• Apr 22nd, 2021 1:19 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada

Mercedes Benz EQS Thread

First video of interior and driving:

This thing is so ridiculously over the top! Final full reveal April 15.
31 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13100 upvotes

AMG Sound Experience in action.

Not a big fan of the triple screens. I like Byton's single wide screen but didn't like how it's laid out.

But a mix of these 2 designs may look good.
Last edited by Xtrema on Apr 9th, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
I took a quick scroll through the video and it seems like there's a half second or so lag to change between menus. I think that's fast enough to be acceptable to most people. I didn't see anything related to AP/super cruise/ lane trace/whatever.

The colour changing lights may appeal to the younger crowd but I think the people who can afford this car won't care much about it.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rf134a wrote: I took a quick scroll through the video and it seems like there's a half second or so lag to change between menus. I think that's fast enough to be acceptable to most people. I didn't see anything related to AP/super cruise/ lane trace/whatever.

The colour changing lights may appeal to the younger crowd but I think the people who can afford this car won't care much about it.
The electrified luxury sedan will offer a wide range of advanced driver-assistance technology. This will likely include contemporary equipment such as adaptive cruise control and automated emergency braking. It's also expected to offer Level 3 autonomy, which means it is capable of driving itself for long stretches on the highway. For more information about the EQS's crash-test results, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) websites.
https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/eqs

L3 means you’ll actually be able to do other things other than drive (I.e browse your phone etc) when it’s active.

That said, the Audi A8 was supposed to be the first (consumer) L3 vehicle on the roads a couple of years ago. Unfortunately legislation still hasn’t caught up to allow it.
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
Have fun looking at those glossy screens when the sun shines onto them.

At least they put the sunshade back onto instrument cluster, but what about the rest of the screens?
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13100 upvotes
rf134a wrote: I took a quick scroll through the video and it seems like there's a half second or so lag to change between menus. I think that's fast enough to be acceptable to most people. I didn't see anything related to AP/super cruise/ lane trace/whatever.

Drive Pilot which debut on the S class already should make it here. It's level 3.

As for the lag, they definitely cheap out on the passenger side unit.

As for mood lights, it's hard to find a European car at any price range without it now.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Andy34 wrote:
That said, the Audi A8 was supposed to be the first (consumer) L3 vehicle on the roads a couple of years ago. Unfortunately legislation still hasn’t caught up to allow it.
Wow, literally no one else I know knows this fact. You clearly know your car, sir/madam! Well done!!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13100 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Have fun looking at those glossy screens when the sun shines onto them.

At least they put the sunshade back onto instrument cluster, but what about the rest of the screens?
I thought glare is the best thing ever?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Andy34 wrote: https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/eqs

L3 means you’ll actually be able to do other things other than drive (I.e browse your phone etc) when it’s active.

This video is supposed to be a first drive with POV and to show off the features of the car. Self-driving is essentially a requirement now in EVs, so they spent 0 seconds showing any kind of ADAS. I would think that this would show that MB has caught up to Tesla and Cadillac in the self-drive category.
Xtrema wrote: Drive Pilot which debut on the S class already should make it here. It's level 3.

As for the lag, they definitely cheap out on the passenger side unit.

As for mood lights, it's hard to find a European car at any price range without it now.
If only MB read the JD Power surveys... touch lag isn't actually a defect but it's what pulls down so many make's reliability score. Someone didn't do their homework.

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at clouds. I like my cabin pitch black, not glowing like a disco.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Here is a great vid showing light interior

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13100 upvotes
rf134a wrote: Here's another video that shows the 4 wheel steering. It looks rather neat, just hope it's reliable since that seems to be a weak spot with 4WS.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/11/2237 ... s-hands-on
4WS is nothing new, again already debut on the S class. S class is never about reliability.
Blubbs wrote: Here is a great vid showing light interior

Same car as in the Verge as they pass around between press in NY. MKBHD does focus more on tech now I can't unsee the Windows media center interface of MBUX. :D

It's going to be interesting as old people that can afford an S class will probably stick with S class. Tech savy people who can afford an EV probably will hate that UI. But as luxury packaging goes, nobody can match this.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3260 posts
4518 upvotes
Toronto
Who cares, S class is a halo car for M/B.
I doubt they make money on it, with sales of 20,000/year.
Even Musk already said, S and X is the sentiment car for Tesla, they barely make money on it.
Cd of 0.20 is remarkable, but all this gadgetry wont help you at the broken CCS charging station.
Taycan owners can confirm that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Xtrema wrote: 4WS is nothing new, again already debut on the S class. S class is never about reliability.
Many of the "new" tech is just a rehash of old tech. Cylinder deactivation actually works due to new materials and the computing power to actually figure out where the cylinder is. 4WS was in the Prelude Type SH 20 years ago and in other cars before that. Even the notched Kammback design is from the 20s and 30s.

The "good" thing about the brutal S-class depreciation is that there's much less to go wrong mechanically. I'd hate to see the replacement costs for the screen and other electrical components. Face Screaming In Fear
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13100 upvotes
rf134a wrote: The "good" thing about the brutal S-class depreciation is that there's much less to go wrong mechanically. I'd hate to see the replacement costs for the screen and other electrical components. Face Screaming In Fear
That 1 piece glass with 2 touch screens can't be cheap to replace if something goes wrong.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
ES_Revenge wrote: That screen cap for the video makes it look like the interior is a strip club on wheels, lol. I guess with all those screens you could put on some pr0n and make it a reality :lol:
14.99$/month subscription not included.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
xrvr wrote: Cd of 0.20 is remarkable, but all this gadgetry wont help you at the broken CCS charging station.
Taycan owners can confirm that.
Rivian understands how broken the CCS network is, which is why they're building their own Rivian EXCLUSIVE network for their own vehicles.

I figure the people who buy CCS vehicles aren't going to be public charging anyways. I gave up taking our CCS vehicle on road trips because you just can't count on the chargers actually working.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1917 posts
2393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Where have I seen this before ?

That's right... 1996 Ford Taurus (a model which my wife owned sadly)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
SmartElectric wrote: Where have I seen this before ?

That's right... 1996 Ford Taurus (a model which my wife owned sadly)
The only things remotely related in those two pics is the tires.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)