• Dec 26th, 2020 11:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary

[Memory Express] Synology DS420+ NAS $564.99 / DS220+ $344.99

For those needing a NAS to go with those 14TB Easystore drives from Best Buy, Memory Express just reduced the price of two great NAS units from Synology for Boxing Day weekend (until Monday).

DS220+ 2-Bay is $349.99 ($85 off)
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00113034

DS420+ 4-Bay is $564.99 ($135 off)
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00113035

Note that if you purchased one of these within 15 days from them, they WILL honor the price protection if you visit them between Dec. 27-31st.

I myself am torn between price matching my DS220+ I bought last Friday or just upgrading to the DS420+ for more bays.

Happy shopping!

Edit: Just a clarification on the price match thing. It does not apply for competitor prices, and here is what they say.
No returns / exchanges / price protection on Boxing Day (Dec 26) To process as many customers as possible, all of our customer service staff will be helping our sales staff to process orders on Boxing Day. If you purchased something during our Boxing Week Sale, and there is a lower price on Boxing Day, we will be processing price protection for those purchases between Dec 27th to 31st
Last edited by Devhux on Dec 25th, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Jul 15, 2003
680 posts
757 upvotes
How's Memory Express compared to say New Egg or Canada Computers in terms of customer service?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1079 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Great deal! Pricing for shipping isnt great though
Aug 28, 2013
231 posts
144 upvotes
barcathegreat wrote: How's Memory Express compared to say New Egg or Canada Computers in terms of customer service?
I've been trying to connect with their CS for the last 3 months numerous times to no avail.. Extremely bad experience for me. Got couple of RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 cards that supposed to come with game code, never got it. Wrote 6-7 emails no answer. Phone lines busy all the time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary
barcathegreat wrote: How's Memory Express compared to say New Egg or Canada Computers in terms of customer service?
Too many horror stories of Canada Computers lately regarding returns and such to recommend them IMO, but also can't speak about Newegg as I've maybe ever ordered two things from them (which arrived on time). Memory Express has served me well over the past 20 years or so here in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1187 posts
843 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
I've always had a good experience with Memory Express.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary
BobyTT wrote: I've been trying to connect with their CS for the last 3 months numerous times to no avail.. Extremely bad experience for me. Got couple of RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 cards that supposed to come with game code, never got it. Wrote 6-7 emails no answer. Phone lines busy all the time.
I understand about the phone lines and such. Sucks to hear about the lack of response to emails as well though I know they've been dealing with some staffing issues due to COVID but definitely not excusing them for not getting back to you. :( Have you tried DM'ing them on Twitter/social media?
Last edited by Devhux on Dec 25th, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary
lilclie wrote: Great deal! Pricing for shipping isnt great though
Yeah, I'm lucky in that they have a store 10 minutes from me so I never really pay attention to shipping costs from them. I did check Newegg and Canada Computers and they don't have great deals on these.
Aug 28, 2013
231 posts
144 upvotes
Devhux wrote: I understand about the phone lines and such. Sucks to hear about the lack of response to emails as well though I know they've been dealing with some staffing issues due to COVID but definitely not excusing them for not getting back to you. :( Have you tried DM'ing them on Twitter/social media?
To be honest i didn't tried social media. Anyway its over now. I missed Watched Dogs codes x2 and one COD Black Ops. I bought the game anyway, but still it was advertised that is coming with the video card...
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2749 posts
821 upvotes
West
CDN86 wrote: The DS220+ is currently the same price on Amazon, free shipping and probably better returns.

https://www.amazon.ca/Synology-DiskStat ... 087ZCBWFH/
Much thanks for that!!
I was trying to order from MemoryExpress but the site is lagging so hard making it impossible to put an order through. Plus no shipping charge from amazon and easy to return if there's an issue. Pretty sure I don't "need" one but i have been watching prices on this for a while and this is the cheapest I have seen it yet. Dam you holiday season deals!!! :)
On the Koodo $40 for 8GB Plan 😉
Jun 8, 2010
201 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
The DSS420+ is the same price at Amazon.ca too, but with a delivery date of mid January. If you don't see the same price, ensure the seller is Amazon.
Happy customer of Zoomer Wireless and Tangerine
Jul 22, 2020
30 posts
16 upvotes
honestly Memory express customer service is more friendly compare with Canada Computers. especially GPU and other stuff return policy.
for price match , cc right now decline all PM, since ME still do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary
Moorec2k wrote: honestly Memory express customer service is more friendly compare with Canada Computers. especially GPU and other stuff return policy.
for price match , cc right now decline all PM, since ME still do.
Well to be fair, Memory Express has final sale on the new GPUs too - mostly due to pretty much no stock and to ensure people really want them I guess when pre-ordering them.

As for the Amazon listings i didn't see them when initially posting. I agree if you don't have a Memory Express near you and can wait, that's probably your best option. Actually, with delays in shipping from Memory Express right now anyways due to demand, if you don't have a local Memory Express store just order on Amazon; you'd likely get it at the same time.
Last edited by Devhux on Dec 25th, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2018
123 posts
141 upvotes
Can someone explain the hype of these things? Like why drop 4 bills on one of these over a cheap cpu/mobo/case/PSU? Is it because it comes in a pretty little package?
Dec 3, 2019
77 posts
83 upvotes
dealhunterog wrote: Can someone explain the hype of these things? Like why drop 4 bills on one of these over a cheap cpu/mobo/case/PSU? Is it because it comes in a pretty little package?
Yup basically convenience factor. Your can build your own with higher specs for the same price, or go a cheaper route with still pretty good specs.
Also, not everyone has the time or tech know-how to figure out how to DIY it with something like Unraid or TrueNAS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2215 posts
1271 upvotes
Calgary
dealhunterog wrote: Can someone explain the hype of these things? Like why drop 4 bills on one of these over a cheap cpu/mobo/case/PSU? Is it because it comes in a pretty little package?
Pretty much an all-in-one unit and likely easier to set up than building your own. Support and warranty also plays a role. If you're comfortable with rolling your own solution and learning everything manually (like setting up FreeNAS/UnRaid, then by all means go the DIY route.

Hah! MichaelNumbers beat me to it.
Dec 4, 2017
63 posts
58 upvotes
Anyone has a link for 420+ from amazon? Couldn’t find one at OP’s price on there. Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4136 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder what the prospects are of getting Canada Computers to price-match this. Anyone have any insight?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4136 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
In addition to the factors already mentioned, the software is well designed, the units are very compact, and electricity usage is very low (15 W when active).