Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1872 posts
2076 upvotes
BC
Today was super light in Vancouver. 3-4 hours for most people, A/O's included.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote: Today was super light in Vancouver. 3-4 hours for most people, A/O's included.
More carriers are coming in this year out here leaving less opportunities to do more if you want.
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Today was super light in Vancouver. 3-4 hours for most people, A/O's included.
I did 7 hours but I took out another two walks when I came back.

We are back in tomorrow. I wonder if we will get much or if it will get cancelled.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
The goal of cupw was to hurt the bottom line of Canada Post- a perverse goal yet it seems they were successful. Doesn't bode well for our futures not that the union cared anyway.

Political ideology was always the aspirations of this farcical group.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote: I’m working Saturday and Sunday in the lower mainland. I think I was last year too though.
I'm working today in Hamilton, and I could have worked yesterday too if it weren't the Santa Claus Parade in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Darn family obligations...haha.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote: I'm working today in Hamilton, and I could have worked yesterday too if it weren't the Santa Claus Parade in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Darn family obligations...haha.

Sweet double time! Enjoy!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2381 posts
1797 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote: The goal of cupw was to hurt the bottom line of Canada Post- a perverse goal yet it seems they were successful. Doesn't bode well for our futures not that the union cared anyway.

Political ideology was always the aspirations of this farcical group.
I am even more thrilled that they could also hurt our bottom lines as well. We had an offer to end the strike earlier with improvements, a $1000 bonus, less lost days pay, less lost holiday pay, less lost personal days, and double bundle to go to arbitration for health and safety. Instead we got all of those losses and arbitration anyway, like many of us said was going to happen. Insanity ! (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result).
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: I am even more thrilled that they could also hurt our bottom lines as well. We had an offer to end the strike earlier with improvements, a $1000 bonus, less lost days pay, less lost holiday pay, less lost personal days, and double bundle to go to arbitration for health and safety. Instead we got all of those losses and arbitration anyway, like many of us said was going to happen. Insanity ! (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result).
Hopeless union trying to destroy it's members future unbelievable!

It's obvious why they don't want arbitration on health and safety- they're gonna recommend conversion to CMBs since most slips and falls occurred on foot walks.

Union has screwed this up for all of us.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5488 posts
2154 upvotes
Winnipeg
stalbert1 wrote: Hopeless union trying to destroy it's members future unbelievable!

It's obvious why they don't want arbitration on health and safety- they're gonna recommend conversion to CMBs since most slips and falls occurred on foot walks.

Union has screwed this up for all of us.
Union is dammed if they do dam if they don't.
CMBs would mean less union dues.
To bad the union didn't focus their energy on increasing the parcel business and not the postal banking pipe dream.
The union is just expediting more business away from Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2381 posts
1797 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Gov't finally appointed the mediator today. 90 day clock should be starting..... We might actually get our raise before next halloween....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1071 posts
569 upvotes
moncton
They myswell start negotiating the next offer now.

This will be the starting points:

CPC: 0% raise and get rid of all perks.

CUPW: 1000% raise and all the perks possible.

CPC counter: 25% decrease in pay and no perks...
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: Gov't finally appointed the mediator today. 90 day clock should be starting..... We might actually get our raise before next halloween....

That $1000 would have been nice, but losing multiple days pay for useless rotating strikes was our reward I guess.

Cupw had no intention ever to meet in the middle and settle. Legislation had to happen or we'd still be rotating.
Jan 5, 2014
274 posts
295 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
14 days to settle before binding arbitration from what I read. Get ready to bend over...

Nice of them to remove 10 hours vacation pay at a higher rate than what I was paid for at the beginning of the year and place it in a recovery plan. They are literally stealing from me if they go ahead with this repayment plan.
Mar 15, 2017
13 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
GTA gets screw the most.... parcel's been crazy.... weekend 8 hr over time is every weekend now, more then double of what we usually do.... I did 120 parcel yesterday. even after doing 8 hr on sunday.... we lost 4 strike pay, instead of 2. I need to bid out from GTA soon as possible...
Dec 23, 2011
311 posts
210 upvotes
toronto
anybody else forced to work in the dark? a coworker almost got killed today working in the dark.
Jul 2, 2018
216 posts
116 upvotes
fishhunting wrote: just saw my carrier book it at 60 down the 40 road, right accross the school zone

this is what the corp is forcing its employees to do, kill innocent kids.
fishhunting wrote: Almost hit four pedestrians today because it's pitch dark outside
fishhunting wrote: anybody else forced to work in the dark? a coworker almost got killed today working in the dark.
Do you ever wonder if people think that you exaggerate just a tad for effect?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1046 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
Progatron wrote: Do you ever wonder if people think that you exaggerate just a tad for effect?
I went for a walk tonight in the dark, nearly got killed crossing the road. Next time I suppose I aught to look before stepping across a busy Street.
Jul 7, 2014
346 posts
263 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Working in the dark is dangerous and shifts should be changed to avoid it, however if its part of your shift its part of your shift.
Everyone has the right to refuse dangerous work, you just have to prove its dangerous...But if its forced OT there is no more forced OT as per the acting ceo.
fishhunting wrote: anybody else forced to work in the dark? a coworker almost got killed today working in the dark.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3831 posts
3925 upvotes
Someone correct me with my line of thinking below.

I hate Canada Post and all of its employees because:

We used to get door to door delivery but because of unionized labour at CP their salaries are much higher than they used to be and what the market dictates their pay should be. Thus, CP was forced to cut the number of mail delivery people and thus introduced community mailboxes. So we suffer as customers today and have a poorer experience from a receiving mail perspective due to CP and their ridiculous salaries for an entry level job.

I'm quite literally inviting people to challenge me here because that's where my disdain for Canada Post comes from, largely.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Dec 23, 2011
311 posts
210 upvotes
toronto
Progatron wrote: Do you ever wonder if people think that you exaggerate just a tad for effect?
the lady that was struck and killed by a canada post also for exaggeration am i right?

the corp still forces mandatory overtime via intensified harassment.

just observations.