Expired Hot Deals

[Memory Express] Synology DiskStation DS918+ 4-Bay High Performance NAS - $629.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2020 8:05 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2012
911 posts
137 upvotes

[Memory Express] Synology DiskStation DS918+ 4-Bay High Performance NAS - $629.99

Thought I would repost this since it was out of stock yesterday but as of posting there are 3 units available online
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1393 posts
3990 upvotes
Calgary, AB
For that price you could buy a large 8 HDD Slot tower along with your motherboard, power supply, CPU, and RAM. Slap on UnRAID or FreeNAS and you have a much higher performance NAS that can be future upgraded.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1133 posts
1090 upvotes
Blainville, QC
blyndfyre wrote: For that price you could buy a large 8 HDD Slot tower along with your motherboard, power supply, CPU, and RAM. Slap on UnRAID or FreeNAS and you have a much higher performance NAS that can be future upgraded.
Hard to beat the power consumption (efficiency) of a dedicated NAS like this one. I agree with your point though from a price to performance ratio.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
4577 posts
2616 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: For that price you could buy a large 8 HDD Slot tower along with your motherboard, power supply, CPU, and RAM. Slap on UnRAID or FreeNAS and you have a much higher performance NAS that can be future upgraded.
That took less time than expected.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1393 posts
3990 upvotes
Calgary, AB
sid8tive wrote: Hard to beat the power consumption (efficiency) of a dedicated NAS like this one. I agree with your point though from a price to performance ratio.
I'm from Alberta, I don't know what Power Consumption or Efficiency means.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1423 posts
355 upvotes
Calgary
Is there a new model coming out to replace this one? Had noticed it was this price the other day on amazon for a few minutes according to camel. Wouldn't mind consolidating my two nas into one.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1133 posts
1090 upvotes
Blainville, QC
blyndfyre wrote: I'm from Alberta, I don't know what Power Consumption or Efficiency means.
:) I may be from QC, but I love pickups. So I don't know what those terms mean either.

For this NAS though, that translates into quieter operation. And that I like :)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1393 posts
3990 upvotes
Calgary, AB
sid8tive wrote: :) I may be from QC, but I love pickups. So I don't know what those terms mean either.

For this NAS though, that translates into quieter operation. And that I like :)
Fair enough. For me, I like to be able to run Plex/Emby servers with multiple simultaneous transcodes to family members, as well as a central home automation server, and a few other handy uses.

I just stuff it in the basement utility room, so noise and heat are no concern.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1133 posts
1090 upvotes
Blainville, QC
blyndfyre wrote: Fair enough. For me, I like to be able to run Plex/Emby servers with multiple simultaneous transcodes to family members, as well as a central home automation server, and a few other handy uses.

I just stuff it in the basement utility room, so noise and heat are no concern.
Awesome. That's the dream for me once I move into a house from a condo. For basement scenarios, NASes like these aren't good value.
Oct 1, 2005
602 posts
403 upvotes
Kitchener
bomberman447 wrote: Is there a new model coming out to replace this one? Had noticed it was this price the other day on amazon for a few minutes according to camel. Wouldn't mind consolidating my two nas into one.
Perhaps the end of 2020 for a new 4 bay in the plus series. Nothing any time soon. Speculation is potential supply issues on Intel Celeron 4000 series (the logical choice of CPU based on past models). Early this year they released the 1019+ as sort of a refresh. Only difference is 1 more drive bay and 4GB more ram out of the box. Same as 918+ otherwise. Amazon US had it for $550 USD on Black Friday. Amazon Canada doesn’t carry any of the 2019 models for some reason (1019 and 1819).
Sep 8, 2019
136 posts
224 upvotes
Calgary
But for most users it will take many, many, many hours to get it all set up properly. This simply works right after unboxing and plugging it in.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14763 posts
5996 upvotes
Ottawa
tietherope wrote: That took less time than expected.
16 minutes to post "DIY build is better" in a NAS deal thread. Is that a RFD record?

Somebody should track these things :)
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Mar 26, 2007
146 posts
161 upvotes
I bought the ds918+ 2 years ago with 2 hgst 10tb nas drives. Excellent product for plex with hw acceleration, hdhomerun (plex pass). Docker for xteve (hdhomerun emularor for iptv), torrenting under vpn, jackett, sonarr, radarr, omby. Also the software (diskstation) is easy to use and updated frequently. Also surveillance station is included for recording on my differents ipcam.
Jul 10, 2019
351 posts
287 upvotes
ndompierre wrote: I bought the ds918+ 2 years ago with 2 hgst 10tb nas drives. Excellent product for plex with hw acceleration, hdhomerun (plex pass). Docker for xteve (hdhomerun emularor for iptv), torrenting under vpn, jackett, sonarr, radarr, omby. Also the software (diskstation) is easy to use and updated frequently. Also surveillance station is included for recording on my differents ipcam.
i wish we had another alternative that's more or less on part to plex. i don't trust their lack of transparency when it comes to privacy.
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
May 9, 2008
537 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
great price. I got the 418 Play and upgraded the RAM. not using it for PLEX but mainly storage and its great!
Aug 15, 2018
165 posts
91 upvotes
Very good price. I have the DS918+ with 4 WD 4TB Gold's running for over a year and love it. Also had a docker image running my UniFi Controller for a while.
I'm using the Synology C2 Backup which I'm quite happy with. Only have the 300 GB for €24.99 / year for now, only saving sensitive data.
Feb 15, 2017
215 posts
66 upvotes
I have this NAS for about 2 years now as the main NAS for SMB file sharing and for backup with Hyperbackup. A second NAS (418play) is the standby that acts as the Hyperbackup Vault server.

Also added an external USB HDD to one of its USB3 ports as the third backup drive. Scheduled backup runs once a week for personal data (mostly family photos and video clips over the years and personal documents) that goes to Hyperbackup vault and the external USB HDD.

Both NAS's power on and off on scheduled times. SMB file sharing ran 110 - 120 MB per second over Gig-E network of 2 8-port Netgear switches. I had zero maintenance of the system other than occasional firmware upgrades. I feel their reliability, I have no complain of the units, other than their prices.
Nov 13, 2011
650 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
slomoo wrote: I have this NAS for about 2 years now as the main NAS for SMB file sharing and for backup with Hyperbackup. A second NAS (418play) is the standby that acts as the Hyperbackup Vault server.

Also added an external USB HDD to one of its USB3 ports as the third backup drive. Scheduled backup runs once a week for personal data (mostly family photos and video clips over the years and personal documents) that goes to Hyperbackup vault and the external USB HDD.

Both NAS's power on and off on scheduled times. SMB file sharing ran 110 - 120 MB per second over Gig-E network of 2 8-port Netgear switches. I had zero maintenance of the system other than occasional firmware upgrades. I feel their reliability, I have no complain of the units, other than their prices.
Have you tried simulating a hard drive failure to make sure it actually works?