's AORUS boards but I'm kind of partial to ASUS boards, ROG specifically. I'm currently on a GENE-Z Micro with a 2500k, wanted to go to the multi-threading capabilities of an i7. If I'm buying a chip and a board anyways this seems like a better deal than waiting for deals on parts separately. Any feedback?

My biggest beef with this board in particular is a lack of USB ports on the Rear I/O. My Gene-Z has nearly double despite being a Micro-ATX board. Everything else about it seems pretty good though.