Expired Hot Deals

[Memory Express] RED 10TB NAS Desktop Hard Drive, SATA III w/ 256MB Cache - $279.99

[OP]
Oct 12, 2018
5 posts
16 upvotes

[Memory Express] RED 10TB NAS Desktop Hard Drive, SATA III w/ 256MB Cache - $279.99

I believe that this is the lowest price it has ever been. I checked on Amazon using *************** and the lowest reported price was $306

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX67168
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3846 posts
1652 upvotes
Appreciate the post.

We now have a 6, 8, and 10TB thread. We should maybe pair them up?
Sep 26, 2018
489 posts
1048 upvotes
+ 9$ shipping unless you can pick up in store
I have spoken
Feb 19, 2009
362 posts
346 upvotes
Brampton
I have about 60 TB across 10 drives currently, and i've been rocking a home server for over 10 years now.
I really don't get why people overpay for NAS quality drives.

I have the odd failure, sure. But I always run redundant raids, and when I pay half the price per TB I always come out ahead.
Maybe if you "really did" use these drives 24/7 that would be an issue. My drives are sleeping 22-24 hours a day.

Guess if you have the money why not, but you need to back up anyway, so what's the big deal about reliability?
$20-$25 per TB, thats my cut off.

I'm not trolling the deal, clearly some people like these, but I just don't get it.
Feb 11, 2010
114 posts
119 upvotes
GTA
acidcaribou wrote: I have about 60 TB across 10 drives currently, and i've been rocking a home server for over 10 years now.

I have the odd failure, sure. But I always run redundant raids, and when I pay half the price per TB I always come out ahead.
Maybe if you "really did" use these drives 24/7 that would be an issue. My drives are sleeping 22-24 hours a day.

Guess if you have the money why not, but you need to back up anyway, so what's the big deal about reliability?

I'm not trolling the deal, clearly some people like these, but I just don't get it.
What are you running FreeNAS?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2158 posts
622 upvotes
acidcaribou wrote: I have about 60 TB across 10 drives currently, and i've been rocking a home server for over 10 years now.

if you're going to type all that anyway, you might as well suggest some alternative deals while you're here
Sep 30, 2001
28080 posts
7145 upvotes
Toronto
hope Amazon matches this as well
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Jan 24, 2015
475 posts
277 upvotes
GTA
do you need a NAS to use this, or can i use an enclosure of some kind? any good NAS to get, they all look like hundreds of dollars?
Nov 6, 2013
27 posts
27 upvotes
Fort Frances
No you dont need to use a NAS for this. they are just designed to handle vibrations from other drives beside.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1052 posts
600 upvotes
AB

I get it if all drives are constantly getting reads/writes, but for home users regular drives in a nas situation are usually fine.

Have 160tb, some are nas specific drives, most are not. Never needed the benefits of a nas drive, just sometimes the price made sense
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1703 posts
875 upvotes
Calgary
Unless you want to shuck the drive, the 10TB WD RED is currently the cheapest 10TB drive I'm seeing at Memory Express. $279 for a good quality 10TB drive is a good deal no matter if it's a NAS drive or not.
Aug 17, 2012
359 posts
225 upvotes
COQUITLAM
redflags10 wrote: do you need a NAS to use this, or can i use an enclosure of some kind? any good NAS to get, they all look like hundreds of dollars?
I'm using one right now as an internal hard drive for storage.