• Jan 6th, 2018 7:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2027 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto

Mercedes Benz GL350 alignment in Quebec city

Does anyone know a shop in Quebec city that can complete alignment on GL350? None of the shops near Beaupre/Baie-St-Paul can do it as they can not find specs for their machines to align GL350. I can't drive back to Toronto as the vehicle pulls hard to the right and needs an alignment.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11566 posts
3825 upvotes
Toronto
I bet go to a MB dealership?
Not the cheapest place to go, but at least it should able to solve your problem and drive back to Tor.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12253 posts
1991 upvotes
GTA
koleso wrote: Does anyone know a shop in Quebec city that can complete alignment on GL350? None of the shops near Beaupre/Baie-St-Paul can do it as they can not find specs for their machines to align GL350. I can't drive back to Toronto as the vehicle pulls hard to the right and needs an alignment.
DIY roadside alignment?????????????? grab a wrench and loosen adjusting nut and turn inner tie rod..............
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12253 posts
1991 upvotes
GTA
But wait. The car was driven from Toronto to Quebec city with bad alignment?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13130 posts
1965 upvotes
Toronto
Probably something bent. Did you hop a curb? It’s not supposed to pull that hard.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2027 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Hit a curb on black ice and landed in a ditch. Air suspension died and car was shaking vigorously. Made it to the local Chrysler shop and had compressor hose replaced(Grand Cherokee part fitted) and had ton of ice removed. Then drove it to Quebec to get an alignment done. MB was booker for full upcoming week.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13130 posts
1965 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: Hit a curb on black ice and landed in a ditch. Air suspension died and car was shaking vigorously. Made it to the local Chrysler shop and had compressor hose replaced(Grand Cherokee part fitted) and had ton of ice removed. Then drove it to Quebec to get an alignment done. MB was booker for full upcoming week.
Oh man.. that’s some damage. Glad it’s all fixed now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2027 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
You will be surprised. A very nice Quebecois offered his CAA card in the middle of the night to get the vehicle out of the ditch. I couldn't refuse so that cost me a $40 for a nice bottle of wine next day. Chrysler shop + the alignment shop cost me $400 in total. No other damage. I got off easy as I was certain i damaged air suspension compressor.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13130 posts
1965 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: You will be surprised. A very nice Quebecois offered his CAA card in the middle of the night to get the vehicle out of the ditch. I couldn't refuse so that cost me a $40 for a nice bottle of wine next day. Chrysler shop + the alignment shop cost me $400 in total. No other damage. I got off easy as I was certain i damaged air suspension compressor.
Not bad at all! You got off lucky. How are you liking your GL? I’d like get a larger vehicle for road trips and winter activities. My GLK is on the smaller side.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2027 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote: Not bad at all! You got off lucky. How are you liking your GL? I’d like get a larger vehicle for road trips and winter activities. My GLK is on the smaller side.
Mixed feelings. I had a Grand Cherokee before(technically I still do but it's parked in Europe) and it is a big upgrade. The looks, the quality of materials, the craftsmanship and attention to details is just astonishing. Quality - that's a different story. Love the way diesel works and sounds, the looks of interior and exterior but i'm starting to hate the brand. as I discovered a number of issues with the vehicle and MB shop is just refusing to acknowledge them. Here is my rant thread about MB: reputable-mechanics-mercedes-benz-aroun ... #p28341822
But I am not surprised because this is an American vehicle, built by Americans for Americans and Canadians. The orders in EU are filled from USA. I was in Germany few weeks back and i couldn't spot a single GL around Frankfurt.

I was at a point where I was ready to go to the Volvo dealership and get a EU delivery(I often travel to EU for work) for XC90 but my wife really loves the GL and talked me into giving it some time to make it up for itself.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1071 posts
492 upvotes
Torontario
koleso wrote: Mixed feelings. I had a Grand Cherokee before(technically I still do but it's parked in Europe) and it is a big upgrade. The looks, the quality of materials, the craftsmanship and attention to details is just astonishing. Quality - that's a different story. Love the way diesel works and sounds, the looks of interior and exterior but i'm starting to hate the brand. as I discovered a number of issues with the vehicle and MB shop is just refusing to acknowledge them. Here is my rant thread about MB: reputable-mechanics-mercedes-benz-aroun ... #p28341822
But I am not surprised because this is an American vehicle, built by Americans for Americans and Canadians. The orders in EU are filled from USA. I was in Germany few weeks back and i couldn't spot a single GL around Frankfurt.

I was at a point where I was ready to go to the Volvo dealership and get a EU delivery(I often travel to EU for work) for XC90 but my wife really loves the GL and talked me into giving it some time to make it up for itself.
What happened with the import tax to Poland? Grand Cherokee has quite a bit ML parts depending on the year - so that's the direct comparison but the interior design is questionable.

As for GL, similar to X5, is a vehicle designed with primary market of US. For me it's a large barge with a soft engine and myself I can't get around the myriad of button on the MB dash.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2027 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
ohnabatko wrote: What happened with the import tax to Poland? Grand Cherokee has quite a bit ML parts depending on the year - so that's the direct comparison but the interior design is questionable.

As for GL, similar to X5, is a vehicle designed with primary market of US. For me it's a large barge with a soft engine and myself I can't get around the myriad of button on the MB dash.
Nightmare. Freight forwarder here provided a lot of false information in regards to the import processes in Poland and we got into an ugly mess with stubborn Polish border agents. Basically we had to reclassify the freight/car to a vehicle in transit rather than personal tax exempt belongings. 3 month after that the tranny blew with only 130k km on it. Turns out it had a crappy US 65RFE tranny rather than the ML one.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12253 posts
1991 upvotes
GTA
op learned big heavy 4wd suv not invincible in winter/ice LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1071 posts
492 upvotes
Torontario
koleso wrote: Nightmare. Freight forwarder here provided a lot of false information in regards to the import processes in Poland and we got into an ugly mess with stubborn Polish border agents. Basically we had to reclassify the freight/car to a vehicle in transit rather than personal tax exempt belongings. 3 month after that the tranny blew with only 130k km on it. Turns out it had a crappy US 65RFE tranny rather than the ML one.
Sorry to hear that - I may flip you a message if/once I get to the same path...