Automotive

Mercedes Benz , Bmw , or wait for the Tesla model 3?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 10:36 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 21, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes

Mercedes Benz , Bmw , or wait for the Tesla model 3?

Lets get some opinions.

I'm due for a new car, Im leaning towards something thats 60-80k.

Either the bmw 5 series, Mercedes E class, or I am considering waiting for the Model 3... Don't really want to wait a year for a Tesla but people are starting to convince me that it may be worth the wait. Runners up: Mercedes c43 AMG.

Every car as different pro's its such a hard choice. the AMG's sound amazing. the E class and 5 series feel so smooth. and the Tesla just drives amazingly, feels smooth, but not really liking the fact that it doesn't have a proper dash.
Last edited by frenchie0000 on Aug 2nd, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
84 replies
Sep 21, 2004
11173 posts
6311 upvotes
Calgary

One of these cars will age well after 5 years; the other won't. I will let you decide which one.Winking Face
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32073 posts
19287 upvotes
Toronto
C43 is not really AMG. Hence, you will not get that V8 TT sound like in the C63 AMG. Anyway the C class is coming with a facelift next summer and if you can wait, then it is worth a look.

Not sure what you are looking for in those mentioned cars, are you looking for luxury, sportiness, performance, latest trend, etc as your top priority. I guess you will have to do some test drives in order to narrow your choice
[OP]
Banned
Jul 21, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes
they Both will age, as electric cards get cheaper Tesla would be including more luxuries into the model 3. I usually get a new car every 4-5 years anyways. get bored easily..

But as of right now the Benz e class has a much better interior. I like teslas instant torque, but the inside of the cabin just looked to empty. screens amazing though...

Part of me thins buying an electric car would be better when it becomes more mainstream. right now you are paying a premium since its so new, then again Ontario gives you back 14,000$ when you buy a Tesla, I test drove the model X and S. not sure how the model 3 will feel as it doesn't have all wheel drive.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5824 upvotes
Burlington
why don't you lease an E or 5 for a couple years? then decide better when model3 is more readily available?
Mar 27, 2012
334 posts
159 upvotes
The new BMW 5 series is really nice, the interior i think is top notch
[OP]
Banned
Jul 21, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes
I don't know I'm new to red flag deals.

Thats what I'm thinking about. leasing the E class, 5 series or the AMG. but even then its a hard choice each car has its merits.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21199 posts
10696 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
gonna have to shill for Jag a bit.

you ever look at the XF?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Dec 10, 2007
723 posts
559 upvotes
Arviat
Rank in Mid-size Luxury Cars per Car and Driver

1. Mercedes-AMG E43
2. Mercedes-Benz E-class
3. Audi A7
4. Audi A6
5. Cadillac CTS
6. BMW 5-series
7. Jaguar XF
8. Volvo S90
If I argue with a fool, I am the fool.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 21, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: gonna have to shill for Jag a bit.

you ever look at the XF?

the XF is alright, not in my top 5 though.

Top 5 (60-80k) is
Tesla
benz
bmw
audi
Range rover
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Lease the CTS-V or M5.

EDIT: NM, you're aiming at high quality german engineering.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
frenchie0000 wrote: Lets get some opinions.

I'm due for a new car, Im leaning towards something thats 60-80k.

Either the bmw 5 series, Mercedes E class, or I am considering waiting for the Model 3... Don't really want to wait a year for a Tesla but people are starting to convince me that it may be worth the wait. Runners up: Mercedes c43 AMG.

Every car as different pro's its such a hard choice. the AMG's sound amazing. the E class and 5 series feel so smooth. and the Tesla just drives amazingly, feels smooth, but not really liking the fact that it doesn't have a proper dash.
I like the looks of the Tesla 3 but, if I was buying a car to drive, to take on trips to enjoy the twisties, I would certainly not get a Tesla. Even with 300 or so km range (on a nice day and not in Winter), you will need to charge it and that will take a while (remembering that most charging will be done in hotel parking lot 110V plug ins).
To me, electric vehicles are still just city or short range commuter cars.
The C43 AMG is a very nice car. It is an AMG, no matter what others say. 360 hp and tons of AMG bells and whistles make it a great car. Comfortable for all driving conditions.
Choice between M5 and E Class, my vote would go for the M5. If C43 MG is an option, my Son drives one and it is exceptional.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 2nd, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9966 posts
1899 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The model 3 isn't in the same size class as the 5 series and E-class no? Seems like you're not buying this car for any specific practical reasons however so I'd just pick whatever makes you smile most when you get in and drive it, especially if you tend to change at the ~5 year mark. I'd wait out the Model 3 for 2nd get to work out any kinks.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 21, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes
Yeah the model 3 is smaller. But I live alone, rarely have passengers unless its my girlfriend or a friend. so its not a big deal.

if the model 3 feels anything like the model s then thats probably my decision. whether I get it now or lease a car for 3-4 years then get it... now thats the deciding factor. By then there will be such a larger selection of electric cars so ill probably have the same dilemma again.

its hard to get everything I want in a car with a budget of 80k, might just put the 80k down and finance 40 on the Tesla model s.
Dec 10, 2007
723 posts
559 upvotes
Arviat
Tesla is nice but it can't be your only car. At 345 km per charge you are quite limited with where you can go.
Last edited by ellesdad on Aug 2nd, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I argue with a fool, I am the fool.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
uber_shnitz wrote: The model 3 isn't in the same size class as the 5 series and E-class no? Seems like you're not buying this car for any specific practical reasons however so I'd just pick whatever makes you smile most when you get in and drive it, especially if you tend to change at the ~5 year mark. I'd wait out the Model 3 for 2nd get to work out any kinks.
+1
That is really the bottom line. Buy something you are going to like for the long term. Practicality wears off after a month but if you love your drive, you will be happier even stuck in traffic :)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4865 upvotes
Toronto
Lease a MB or BMW now. If you want, lease it for 2-3 years, once the Tesla is ready and stable. Consider getting it as your next one in line.
For now, I wouldn't invest in a Tesla without know how good/reliable it is.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1869 posts
474 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
MP3_SKY wrote: Lease a MB or BMW now. If you want, lease it for 2-3 years, once the Tesla is ready and stable. Consider getting it as your next one in line.
For now, I wouldn't invest in a Tesla without know how good/reliable it is.
Same goes for e class and 5 series they just came out as first model year.

C43 amg with sport exhaust sounds pretty amazing though. Get the coupe
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21199 posts
10696 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
If you rarely have passengers have you considered a coupé?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao