• Oct 7th, 2008 9:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
2 upvotes

[Merged] 2008 Beijing Olympics

I'm psyched. Politics, intrigue, scandals, an emerging world power - these Olympics will be an unprecedented spectacle to behold. China's really going all out. :)
2026 replies
Apr 22, 2007
804 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I'll be getting up 7am tomorrow to watch it live! Looking forward to it but at a cost to what?

IMO, the IOC really screwed this one up royaly by giving the olympics to a communist country. I mean, had they not thought about the consequences, hundreds of thousands of people's dwellings got expropriated, countless injured or maybe died during construction due to safety, and many more because of protests. Is it just me, but communist countries are not ready for stuff like this, eventhough it'll be the best opening ceremonies to date. They can do whatever they want because nobody has say about anything. just my opinion.

In terms of preparing and setting up the olympics, they did it the communist way... It's unfortunate...
[OP]
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
2 upvotes
I'm predicting China will beat the US in medal count this year.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4026 posts
288 upvotes
So it starts at 7am tomorrow? I will get my pvr ready to go. putting aside politics. China spent billions and I think it will look amazing.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Apr 22, 2007
804 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
CBC will start broadcasting at 7am, live... I figure it really starts at 8am but I'll get up at 7 anyway.. forunately, i don't start work late.

Nothing better than watching it live. Not going to wait for the evening to watch recording.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2124 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
They talk about it and hype it up for a whole hour before it begins. Everyone does this, I remember the Tour De France did this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5584 posts
73 upvotes
Will sleep extra early tonight to watch it live tomorrow morning :)
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14440 posts
3469 upvotes
I told my boss I will go to work later around 11am...reason is I wanna the opening caremorny :cheesygri
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Oct 29, 2004
42 posts
Mace wrote: I'm predicting China will beat the US in medal count this year.
+1

And former IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch has said that he believes that the Beijing games will be "the best in Olympic history".
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9973 posts
1849 upvotes
Toronto
johnboy wrote: I'll be getting up 7am tomorrow to watch it live! Looking forward to it but at a cost to what?

IMO, the IOC really screwed this one up royaly by giving the olympics to a communist country. I mean, had they not thought about the consequences, hundreds of thousands of people's dwellings got expropriated, countless injured or maybe died during construction due to safety, and many more because of protests. Is it just me, but communist countries are not ready for stuff like this, eventhough it'll be the best opening ceremonies to date. They can do whatever they want because nobody has say about anything. just my opinion.

In terms of preparing and setting up the olympics, they did it the communist way... It's unfortunate...
+100% agree

Even if you ignore all that, think of the smog and air pollution of the atheletes? They train for years on end, only to inhale dangerous levels of particulates in the China air. They may as well have smoked during their training or something.
Mar 13, 2008
117 posts
Toronto
Just don't understand what in their brains, like kurtblak above me... if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH. You have the freedom of not watching it while we have the freedom to celebrate. What's the point of ruining other's feeling? Will you do something disgusting like booing in someone's birthday party? Is it how you brought up? Jesus Christ.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9973 posts
1849 upvotes
Toronto
Lauzy wrote: +1

And former IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch has said that he believes that the Beijing games will be "the best in Olympic history".
Because if any China citizen doesn't make it the best, they will be jailed and/or executed.

They have been holding classes to teach ppl what to say, how to cheer, how to greet, what not to do, etc. If you don't comply, jail.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1875 posts
10 upvotes
kerorogunso wrote: I can only say, by this picture, people love to get involved into things that they don't even familiar with.

People have the right to express their opinions, but first, could you tell me how many Chinese historical documents (not the ones in English, but from the old China) they have and you've read, before you lay a word on Tibet issue?
+1

look, Kurtblak doesnt need to know chinese, he doesnt need to goto china, he doesnt need to learn both sides of opinions, as long as he has his own brain, he is the most qualified expert of China on the planet, and block EVERYTHING that people are trying to tell him. talk about an authoritarian mind with no freedoms...

you can tell him there is a "communist government" on the moon, and he'll start trashing every astronomy thread that comes up!!!
Apr 22, 2007
804 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
rfdrfd wrote: +100% agree

Even if you ignore all that, think of the smog and air pollution of the atheletes? They train for years on end, only to inhale dangerous levels of particulates in the China air. They may as well have smoked during their training or something.
Even with my dislike to this... I'll still watch it. Nonetheless, was shocked when IOC gave China the olympics for obvious reasons. At least they'll put up a better show compared to Toronto. Much better show.

That said, it's a love hate relationship. IOC will think twice now. Lesson learned the hard way. Beijing athletes will have the upper hand. They are used to the pollution. Plus, China will want to win as many medals as they can this time around. More children subjected to stresses more so than any other country for that matter. I guess the IOC forgot about that one too.

Another thing... This is a BIG thing. Nobody should really blame China.. Blame the IOC. They gave them the olympics.
Mar 13, 2008
117 posts
Toronto
Bzji wrote: Yea, as long as everyone conforms to your idealogy...everything is A-OK...that sounds a little like dictatorial itself. Are you sure you're not a commie?
Exactly. People always think they ARE the standard. This is 100% dictatorship.

Oh I am tired about this political things... I just know I am going to check it out for sure.
Mar 13, 2008
117 posts
Toronto
johnboy wrote: Even with my dislike to this... I'll still watch it. Nonetheless, was shocked when IOC gave China the olympics for obvious reasons. At least they'll put up a better show compared to Toronto. Much better show.
I hope it's a better show. I am praying that some director is not putting anything stupid to the opening ceremony...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
7123 posts
1326 upvotes
anyone know where to watch the opening ceremonies online ? links please.
Apr 26, 2007
663 posts
mingming wrote: look, Kurtblak doesnt need to know chinese, he doesnt need to goto china, he doesnt need to learn both sides of opinions, as long as he has his own brain, he is the most qualified expert of China on the planet, and block EVERYTHING that people are trying to tell him. talk about an authoritarian mind with no freedoms...

you can tell him there is a "communist government" on the moon, and he'll start trashing every astronomy thread that comes up!!!
And I don't need to travel to Mars to find out there is no oxygen there.

But you may have to hold your breath a very long time until the CCP decides to let you live a free life.

Bzji wrote: wow..i totally missed this part...ahaha..I will stop arguing with you. Clearly you never even finished middle school. Olympics is now a western invention....wow..I'm amazed.
yeah, you should have taken history. Apparently along with democracy the greeks invented the olympiad...funny how the chinese in the PRC seem to be missing those history lessons - coincidence? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Olympic_Games
History

The Games first started in Olympia, Greece, in a sanctuary site for the Greek gods near the towns of Elis and Pisa (both in Elis on the peninsula of Peloponnesos). The Sanctuary of Zeus in Olympia housed a 12 metre high statue in ivory and gold of Zeus, the father of the Greek gods, sculpted by Phidias. This statue was one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World.