Expired Hot Deals

[Memory Express] MSI RX 5700 MECH OC $460 ($440 AR) also Evoke (ltd qty) @ $410 AR

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 3:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6555 upvotes

[Memory Express] MSI RX 5700 MECH OC $460 ($440 AR) also Evoke (ltd qty) @ $410 AR

First up, the links, these are non-XTs in case it's not clear:
5700 MECH OC:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78675
$459.99 - $20 rebate meaning "$439.99" AR.
Looks like there is healthy stock on this one at ME.

5700 Evoke OC:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78674
$439.99 - $30 rebate = $409.99 AR
This one is quite limited stock, none online and only some locations are showing stock and only a few at that. Note the Evoke gets a $30 rebate, I'll explain why the Evoke is cheaper and the caveats with these cards in post# 2...

Also they come with scAMD's Raise the Game Promo (RE3 + MHW: Iceborn + 3 mos Xbox GamePass) which is some nice added-value :)
https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

These are pretty good prices right now and GPU prices only seem to be slowly climbing at the moment. RX 5700 is the cut down Navi 10 XT, so really it should be Navi 10 PRO, but for some reason they call it Navi 10 XL (?) but whatever. For comparison, this GPU is faster [for gaming] than:
GTX 1080
Vega 64
RTX 2060

Less power than the first/older two and slightly more power than the 2060, but it's more power efficient based on better performance. It's also cheaper than any 2060 I've seen recently (was one on NewEgg Shell Shocker recently but was Asus and I'm not dealing with them and their warranty scams TYVM). 5700 is slightly below RTX 2060 Super and a bit more below the 5700 XT full Navi 10. No ray-tracing on AMD but RT on the 2060 is too slow to be beneficial anyway (need to go 2070/better for that).

Anyway just sharing what I found. Believe me I spent a lot of time looking at pricing on these cards the past couple weeks, as well as looking at historical prices. Surely there will be the "wait for this or that" crowd showing up; or the "time machine" crowd talking about the prices on BF/BD; and the "it's COVID time now" crowd, I get it. But I'm not sure waiting for prices to drop much is gonna go so well in the near future so I just said forget it and pulled the trigger. I'm usually not one to buy videocards over $250, in fact I never have, but I reasoned this out in my head somehow :rolleyes: (greater story below).
102 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6555 upvotes
Thinking of upgrading your RX 580/Ellesmere-class or GTX 1060-class card?
I spent a good bit of time researching a card upgrade in the past week or two. Came to the conclusion that upgrading an RX 580 would require a GTX 1660 Super, at a minimum to qualify as an upgrade. Seemed to be the right direction but I started seeing the prices on these cards were about $350 for one with a decent cooler. I got to looking at what else there was and found the RX 5600 XT was looking like great bang-for buck at around $400ish, being much faster than 1660 Ti and even faster than the older-gen GTX 1080 by a hair. Being faster than a 1080 kind of piqued my interest. When I say faster I mean gaming BTW, compute is a slightly different story.

I started seeing the prices on these cards go up slowly though, which was a bit disappointing. Example, Sapphire Pulse was $410 the week before I started looking into this and was $419.99 at the time...but has now gone up to $430-440. Frustrating! I started looking for other deals and saw that there are actually 5700s going for not much more money. 5700 is the cut-down Navi 10, so it's Navi 10 PRO (or XL as it seems they are calling it) while the 5600 XT is the same GPU but the name becomes Navi 10 XLE. 5600 XT not a different GPU butt has lower clocks, lower VRAM speed (some cases), cut-down RAM bus, and 2GB less VRAM. Reminds me of years ago when there was a special version of the HD 7870 that was really a Tahiti card (instead of Pitcairn XT) so it was known as either "7870 XT" or "7870 Tahiti LE".

Anyhow I found one 5700 card (literally one in stock at all locations) on clearance at CC--the MSI 5700 Evoke OC for $439 and $30 rebate. Looked like a great price since new and not OB or anything like that. I went to that CC location but they didn't actually have it :( A day later I realised they also had the MSI 5700 MECH OC for $459 and $20 rebate, but only two in stock. Went to one and they one, so I picked it up :) Didn't post on RFD because there wasn't really stock anywhere to make it worth the post.

Before opening the card I took one last glance for deals while I could still return and noticed no better deals. BUT ME now has the same deals on these two cards so now I can post it here: )

Rundown of the two MSI 5700s:
So, what are these two cards, why are they a bit cheaper (substantially in the case of Evoke) than other 5700s? Well first off to be clear these are nearly the same card, basically the same board, just different colour scheme--shroud and backplate. Secondly, both of these cards are better than the reference 5700.

The Evoke has an all-metal shell and is some odd gold colour; the MECH is black/grey and all plastic (yes backplate too :rolleyes: ). So why then is the Evoke cheaper and have a bigger rebate? Turns out, the Evoke was widely reviewed along with other 5700 non-reference cards... The Evoke had a few areas of concern, particularly the thermal pads on the VRAM which were not up to snuff, and the end result was a hotter and louder card than competitors. This basically turned into a fiasco for them and though they did make some revisions, it's tough to tell if you would get a card with the revisions or not. Seems like they are on clearance now, at least partly due to the earlier bad press.

The MECH card is basically the same card it seems but it didn't get the kind of review coverage the Evoke did so it sort of went under the radar? Again people say they put better pads on the card now (and there's also a newer GP revision of the MECH but this isn't it). Who knows what you're gonna get when you open the box. One other minor thing is the MECH does not have fan-stop mode for whatever reason, but this can be setup in other ways anyway.

So there's the story of why the Evoke is so cheap, and why the MECH is not far off. Keep in mind though the cooling is still better and more quiet than the reference version. Also MSI IIRC is one of the few manufacturers that maintains your warranty if you remove/reinstall the cooler (XFX is the other, possibly eVGA as well), so there's the ability to upgrade the thermal padding if you feel you need to. Given the pricing is so close to the RX 5600 XTs I was seeing I figured this was the best overall bang for buck without spending ludicrous money on higher-end cards. This is how I went from $320-350 for a 1660 Super to $460 (well at least there is that $20 rebate and RE3 included, so it starts to make up for it).

Pros/Cons v. GTX 1660 Super or Ti:
+Significantly faster all around, except maybe some compute disciplines (like Folding where Nvidia is much better)
-Good bit more expensive than the Super (but not much more than overpriced Ti)
+/-More power, but consistent with performance.
+Raise the Game promo w/2 games

Advantages over the RX 5600 XT:
+Not much more expensive.
+Higher core clock.
+You can get the core to 5700 XT speeds as well, by using the XT BIOS or by OCing and using MorePowerTool. Note that a 5700 is a cut down core so it will always be missing 4 CUs, reflashing doesn't change that--2304:144:64 v. 2560:160:64 for the XT.
+8GB instead of 6GB, most useful for more demanding games at 1440p, or for 4K (this isn't exactly a "4K card" but it can do 4K alright for older/less demanding games).
+More VRAM bandwidth--256bit v. 192bit on the 5600 XT = 448 GB/s v. 336 GB/s (even on the 5600 XTs that have 14Gbps VRAM)

Vs RTX 2060:
+Cheaper!
+Faster [gaming]!
-Slightly more power (but made up for with more performance)
-No ray-tracing (but RT not impressive on 2060 anyway)
+Raise the Game promo w/2 games

These particular two 5700 cards:
-Poor thermal pad design, resulting in higher temps and noise than competitors.
-Dumb plastic backplate on the MECH
-No dual BIOS :(
-No fan-stop mode on the Mech (Evoke has it)
+Lower price than most 5700s :)
+/- MIR for more savings
+Relatively small cards @ only 23cm (9") long for the MECH, 25cm (10") for the Evoke
+3yr warranty + should be able to remove cooler w/o voiding (advisable to confirm with MSI though)

Anyway hopefully this helps ppl out looking for a card in this segment--strong enough for 1440p, and perhaps still considerable as a weaker/lower-end 4K. 4K is a tall order really, you need very expensive cards to game well there but with reduced settings and settling for 30FPS the Navi cards are alright here.

Why I bothered to make such a long post(s) on a simple GPU deal posting:
Honestly whenever I see a post on a videocard here there seem to be a lot of questions about things like "is this faster than my card?" / "is it a good upgrade?" or "what about this other card?" and so on. Then various people try to fill in the blanks for people. Hopefully my own research and knowledge here can help people out in one place without having to post more questions, wait for replies, etc. :) Even if few are looking to spend on a GPU right now, hopefully this can serve for info later for people.

Others are certainly welcome to post if there's something better out there, why this deal sucks, etc. lol. I tried not to fanboy either scAMD or Ngreedia here BTW, and gave credit to both. Just seems like AMD has Nvidia beat in this segment right now. AMD has no high end of course, and in the lower-end Nvidia wins out with cards like 1650 Super and 1660 Super in their respective categories.
Jul 24, 2017
82 posts
198 upvotes
I purchased a 5700 XT Evoke OC edition (open box) 2 weeks ago at CC for 430 -30$ MIR. Pretty happy with the card, i must have a new revision because my temp never go over 65C and 89C at Junction.
Jun 29, 2016
789 posts
352 upvotes
You forgot to mention the $10 shipping charge that ME has.
Also prices on the 5700 should be below $450 without rebates & such. MIR should not count since it is always a hassle to get.
I got the XFX 5700xt thicc from Amazon for $500, I consider any 5700xt around the $500 mark a good price. Open box Items have a 30 days warranty, expensive AMD cards and 30 days warranties give me the willies for some reason :)
Sep 15, 2015
230 posts
124 upvotes
Will these cards produce less heat than my Rx 570? My card doesn't pass 70 degrees while gaming but produces so much heat, my computer turns into a furnace and heats up the whole room.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1429 posts
374 upvotes
Kitchener
govas19 wrote: You forgot to mention the $10 shipping charge that ME has.
Also prices on the 5700 should be below $450 without rebates & such. MIR should not count since it is always a hassle to get.
I got the XFX 5700xt thicc from Amazon for $500, I consider any 5700xt around the $500 mark a good price. Open box Items have a 30 days warranty, expensive AMD cards and 30 days warranties give me the willies for some reason :)
5700 XT version can be had for $489 after rebate! $599 - 80$ - $30 rebate.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78671
Oct 25, 2006
274 posts
70 upvotes
Managed to snag a 2070 super on ebay today for $480. There were 6 available and got the last one.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6555 upvotes
govas19 wrote: You forgot to mention the $10 shipping charge that ME has.
Nah I didn't, that all depends on the individual. A lot of people are also holed up and "scared to go out" right now, so there might be shipping even from local stores for some. It's not free shipping though, you're right. Perhaps it should be pointed out otherwise in absence of no tag about "free shipping" it should be assumed you either have to go there or pay for shipping. Didn't include tax either but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist--everyone's tax is also going to vary by location.
govas19 wrote: Also prices on the 5700 should be below $450 without rebates & such. MIR should not count since it is always a hassle to get.
That's why I listed MIR as "+/-" as it depends on how you look at it. Also the what the price "should be" is really not the reality right now unfortunately, and with the dollar tanking that's not going to get any better, believe me. Truth is this is still not out of line with what AMD put the MSRPs at, unlike the Polaris fiasco where what the cards "should have been" was a cruel joke by scAMD and then the 2nd mining wave just took it from there to the point where cards were going for over double what they "should have" been going for. Right now is a slight calm period, so personally I went ahead and bought. Others are certainly welcome to wait until they sell for what they feel they "should be" selling for.
govas19 wrote: I got the XFX 5700xt thicc from Amazon for $500, I consider any 5700xt around the $500 mark a good price. Open box Items have a 30 days warranty, expensive AMD cards and 30 days warranties give me the willies for some reason :)
Exactly and the ones I listed are brand new retail units with full warranties and Raise the Game. Amazon is not even eligible for Raise the game this time around btw, so I advise ppl not to buy from there unless they don't care about the promo. Lots of stories on reddit, linus, etc. of ppl getting screwed on game codes with Amazon in the previous promos where they were supposed to be a part of it; now they're officially out so at least ppl know ahead of time.
boqbal wrote: Will these cards produce less heat than my Rx 570? My card doesn't pass 70 degrees while gaming but produces so much heat, my computer turns into a furnace and heats up the whole room.
RX 570 is not that much heat, lol. RX 570 is less than 150W dissipated unless you are OC'd and/or overvolted. Even at 180W that can't be heating your room very much at all unless it's a very small room. In that case save money on your heating bill by turning your heat down lol. Note that heat generated by computer components is very near the same efficiency as electric space heaters, so the cost of doing the actual computing if you were subtracting the heat output is quite minimal. Still 200W electric heat ain't gonna do much to heat anything but a pretty small space.

If your card is factory OC you may want to check on that--make sure the stock voltages aren't too much and undervolt from there if you can. Then leave your powertune slider at 0 so it doesn't use any more power (it won't clock as well that way either but hey them's the breaks). RX 5700 is basically the same range of power consumption as 570/580; but it's also roughly 2x the gaming performance. So the heat output will be nearly the same with the card running full tilt but if you're only looking to use a fraction of the card's performance (like if you were gaming at 1080p still) then you might only be needing 50-70% the power which means it would produce less heat.
SomeGuyGG wrote:
5700 XT version can be had for $489 after rebate! $599 - 80$ - $30 rebate.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78671
Yeah CC also had the MECH OC XT card for $509 - $20 rebate = $489 as well. However that sale ended the same day I noticed it, but perhaps will got back to that price. MSI has also renewed the same rebates for month of April (previously it was only until end of March). For me I was already well beyond the $320ish I was originally thinking of spending so though $50 more for the XT might be an okay ask, I wasn't ready to get into spending even more :lol:
kalekainxx wrote: Managed to snag a 2070 super on ebay today for $480. There were 6 available and got the last one.
I imagine that is not a new card though--if it is new that's an insane deal but if not it becomes apples to oranges. You can always get used stuff off kijiji, eBay, etc. for cheaper, everyone should know that. I often do recommend that but personally I'm not taking a $500 risk on that as could end up with dead GPU, issues, etc. and no warranty. At least with eBay you have a dispute process sure but it's a hassle to go through and still, probably no warranty. I'd be more comfortable with that on a $100-200 GPU as it's a lot less to lose.
Nov 25, 2007
251 posts
170 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
For those interested in the Evoke, I bought one from Mike's Computer back over the Christmas Holidays and it was one of the updated / redesigned ones with larger thermal pads and additional pads sinking the back of the PCB to the back metal plate.

I have no heat issues whatsoever while softmodded to XT performance levels with MorePowerTools (vastly safer than bios flashing IMHO) all in a mini-ITX case!
Sep 16, 2012
574 posts
404 upvotes
GTA/London
Great post OP, I picked up a 5700 Evoke OC on Amazon last week for $430 (pricing has gone back up), I'll try and file an MIR since it doesnt seem to be retailer specific.
chewysc wrote: For those interested in the Evoke, I bought one from Mike's Computer back over the Christmas Holidays and it was one of the updated / redesigned ones with larger thermal pads and additional pads sinking the back of the PCB to the back metal plate.

I have no heat issues whatsoever while softmodded to XT performance levels with MorePowerTools (vastly safer than bios flashing IMHO) all in a mini-ITX case!
Hey, I just purchased an Evoke from Amazon and I'm not quite sure how to tell whether its an updated one- my serial number has an "SP1909" in the middle, so I figured that it was built in September so it may not have the fixes... did you check by S/N or physically?

I'm also gonna be building in a mITX case, so the temps you have as a reference would be great :)
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, Rogers WE
Sep 15, 2004
284 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up an ASRock 5700 from Newegg at $389 before taxes two weeks ago. Is this card better for the price difference?
Nov 25, 2007
251 posts
170 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
DaveProductions wrote: Hey, I just purchased an Evoke from Amazon and I'm not quite sure how to tell whether its an updated one- my serial number has an "SP1909" in the middle, so I figured that it was built in September so it may not have the fixes... did you check by S/N or physically?

I'm also gonna be building in a mITX case, so the temps you have as a reference would be great :)
I'm not sure about the serial number as I'm too lazy to pull out my card to look. It's super easy to tell though. Look between the back plate and PCB by shining a flash light through it and you should see pads there with the revised cards.

In terms of temps, I just ran a Time Spy and didn't change my fan curves for benchmarking (so GPU fans max at 2,000 RPM) so it's a little warmer than when gaming. Max temps in Celsius, GPU Temp: 67, GPU (Hot Spot): 88, Memory: 80, VRM: 60. GPU clock is averaging about 1875 MHz, Memory clock is 1800 MHz, undervolted to 1025 so max Power Draw for the run was 174 W.

I hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2861 posts
722 upvotes
Amazon had the nitro+ 5700 xt for $380 about 1 month ago. I missed that deal because it was never posted on RFD for some reason. Obviously a price error but Amazon honored the price for the lucky who sent an order in.
Sep 16, 2012
574 posts
404 upvotes
GTA/London
chewysc wrote: I'm not sure about the serial number as I'm too lazy to pull out my card to look. It's super easy to tell though. Look between the back plate and PCB by shining a flash light through it and you should see pads there with the revised cards.

In terms of temps, I just ran a Time Spy and didn't change my fan curves for benchmarking (so GPU fans max at 2,000 RPM) so it's a little warmer than when gaming. Max temps in Celsius, GPU Temp: 67, GPU (Hot Spot): 88, Memory: 80, VRM: 60. GPU clock is averaging about 1875 MHz, Memory clock is 1800 MHz, undervolted to 1025 so max Power Draw for the run was 174 W.

I hope that helps!
Turns out my hunch about S/N's were bang on- there were indeed no pads between the back plate and PCB, which makes sense as the findings weren't announced until late August. It was also an v1.1 PCB which in review videos of the revised cards, are version 3.1.

Buyer beware! Make sure you have a version that has the pads fix. God knows how long it will take for Amazon will ship a replacement...
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, Rogers WE

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)