[Merged] Apple's iPad: January 27th, 2010 Announcement! Starts at $499US

[OP]
Oct 7, 2009
575 posts

[Merged] Apple's iPad: January 27th, 2010 Announcement! Starts at $499US

Edited to include official Apple invitation to next week's tablet announcement:

It's official!

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com ... 01/top.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Yes folks -- the rumors are true. Apple is holding an event on January 27th to show off something the company is calling their "latest creation." Hair standing on end? Good. The proceedings will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco, and will get underway at 10AM Pacific. We'll be there live -- as usual -- covering every little second of the action... so get ready!

Update: We're not ones for wild speculation, but the inclusion of splatter paint and the use of the word "creation" could suggest that if we do see the long-rumored Tablet at this event, the focus could be slanted towards art, music, and movie-making. Maybe we'll finally figure out what the point of an Apple tablet is! On the other hand, that might just be a bit of wild speculation. Feel free to generate your own kooky concepts in comments -- we promise not to judge you.

If you'd like to read (or re-read) a slew of Apple Tablet rumor coverage, click here.[/QUOTE]

(Via Engadget)

________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it's true - - the Apple tablet has been rumoured to be arriving practically since the death of the Newton back in the 90's. But with the recent success of the iPhone and the App Store, not to mention the eager market amongst magazine and newspaper publishers for a new medium for their dying physical media empires, it appears that Apple is finally ready to make the jump to tabletspace.

Here's an overview of the recent spate of rumours to get yourself up to speed.

Of course, there's no end of skeptics who say they can't imagine why anyone would ever need a tablet computer and point to the string of commercial failures except for very industry specific applications. The difference here is that Steve Jobs is throwing Apple's full design expertise at the problem, so I'm sure we expect an ergonomic and usability marvel. Personally, I would love a scaled up iPhone, which is already my sci-fi dream from childhood come true - - my pocket computer. I look forward to playing some of the great game apps (Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor, anyone?!), surfing the internet, and watching video on a much bigger touch screen.

Currently, it appears that Apple will be announcing the iSlate on January 27th, 2010 with an actual product launch in March or later (similar to their iPhone launch).

[IMG]http://cache0.techcrunch.com/wp-content ... ontest.jpg[/IMG]

I'll see you in the line-up at the Apple Store in the Spring!
1006 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2109 posts
249 upvotes
Is the right side a Mac book or IPhone :confused:

the screen is huge.. :-0
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Jan 5, 2007
57 posts
Not quite pocket sized :o

This thing is still going to sell like crazy.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20619 posts
6066 upvotes
GTA
Hopefully it'll look more rigid than it is rendered, while thin is nice, an expensive broken toy, well, that'll suck.

Perhaps it'll be in the form function of a tablet notebook, with two pieces, one with the screen and the other just functioning as a 'case' to support the lid(so it can rotate and be moved to behind the screen) when in use, and then rotated back to cover the screen when its not.
Dec 11, 2008
323 posts
2 upvotes
Is that a camera on the left side? Why wouldn't it be on the top (I realize that's the top when in portrait orientation, but as a tablet I'd assume most people would use it landscape)?

Apple is probably in a rush to get this out now that Windows 7 has been released and has full multi-touch support.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5030 posts
1709 upvotes
I have a feeling this will just be an oversized iPhone w/ 3G internet and voice.

If I'm right, then IMO this will bomb
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
I like Apple products but I'm sure this is going to be at least $1,000, Atom based machine. Why so expensive? Touchscreen + SSD + Apple's pricing policy. It will still be a knockout product though.
Dec 11, 2008
323 posts
2 upvotes
RCGA wrote: I have a feeling this will just be an oversized iPhone w/ 3G internet and voice.

If I'm right, then IMO this will bomb
There are enough Apple fanatics that will buy anything with an Apple logo to make it a success.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5030 posts
1709 upvotes
Syyn wrote: There are enough Apple fanatics that will buy anything with an Apple logo to make it a success.
I disagree.

Take a look at the MBA...no one is buying these. I love the concept, but you have to give up too much when you consider you can get a MBP for less and get much much more power.
Let's hug it out
Dec 11, 2008
323 posts
2 upvotes
RCGA wrote: I disagree.

Take a look at the MBA...no one is buying these. I love the concept, but you have to give up too much when you consider you can get a MBP for less and get much much more power.
True, but I don't think the MBA is a dead product yet. It may not be a best seller, but I'm sure the margins are high enough to make it worthwhile for Apple.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
Syyn wrote: There are enough Apple fanatics that will buy anything with an Apple logo to make it a success.
Like the Apple III? Apple IIGS? Lisa? Newton? Pippin? puck mouse? Mighty Mouse? AppleTV? Apple has a long history of failures.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5030 posts
1709 upvotes
Syyn wrote: True, but I don't think the MBA is a dead product yet. It may not be a best seller, but I'm sure the margins are high enough to make it worthwhile for Apple.
I say they're making money off it (@ $1500+, how could they not?), but I believe Apple is disappointed that it didn't really catch on. The MBP is already thin enough for the most part, plus it doesn't overhead like a mofo, you can add RAM and it's like $500 less.

I have a feeling this iSlate will be the same. It's overhyped and I think people's expectations are too high. Everything the iSlate will be able to do, a laptop will be able to do 100x better.

A jumbo iPhone for $800-$1000, meh.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47371 posts
7948 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gflux wrote: Like the Apple III? Apple IIGS? Lisa? Newton? Pippin? puck mouse? Mighty Mouse? AppleTV? Apple has a long history of failures.
How are these failures?

I don't think they have more or less been successful in their products since the iPod era.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47371 posts
7948 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RCGA wrote: I say they're making money off it (@ $1500+, how could they not?), but I believe Apple is disappointed that it didn't really catch on. The MBP is already thin enough for the most part, plus it doesn't overhead like a mofo, you can add RAM and it's like $500 less.

I have a feeling this iSlate will be the same. It's overhyped and I think people's expectations are too high. Everything the iSlate will be able to do, a laptop will be able to do 100x better.

A jumbo iPhone for $800-$1000, meh.
For THAT price, definitely meh. I'm hoping more in line of $500-600, which is about 15~20% more than what the Asus T91 costs. I assume the iSlate will also be 9", so it should be a fair comparison. I think it should be doable considering the iTouch runs from $199-399, so this pricing also does not interfere with iTouch sales. Of course, at this price, there probably won't be 3G, only wifi :lol:
[OP]
Oct 7, 2009
575 posts
Jon Lai wrote: For THAT price, definitely meh. I'm hoping more in line of $500-600, which is about 15~20% more than what the Asus T91 costs. I assume the iSlate will also be 9", so it should be a fair comparison. I think it should be doable considering the iTouch runs from $199-399, so this pricing also does not interfere with iTouch sales. Of course, at this price, there probably won't be 3G, only wifi :lol:
Let's pray! That'll at least keep Rogers/Bells claws out of it. I would prefer not to have a mandatory cellphone contract on the iSlate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5030 posts
1709 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: For THAT price, definitely meh. I'm hoping more in line of $500-600, which is about 15~20% more than what the Asus T91 costs. I assume the iSlate will also be 9", so it should be a fair comparison. I think it should be doable considering the iTouch runs from $199-399, so this pricing also does not interfere with iTouch sales. Of course, at this price, there probably won't be 3G, only wifi :lol:
I don't see how they could change anything less than $800 considering the iPhone is going for ~$800.

If they don't give it voice and/or 3G (a jumbo iTouch), then what's the point? It's basically an extremely limited laptop with a touch keyboard and 1/4 of the power.
Let's hug it out