Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
trellaine201 wrote: Isn’t anyone sad? Have feelings for others? I am. I feel really bad for the public, Canadapost and us workers.

It’s really leading to a non existent or privatized business in the near future imo.

I feel bad for the people with under 10-15 years. No future in the post office imo.

All parties continue to ruin it . So much time and money wasted.

Why can’t they sign off on what they have agreed on and leave whatever Heath and safety issues the union has to later or an arbitrator. Since the bundle method has been proposed to do this .

Real idiots on both sides.
There is no "why can't they". The company has made this offer to have an arbitrator settle the differences. The union will not accept. As explained above in several different post above, the union finally has a non conservative govt, and they have been @#@4#@$ over by arbitrators time and time again. They don't want to leave anything to chance. Not ..a ...single.....thing. Legislation is all that is left. Liberals have to choose between pissing off a very large union and their membership or pissing off the general public. I am pretty sure which they will have to choose. It is just a matter of WHEN.
Last edited by timetotellthetruth on Nov 19th, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/labour-mi ... -1.4182706

here is the diddy from the labour minister below. Sorry top one is story from Union view...
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/labour-mi ... -1.4182706
Last edited by timetotellthetruth on Nov 19th, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: There is no "why can't they". The company has made this offer to have and arbitrator settle the differences. The union will not accept. As explained above in several different post above, the union finally has a non conservative govt, and they have been @#@4#@$ over by arbitrators time and time again. They don't want to leave anything to chance. Not ..a ...single.....thing. Legislation is all that is left. Liberals have to choose between pissing off a very large union and there membership or pissing off the general public. I am pretty sure which they will have to choose. It is just a matter of WHEN.
Liberals can piss off some cupw supporters- but no where near the 93% strike vote numbers support this union. Liberals have received many letters from members disgusted with this union.

The company had already backed off on the binding arbitration so if the union rejects the cooling off period then they just don’t want a negotiated contract obviously. They want the government to bail them out so they can assign blame to the liberals.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver
What a mess. Complete sadness. I’m beginning to be lost for words to the surprise of some on here. :(

Maybe they should fire everyone involved! Union and Canada post negotiators.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
trellaine201 wrote: What a mess. Complete sadness. I’m beginning to be lost for words to the surprise of some on here. :(

Maybe they should fire everyone involved! Union and Canada post negotiators.
This is definitely hard on us. If you find this all to be too depressing, where it is affecting your health, my advice is to stay away from this site and any online means of seeing this process take place. Just focus on the fact the you are still going to work (most days), and still getting paid, and that is all that really matters. Put your head down, focus on getting the mail out and be proud of another successful work day!!! And don't forget, you are not in this alone, we are all suffering with you....
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I actually took a few days away from everything on the weekend. It was quite therepeutic. But back at work and more and more stuff in the news.
Oct 24, 2018
20 posts
19 upvotes
9AB839AA-C9DB-4CE9-9019-7CA7B4B10427.jpeg
Yes Virginia there is a 30km walk! ... on paper anyway.
In column 6a on route LC0047 is 178.29 minutes. That’s the length of my walk if I didn’t do any POC according to my header. At 3 mph or around 5km per hour walking that translates into around 15 km. I measured on google maps to make sure and it was about 15 km. In column 5 it has 110.67 minutes or 53.20 percent of coverage of column 4, the time it would take if I do every door at 100% coverage. So a little under 2 hours to walk to 53.20% of my doors or about 9km. That’s 24km but with one third flyers your looking at 100% + 53.20%+53.20% / 3 = 68.8% coverage or 207.91@ 68.8%=138.8 minutes or 12km. Now I’m “walking” 27 km. Full coverage it’s 32 km!
Why did I pick such a crummy 6.5 hours of walking,on a heavy day, route you may ask or why am I not dead yet? That’s because I love the view of the Saint Laurent river I have. Oh yeah, I have never walked more than 16 km even on Election Card day.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
trellaine201 wrote: Thanks. I actually took a few days away from everything on the weekend. It was quite therepeutic. But back at work and more and more stuff in the news.
Lucky where I work, everyone hustles in the morning to get there routes up and get out of the depot before anyone comes by with any union propaganda.

The job is still good, once you escape the depot misery.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
leyland1989 wrote: https://infopost.ca/cupw-urban/canada-p ... -proposal/

I don't see how it is better, hahaha.
After the holidays, they can lock us out all they want. And we will be crying for a contract for much less.
Dear Jessica,

I almost can't believe the upper management is this @#@$#@. Took out binding arbitration? Ok. Great. What don't you understand about that we are tired of you kicking the can down the road and never dealing with the issues that are staring you in the face. We know, and you know, just when and why the injury rates took off. It is bloody ridiculous already. Why don't you want to fix the @#$@#$ issues? You have been ignoring this for a YEAR (just in negotiations). We don't need another committee to discover the issues. Just more kicking the can. WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE ISSUES ARE. SOLVE IT. MONEY DOES NOT COME FIRST OVER THE HEALTH OF YOUR #@$$@ EMPLOYEES!!!!!!! You want to bribe us with a $1000 (less tax), to take away all of our bargaining position? Do you actually believe this is going to work? I am not ever that pro (this) union, and I can tell you the answer....

Let me ask you something. When you were the president of BC Hydro, if your company discovered an issue that was injuring a bunch of your workers, what did you do? Do you send it to a committee to talk about whether or not that sparking electrical cable in the hallway was a hazard (made up scenario), or did you just do what needed to do done to fix the issue? What the heck is it about going to Canada Post management ,makes people lose all sense of right and wrong?

I am going to lose my mind !!!!!! WAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOO BAAAAAAA ZOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Mailmanwill wrote: 9AB839AA-C9DB-4CE9-9019-7CA7B4B10427.jpegYes Virginia there is a 30km walk! ... on paper anyway.
In column 6a on route LC0047 is 178.29 minutes. That’s the length of my walk if I didn’t do any POC according to my header. At 3 mph or around 5km per hour walking that translates into around 15 km. I measured on google maps to make sure and it was about 15 km. In column 5 it has 110.67 minutes or 53.20 percent of coverage of column 4, the time it would take if I do every door at 100% coverage. So a little under 2 hours to walk to 53.20% of my doors or about 9km. That’s 24km but with one third flyers your looking at 100% + 53.20%+53.20% / 3 = 68.8% coverage or 207.91@ 68.8%=138.8 minutes or 12km. Now I’m “walking” 27 km. Full coverage it’s 32 km!
Why did I pick such a crummy 6.5 hours of walking,on a heavy day, route you may ask or why am I not dead yet? That’s because I love the view of the Saint Laurent river I have. Oh yeah, I have never walked more than 16 km even on Election Card day.
My only advice for you is....if you are going to post on here where your walk is, and therefore who you are......be VERY careful in what you say..... End of message....
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: Dear Jessica,

I almost can't believe the upper management is this @#@$#@. Took out binding arbitration? Ok. Great. What don't you understand about that we are tired of you kicking the can down the road and never dealing with the issues that are staring you in the face. We know, and you know, just when and why the injury rates took off. It is bloody ridiculous already. Why don't you want to fix the @#$@#$ issues? You have been ignoring this for a YEAR (just in negotiations). We don't need another committee to discover the issues. Just more kicking the can. WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE ISSUES ARE. SOLVE IT. MONEY DOES NOT COME FIRST OVER THE HEALTH OF YOUR #@$$@ EMPLOYEES!!!!!!! You want to bribe us with a $1000 (less tax), to take away all of our bargaining position? Do you actually believe this is going to work? I am not ever that pro (this) union, and I can tell you the answer....

Let me ask you something. When you were the president of BC Hydro, if your company discovered an issue that was injuring a bunch of your workers, what did you do? Do you send it to a committee to talk about whether or not that sparking electrical cable in the hallway was a hazard (made up scenario), or did you just do what needed to do done to fix the issue? What the heck is it about going to Canada Post management ,makes people lose all sense of right and wrong?

I am going to lose my mind !!!!!! WAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOO BAAAAAAA ZOOOOOOO!!!!!!
You need to take your advice and take a break from these discussions.

Look at the other side, can you imagine how 2 parties who supposedly represent us- can **** up something that is really quite simple.

Inept leaders though have nothing to lose, once CANADA Post is privatized they’ll get a golden parachute - so they have nothing to risk here.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2495 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote: You need to take your advice and take a break from these discussions.

Look at the other side, can you imagine how 2 parties who supposedly represent us- can **** up something that is really quite simple.

Inept leaders though have nothing to lose, once CANADA Post is privatized they’ll get a golden parachute - so they have nothing to risk here.
I was thinking that someone would say that as I was typing it....lol. I was laughing to myself as I was thinking it. Nah, I am good. Was just having some fun!!!!! It is very frustrating, but not any more so than the other bunch of "negotiations" that I have been through, if you want to call them that......lol
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: I was thinking that someone would say that as I was typing it....lol. I was laughing to myself as I was thinking it. Nah, I am good. Was just having some fun!!!!! It is very frustrating, but not any more so than the other bunch of "negotiations" that I have been through, if you want to call them that......lol
19 years and as far as I can remember every negotiation has been a shit show- would privatization maybe be so bad after all for newer employees?

Realistically, the union and company have always been pathetic since I started. I’m just lucky I’ve never needed either one as I’m a self starter eliminating the need of most supervisors, and I don’t **** up eliminating CUPW as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
moncton
I would have buckled and taken the arbitration deal, as long as some rules are put in place to avoid what happened last time. But then again it would probably take another year of negotiating and arbitration to agree on the rules...
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
jonny_fishead wrote: I would have buckled and taken the arbitration deal, as long as some rules are put in place to avoid what happened last time. But then again it would probably take another year of negotiating and arbitration to agree on the rules...
Maybe a 4 year deal isn’t long enough, at this rate we may be back at this table they keep talking about before a deal is finalized.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver
stalbert1 wrote: Maybe a 4 year deal isn’t long enough, at this rate we may be back at this table they keep talking about before a deal is finalized.
3 actually since by the time it’s all sorted it will be February. So really a 3 yr deal :(
Apr 12, 2011
745 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
stalbert1 wrote: Did everyone survive their 30 kilometres walk in the park today?

Since CUPW won’t negotiate and work towards middle ground, I predict we are locked out tomorrow. Probably be out 3 weeks till legislation can pass.
I survived, since I brought back almost 2 splits. 8 hours worked. Hey, at least I got all the parcels/packets done (over 100) and the flyer section done too.

stalbert1, I get why you are frustrated with CUPW. This job is easy to you. You are finished work on a Monday, and posting here at 3:30pm. Your route is either a cake-walk, or you hustle your butt off/come in early/take no breaks/cut corners to get it done. Unfortunately, a lot of other walks/depots across the country are not the same as yours, and not everyone can be as fast as you are. Also, there's no early starts where I work.

And blaming this on CUPW, saying "CUPW won’t negotiate and work towards middle ground"... Does that mean you think CP has been trying to work towards a middle ground? CP is just as much to blame, if not more. I'll say it again: If you hate YOUR union so much, then leave!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)