Investing

[Merged] Another bloody red day on the TSX

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2022 10:39 am
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2395 posts
1192 upvotes
OMV wrote: I don't think it's that stupid, actually. The market is highly dependent on mass psychology, and a third big drop in a row could scare people into selling. A few bad days in succession definitely get people talking. Once everyone feels that the market is heading down, it heads down...
Well see, that's my point. What if there's a relief rally tomorrow and then the heavy selling starts again on Monday? Tomorrow people are going to say that Monday is a critical day to see if the rally holds. If the markets go down on Monday, then someone like you will say Tuesday is a critical day to see whether or not the sell-off will continue, or if we will bounce off the lows. And it goes on and on and on...
Sep 26, 2006
634 posts
41 upvotes
Rocky Mountains
put adequate protection in place and ride this one out
Reality Check
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
1014 posts
1 upvote
AB
B0000rt wrote: Short short short!
That's what HXD is for... as a hedge..profit when the tsx sells off. It was up over 3% today.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1151 posts
217 upvotes
krazy wrote: +1...

Tomorrow the TSX is sure to shoot up
you are so sure of your prediction.. Use your LOC and buy Canadian equities if you are "sure" to shoot up.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I basically sold off all my assets yesterday because the 7 year bull cycle has ended. You guys can keep buying stocks especially if it keeps correcting. lol

I'm up 19% for the year in my portfolio so I want to soladefy my gains.
[QUOTE]there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's a really stupid question - me[/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9638 posts
883 upvotes
Muskoka
flito ray wrote: I basically sold off all my assets yesterday because the 7 year bull cycle has ended. You guys can keep buying stocks especially if it keeps correcting. lol

Flito returns! :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3412 posts
176 upvotes
Bullseye wrote: Flito returns! :lol:
Glad to hear Primerica is still in business.... :lol:
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Jul 20, 2007
801 posts
4 upvotes
flito ray wrote:because the 7 year bull cycle has ended
Where did you get that info? So how long is the coming bear cycle gonna last?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
1712 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
flito ray wrote: I basically sold off all my assets yesterday because the 7 year bull cycle has ended. You guys can keep buying stocks especially if it keeps correcting. lol

My god. After disappearing for a few months, you return with another hilarious post. What in the world are you smoking? The sad thing is that you are 100% serious. :lol:

Sold off your assets? I am surprised you even have anything left.
Apr 11, 2007
286 posts
Matrix_dot_ca wrote: you are so sure of your prediction.. Use your LOC and buy Canadian equities if you are "sure" to shoot up.
Actually, I did load up on gold and canadian equities... with some more to spare, just in case it goes down again today.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
27 upvotes
krazy wrote: Actually, I did load up on gold and canadian equities... with some more to spare, just in case it goes down again today.
So you loaded up on gold and Canadian equities, because you know the TSX is sure to shoot up.

Except you didn't load up, because you kept some money out of play just in case it goes down today, even though you are sure it's going up. :confused:

You really might want to reconsider your statement that you'll never again take advice from a financial advisor. Trying to swing trade using mutual funds is just silly.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25140 posts
2316 upvotes
Markham, ON
more ugliness at noon...hopefully we'll see a bounce this afternoon when ppl cover.
Sep 26, 2006
634 posts
41 upvotes
Rocky Mountains
krazy wrote: Actually, I did load up on gold and canadian equities... with some more to spare, just in case it goes down again today.
you loaded up on LLL didn't you?
Reality Check
Apr 11, 2007
286 posts
bluedcfive wrote: you loaded up on LLL didn't you?
Yeah.... :mad: Was thinking of buying more today... but things seem to be turning around (was down 100 now it's down less than 20)... will wait till 2:30 before I make a move
Apr 11, 2007
286 posts
asdfvcx wrote: So you loaded up on gold and Canadian equities, because you know the TSX is sure to shoot up.

Except you didn't load up, because you kept some money out of play just in case it goes down today, even though you are sure it's going up. :confused:

You really might want to reconsider your statement that you'll never again take advice from a financial advisor. Trying to swing trade using mutual funds is just silly.
I bought canadian equities and kept some more cash to spare (expecting a rough ride like today)... I don't see why that is wrong...

Regarding seeking advise from a financial advisor, I don't think so.. Don't mean to offend any financial advisor on this forum, but from the 3 financial advisors I have had, none have been helpful (my funds stayed flat, even when I asked for aggressive and high risk fund).

Come to think of it, swinging trade using mutual funds is actually silly (and stupid, and somebody has pointed out giving a link too)... but somehow, for me this had worked out pretty fine...

I have had pretty good gains and I do know there will be a time when I could get burned too... but that's the way it is... no pain no gain.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)