Computers & Electronics

Memory Stick Pro Duo (BEWARE OF FAKES - READ if u plan to buy a mspd)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2008 12:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1534 upvotes
Markham
yup.. i already noticed many at local game stores..
pacific game store
ehe
Jan 1, 2004
142 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the translation, maybe the fake MSPD has red mark like Japanese version, but if the price you see is far lower than the one you saw it on the Sonystyle, I believe it should be fake MSPD.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37187 posts
5178 upvotes
Winnipeg
so what's the usage difference between real and fake? besides some fake get stuck in psp
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10098 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto
I've heard from one of my friends that you can reprogram the memore stick to having more memory then what it really does hold. is that possible?? can you really do that??
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
4713 posts
252 upvotes
Coquitlam
Andyyuen, thanks for all your work.

BTW also the fake cards use thinner PCB's if you compart the part where the gold contacts are, just underneath it is the PCB.

it is slightly thinner than genuine Sony PCB. yes I have compared them side to side.

the pcb in the fake is so thin the contacts dont even touch the pind in the card readers or cell phones.

this has been mentioned, but the packaging is sealed poorly on the outsides, IE fake = 6 round spots to seal . . . . . , SONY = 12 straight slashes - - - - -
or similar.

i got screwed on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] already, but the seller sent me another brand card. for $20 who cares. it worked.

I strongly recommend NOT buying off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] for these items.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
MY EBAY FEEDBACK
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18580 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote:I've heard from one of my friends that you can reprogram the memore stick to having more memory then what it really does hold. is that possible?? can you really do that??
It will recognize it as more than the capcity, but u can't actually use it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37187 posts
5178 upvotes
Winnipeg
CSR wrote:It will recognize it as more than the capcity, but u can't actually use it.
just like the hard drive hack right? useless.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1534 upvotes
Markham
well since you ask me what the usage (durability) would be... i am guessing that u will plan to buy a fake one.. due to price

my advice is .. dont.. they are not durable at all.. when mine came.. it worked completely fine for the first 2 days.. then.. all the text at the back starts to come off.. and the card occasionally doesn' read on the PSP and hangs right in the middle of the movie.. and i had to rub it w/ fingers and putting it in and out MANY times before it works again.. then.. after 2 days.. it just completely died

since u are paying like 90something CDN for the 1gb pro duo.. u might as well pay 30something more dollars for a Sandisk 1gb Ultra II pro duo @ CC.. for sure that is confirmed real, there is life time warranty as well..

right now my card doesn't work.. i sent it back to HK already, and the seller's account is frozen by paypal.. therefore i lost 120CDN.. i already tried msging paypal millions of times, completely ignored, called their longdistance "help" line, no one answered and cost me 10dollars in long distance call.. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] was no help either... so.. i lost that money... if i only paid 20dollars more.. i could have had a working card....

so.. don't risk it...
Nov 23, 2002
575 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
yeah never a good idea to buy fake ones..... [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]ncix[/rfdlink] is selling a 1gb card for $88
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
279 upvotes
marklin wrote:Same here, you can get one shipped from within Canada (to avoid duties) from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink] for under $100 CND.
You can get one shipped for under 100 from ncix.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3525 posts
237 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
andyyuen wrote:well since you ask me what the usage (durability) would be... i am guessing that u will plan to buy a fake one.. due to price

my advice is .. dont.. they are not durable at all.. when mine came.. it worked completely fine for the first 2 days.. then.. all the text at the back starts to come off.. and the card occasionally doesn' read on the PSP and hangs right in the middle of the movie.. and i had to rub it w/ fingers and putting it in and out MANY times before it works again.. then.. after 2 days.. it just completely died

since u are paying like 90something CDN for the 1gb pro duo.. u might as well pay 30something more dollars for a Sandisk 1gb Ultra II pro duo @ CC.. for sure that is confirmed real, there is life time warranty as well..

right now my card doesn't work.. i sent it back to HK already, and the seller's account is frozen by paypal.. therefore i lost 120CDN.. i already tried msging paypal millions of times, completely ignored, called their longdistance "help" line, no one answered and cost me 10dollars in long distance call.. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] was no help either... so.. i lost that money... if i only paid 20dollars more.. i could have had a working card....

so.. don't risk it...

Who did you buy it from?

BTW I'm buying it from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] because I can't find anywhere where they are selling 2GB MSPD cards, if anyone knows I would appreciate it
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1534 upvotes
Markham
Jeff146 wrote:Who did you buy it from?

BTW I'm buying it from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] because I can't find anywhere where they are selling 2GB MSPD cards, if anyone knows I would appreciate it
well.. all the 2gb pro duo on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink](my seller is from HK).. are all from china/hk... there are only about 2 pages of auctions for them right now... i think 99% of them is fake.. trust me.. i want to find them too.. for my PSP.. there is only one place that i know that sells LEGIT 2gb pro duo(not highspeed) it is at pacific mall, a camera store beside the escalator

but it is too steep.. 285CDN +tax..

canada computers, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=147]tiger direct[/rfdlink], [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink], none of them have it.. i went to pacific mall website and called all the computer stores, none have it, none can even get it...

so... ya...i guess u just gotta stick with the 1gb for now and wait another few months
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1534 upvotes
Markham
even if the seller saids he is from UK or Austraila or something..
#1 just look at the package

#2 read the fine print, most of these "UK" seller will say item ships from HK, so basically an alternate account, even canada seller ships from HK... like wtf? doesn't make sense does it?

#3 i have seen many sellers put a sticker on the back of the card to cover the back txt, they say it is a "warranty sticker" but from the above proofs.. u know what they are doing..

i suggest u getting sandisk

here is the benchmark on a PSP, for read and write test
it has all sandisk and sony models

http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~02yuenyu/MSTest.pdf

i find the default mem stick very slow.. so i went to get the ultra II from sandisk... i find it faster...

i didn't do this test, i found it on the web.. so.. props to whoever spend the time doing that
Jan 1, 2004
142 posts
Toronto
If you can buy goods from USA, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] has Sandisk 2GB Ultra II pro duo for sell, the price is $219.99, and 20% off until Wednesday.

Here is the link
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1534 upvotes
Markham
can u post the coupon code plez?

haha i am gonna attempt to call [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=161]DELL.CA[/rfdlink] and see if they have it or will price match it
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
andyyuen wrote:as i see right now on ebay.. 99% of the memorycards.. no matter where it comes from.. Hongkong, china.. UK, USA.. all fake..
Well I just ordered and received a Sandisk from Hong Kong, it's legit.

Besides your own "opinion" do you have any evidence to support your 99% statement? Sounds like fear monguring to me.

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3525 posts
237 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
MMMMMike wrote:Well I just ordered and received a Sandisk from Hong Kong, it's legit.

Besides your own "opinion" do you have any evidence to support your 99% statement? Sounds like fear monguring to me.

Mike
You bought a 2GB one or a 1GB? and which seller did you buy them from?