Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Memory Express

WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe M.2 PCI-E 4.0 SSD, 1TB (45% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2023 9:33 pm
49 replies
Oct 20, 2018
470 posts
509 upvotes
I know it’s possible to buy an external enclosure to use as a external drive but is it recommended?
Should it be better to buy directly an external ssd hard drive?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2022
1513 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
The average price of this nvme is around $130ish on Amazon.

I wouldn't believe the $175 45% off thing
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
flood4 wrote: I know it’s possible to buy an external enclosure to use as a external drive but is it recommended?
Should it be better to buy directly an external ssd hard drive?
An external enclosure is better because you can swap SSDs. For instance if one day 1TB isn't enough and you find a 2TB or 4TB SSD on sale at a good price.

This can also be invaluable if you want to upgrade an SSD inside a laptop to a larger one because you can put it in the external enclosure, boot from that, then clone to the new SSD in the laptop.

External SSDs are usually sealed so that this isn't [easily] possible.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 25, 2010
380 posts
430 upvotes
Canada, Quebec, Mont…
When I did quick search not long ago, this was supposed to be a good resource to evaluate fast SSDs:
http://ssd.borecraft.com/

Coming from this Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/commen ... resources/

That being said, I ended up taking a Kingston KC3000 to replace an SSD that was at its end of life since it is in the "high-end" NVME SSD list at a decent price (< 120$ for 1TB). Its endurance is higher (measured in supported Terabyte Written) and it has Dram (lot of newer drive don't have it, but support HMB, I am no expert, but you can search on it if you care about those details -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/784380/ ... eaper.html -- should not change much in practice and you will save the money if you want to save some bucks to go with a DRAM-less SSD).

KC3000
TBW = 800TB for the 1TB model
NewMaxx's High-End NVMe List
x4 PCIe 4.0/NVMe
Has Dram on board (better)
TLC
~115-125$/1TB

MP33
1TB is the best Price/GB for an NVME drive according to PC Part Picker:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/
internal-hard-drive/#D=1&sort=ppgb&page=1
TBW = 600TB for the 1TB model
5 year warranty
NewMaxx's Entry-Level NVMe List
x4 PCIe 3.0/NVMe
Dram-less (support HMB)
TLC
70$ (and less)/1TB

WD SN770
NewMaxx's Mid-Range NVMe List
x4 PCIe 4.0/NVMe
TBW = 600 TB for the 1TB Model
Dram-less (support HMB)
TLC
At $95 it is ATL
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
1979 posts
2637 upvotes
The last time I bought something from ME was around 10 years ago. Do they still have good customer service these days?
Jan 30, 2007
477 posts
245 upvotes
3express wrote: The last time I bought something from ME was around 10 years ago. Do they still have good customer service these days?
Visited them for the first time recently on a build and would recommend them to anyone who has one locally. Exceptional customer service from my experience.

Got this drive during the BF sale and the speeds surprisely from review is really fast even without DRAM. Good price for a quality nvme.

Nov 16, 2016
22 posts
26 upvotes
Grabbed one from Amazon, had to grab some drives for home server anyway. Thx OP
Nov 12, 2012
767 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Would this work good for PS5? What else do I need to install it
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1096 posts
1285 upvotes
extinct1 wrote: Would this work good for PS5? What else do I need to install it
It falls below Sony's recommendations of 5500 mb/s plus PS5 doesn't know how to handle HMB so I probably wouldnt use it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5598 posts
3972 upvotes
GTA
Price in title not 45% off please.
May 6, 2021
53 posts
33 upvotes
Yes price in titles please. Not a bad deal, thx
Apr 1, 2009
669 posts
970 upvotes
Winnipeg
From the OG price at this retailer it is 45% off unless you are reinventing math.
shabby wrote: Price in title not 45% off please.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2019
1544 posts
1697 upvotes
3express wrote: The last time I bought something from ME was around 10 years ago. Do they still have good customer service these days?
I built a mostly complete rig from ME recently and they provided excellent customer service. It's been several years since I built a new rig and have been out of the game, so I needed to get up to speed fast. The staff member who helped me put together a price list according to my budget made great recommendations and my new rig is performing solidly. Also saved quite a bit of money in the process and I didn't have to wait for shipping. NCIX was where I got my parts from when I built my last new rig. You can tell how long ago was that. lol Face With Tears Of Joy

Maybe because the rent is very cheap in a dodgy strip mall, my ME is located there to keep the prices low. You can't have everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Before NCIX went out of business, I did find ME to be generally more expensive. Thankfully, the sketchy people are on the other end of the mall and generally congregate at the Tim's and not by the ME.

If you're buying in-store, I recommend checking out ME. However, because each ME is franchised (that's what I would generally think since I haven't heard of them having corporate stores), I would think YMMV when it comes to customer service in store. So it could be an adventure depending on how much of a short leash HQ keeps on each store. If you're buying online, make sure you take advantage of ME's free shipping for orders over $1,000. Shipping generally kills the deal though and Amazon is generally the king of online shopping due to more opportunities for free shipping like a lower minimum and if you have a Prime membership.

I feel it's a godsend to have a local ME and they are generally quite competitive when it comes to pricing and I have price matched with them before and they were able to honour the price match. Nothing beats being able to buy products in-store at the same competitive prices and not having to wait for shipping.

Another big catch about shopping locally at ME is the availability. My store tends to run out of stock very fast. Confused Face However, if you shop in-store, you would be able to support local as well which keeps money and jobs local.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
May 4, 2014
422 posts
1017 upvotes
Markham
WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s - WDS200T3X0E

https://a.co/d/6G6Dpdl

Memoryexpress.com $179.99
Jul 3, 2015
344 posts
951 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
100 wrote: From the OG price at this retailer it is 45% off unless you are reinventing math.
I think what the poster is trying to ask is for the OP to at least include the final price in the title as well, and not just "45% off."

Without also seeing the final price of "$94.99" in the title, it then becomes "45% off from what?"

Because 45% off from Amazon's usual regular pricing of $129.99 that some folks are more familiar with is a big difference from 45% off of Memory Express's regular pricing of $174.99 that some might not be familiar with (final sales price of $71.49 vs. $94.99 respectively).

For some folks, that could be the difference between a "hot" vs. "warm" deal or "visiting the thread" vs. "not visiting the thread."
Apr 1, 2009
669 posts
970 upvotes
Winnipeg
Right yeah, I attempted to edit after seeing the logic but it didn't take in time apparently. Not OP's fault though, it's technically correct within the context of this retailer.
Sojoph wrote: I think what the poster is trying to ask is for the OP to at least include the final price in the title as well, and not just "45% off."

Without also seeing the final price of "$94.99" in the title, it then becomes "45% off from what?"

Because 45% off from Amazon's usual regular pricing of $129.99 that some folks are more familiar with is a big difference from 45% off of Memory Express's regular pricing of $174.99 that some might not be familiar with (final sales price of $71.49 vs. $94.99 respectively).

For some folks, that could be the difference between a "hot" vs. "warm" deal or "visiting the thread" vs. "not visiting the thread."
Apr 1, 2009
669 posts
970 upvotes
Winnipeg
Right yeah, I attempted to edit after seeing the logic but it didn't take in time apparently. Not OP's fault though, it's technically correct within the context of this retailer.
Sojoph wrote: I think what the poster is trying to ask is for the OP to at least include the final price in the title as well, and not just "45% off."