Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sr. Member
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
fishhunting wrote: anybody else forced to work in the dark? a coworker almost got killed today working in the dark.
You can’t be forced to do anything you feel is unsafe. SFety assessments are personal and subjective, so you may not feel safe delivering in the dark, while others do. There are so many factors that contribute to this, but in the end a supervisor can’t force you to do it. Exercise tour right to refuse, end of story.

Sometimes I’ll finish up my route in the dark, but not when there’s any ice or snow or rain on the ground. I womt deliver someone else’s trip in the dark because I can’t fully assess the safety of my workspace in the dark with a headlamp.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2011
711 posts
579 upvotes
Etobicoke
angryaudifanatic wrote: Someone correct me with my line of thinking below.

I hate Canada Post and all of its employees because:

We used to get door to door delivery but because of unionized labour at CP their salaries are much higher than they used to be and what the market dictates their pay should be. Thus, CP was forced to cut the number of mail delivery people and thus introduced community mailboxes. So we suffer as customers today and have a poorer experience from a receiving mail perspective due to CP and their ridiculous salaries for an entry level job.

I'm quite literally inviting people to challenge me here because that's where my disdain for Canada Post comes from, largely.
So you're mad that you don't get home delivery anymore, and you blame it on our 'ridiculous' salaries... Do you have a question that relates to working for Canada Post? If not, you can take your comments elsewhere as this is a thread about WORKING for CP and not for you to have your viewpoint challenged. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote: So you're mad that you don't get home delivery anymore, and you blame it on our 'ridiculous' salaries... Do you have a question that relates to working for Canada Post? If not, you can take your comments elsewhere as this is a thread about WORKING for CP and not for you to have your viewpoint challenged. Thanks!
$30/hour is not ridiculous to you for an entry level job?

Ok so to confirm then you are agreeing with my statement that we don't get home delivery because of incredibly ridiculous labour rates. I'll continue ensuring I get home delivery weekly as I qualify for such due to the delivery accommodation program and using the ombudsman to hold you guys to count as you don't even follow what you set out in said program.

Here's my question then. How do you feel about your salaries and the toll it takes on average citizens who suffer as a result of your union?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2011
711 posts
579 upvotes
Etobicoke
angryaudifanatic wrote: $30/hour is not ridiculous to you for an entry level job?

Ok so to confirm then you are agreeing with my statement that we don't get home delivery because of incredibly ridiculous labour rates. I'll continue ensuring I get home delivery weekly as I qualify for such due to the delivery accommodation program and using the ombudsman to hold you guys to count as you don't even follow what you set out in said program.
$30/hour what? Starting wage is $19, top level is $27 something I think. The rest of your comment made no sense to me. You've been ignored now.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote: $30/hour what? Starting wage is $19, top level is $27 something I think. The rest of your comment made no sense to me. You've been ignored now.
I'm proud to be relegated so quickly to the gulag.

Point made.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Member
Jul 2, 2018
206 posts
114 upvotes
fishhunting wrote: the lady that was struck and killed by a canada post also for exaggeration am i right?
Actually, that would have been the one story that would not have been exaggeration, had you in fact told that one. Whereas commenting that the corporation is "forcing its employees to kill innocent kids" could be construed as being jussssst a little over the top. Likewise with all these near-deaths you seem to come across in seemingly disproportionate numbers to the other LCs in this thread.

I'm not insisting these things aren't true, maybe they are. I'm just making my own observation based on your posts that seem to harp on the same subject.
Sr. Member
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
angryaudifanatic wrote: Someone correct me with my line of thinking below.

I hate Canada Post and all of its employees because:

We used to get door to door delivery but because of unionized labour at CP their salaries are much higher than they used to be and what the market dictates their pay should be. Thus, CP was forced to cut the number of mail delivery people and thus introduced community mailboxes. So we suffer as customers today and have a poorer experience from a receiving mail perspective due to CP and their ridiculous salaries for an entry level job.

I'm quite literally inviting people to challenge me here because that's where my disdain for Canada Post comes from, largely.
You’re a little off topic, but I’ll indulge.

Door to door delivery removed and converted some addresses to CMBs as part of the five point action plan in 2013. This strategy was created to, “solve” a projected loss based on declining letter mail and largely misunderstood pension solvency deficit.

The strange part about it is that the corporation invested a HUGE amount of money into automated lettermail sortation, a fleet of delivery trucks, new sortation cases and more to solve the problem of a declining product. The corporation also vastly underestimated the growth of the level business and as a result, most depots and trucks are undersized for the volume of parcels they’re responsible for. I don’t see how this poor investment has anything to do with workers, or their wages, but I’ll continue.

Entry level Canada Post employees make about $19/hour, which you could argue is needed to attract higher quality applicants than say McDonalds at $15/hour. Considering we handle passports and other sensitive documents, I see this as a good thing. We top out at around $26/hour which is pretty good, but comparative to all the other courier companies, it’s about $4-$5 less.

I don’t blame you for being angry about losing door to door. I lost it and now I have to go pick up my mail. Is it that much of an inconvenience? Not so much, but it’s definitely less service than I was getting before. I understand why you would want to lay the blame on workers and our exorbitant salaries, but in reality, management tried to solve a problem that didn’t exist and created many new ones as a result.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
pike18 wrote: You’re a little off topic, but I’ll indulge.

Door to door delivery removed and converted some addresses to CMBs as part of the five point action plan in 2013. This strategy was created to, “solve” a projected loss based on declining letter mail and largely misunderstood pension solvency deficit.

The strange part about it is that the corporation invested a HUGE amount of money into automated lettermail sortation, a fleet of delivery trucks, new sortation cases and more to solve the problem of a declining product. The corporation also vastly underestimated the growth of the level business and as a result, most depots and trucks are undersized for the volume of parcels they’re responsible for. I don’t see how this poor investment has anything to do with workers, or their wages, but I’ll continue.

Entry level Canada Post employees make about $19/hour, which you could argue is needed to attract higher quality applicants than say McDonalds at $15/hour. Considering we handle passports and other sensitive documents, I see this as a good thing. We top out at around $26/hour which is pretty good, but comparative to all the other courier companies, it’s about $4-$5 less.

I don’t blame you for being angry about losing door to door. I lost it and now I have to go pick up my mail. Is it that much of an inconvenience? Not so much, but it’s definitely less service than I was getting before. I understand why you would want to lay the blame on workers and our exorbitant salaries, but in reality, management tried to solve a problem that didn’t exist and created many new ones as a result.
This was precisely the level of insight that I was hoping to get. Thanks for the explanation, and for what you do at CP.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Jr. Member
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Someone correct me with my line of thinking below.

I hate Canada Post and all of its employees because:

We used to get door to door delivery but because of unionized labour at CP their salaries are much higher than they used to be and what the market dictates their pay should be. Thus, CP was forced to cut the number of mail delivery people and thus introduced community mailboxes. So we suffer as customers today and have a poorer experience from a receiving mail perspective due to CP and their ridiculous salaries for an entry level job.

I'm quite literally inviting people to challenge me here because that's where my disdain for Canada Post comes from, largely.
Postal service used to be very lucrative, government take monopoly on postal service because it generates a lot of revenue.

Before automation, it's a very labour intensive job to collect, sort, sequence and delivery mail. And it was almost the only form of formal long distance communications.

The high wages was a result of high demand of labour and being a vital service, union has a lot of power to negotiate a high wage and benefits.

What you heard like gold plated pensions, 5+ weeks vacation, 26+/hr were just grandfathered in from that time.

Wage for new hires (after 2013) has been cut to not much more than minimum wage, and it will take you at least 10 years to get a full time position inside and you're going to be stuck at being "on call" at the lowest wage scale with no rise, no garenteed hour nor benefits for many years. You can make less than minimum wage after union due during low season. And yes, there are many lazy and incompetent people working here, we all wish they can be fired to make rooms for people who actually want to work, but it just doesn't work this way.

Letter carriers are not the lowest end job and the salary is on par (in fact lower) with similar jobs in the private sector.

Postal Transformation (including the transition to CMB and much more) was intended to keep postal service up to date and cost cutting to keep Canada Post afloat given that letter mail has been on steep decline every year.

Check my previous post, I don't side with the Union but I can't find myself agreeing with you neither.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
leyland1989 wrote: Postal service used to be very lucrative, government take monopoly on postal service because it generates a lot of revenue.

Before automation, it's a very labour intensive job to collect, sort, sequence and delivery mail. And it was almost the only form of formal long distance communications.

The high wages was a result of high demand of labour and being a vital service, union has a lot of power to negotiate a high wage and benefits.

What you heard like gold plated pensions, 5+ weeks vacation, 26+/hr were just grandfathered in from that time.

Wage for new hires (after 2013) has been cut to not much more than minimum wage, and it will take you at least 10 years to get a full time position inside and you're going to be stuck at being "on call" at the lowest wage scale with no rise, no garenteed hour nor benefits for many years. You can make less than minimum wage after union due during low season. And yes, there are many lazy and incompetent people working here, we all wish they can be fired to make rooms for people who actually want to work, but it just doesn't work this way.

Letter carriers are not the lowest end job and the salary is on par (in fact lower) with similar jobs in the private sector.

Postal Transformation (including the transition to CMB and much more) was intended to keep postal service up to date and cost cutting to keep Canada Post afloat given that letter mail has been on steep decline every year.

Check my previous post, I don't side with the Union but I can't find myself agreeing with you neither.
Thank you
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
angryaudifanatic wrote: Someone correct me with my line of thinking below.

I hate Canada Post and all of its employees because:

We used to get door to door delivery but because of unionized labour at CP their salaries are much higher than they used to be and what the market dictates their pay should be. Thus, CP was forced to cut the number of mail delivery people and thus introduced community mailboxes. So we suffer as customers today and have a poorer experience from a receiving mail perspective due to CP and their ridiculous salaries for an entry level job.

I'm quite literally inviting people to challenge me here because that's where my disdain for Canada Post comes from, largely.
You have it backwards. If it weren't for the union you'd be getting mail once per week at a mega-community mail box. And half your mail/parcels would be getting stolen/thrown out/destroyed because all they'd be hiring is dorks willing to work for minimum wage.
Sr. Member
Apr 30, 2015
904 posts
700 upvotes
York, ON
I really don't understand this idea that we are paid "above-market". I'm sorry but if anything, when you look at our competitors, we are being paid below market. It's the same bizarre thinking that nobody gets mail anymore or that we're "obsolete" when we are busier than ever and are dealing with literal mountains of product. A lot of people are very misinformed.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
tarjet wrote: I really don't understand this idea that we are paid "above-market". I'm sorry but if anything, when you look at our competitors, we are being paid below market. It's the same bizarre thinking that nobody gets mail anymore or that we're "obsolete" when we are busier than ever and are dealing with literal mountains of product. A lot of people are very misinformed.
Under that same logic why not work for a competitor?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3766 posts
3851 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: You have it backwards. If it weren't for the union you'd be getting mail once per week at a mega-community mail box. And half your mail/parcels would be getting stolen/thrown out/destroyed because all they'd be hiring is dorks willing to work for minimum wage.
I'm glad you think so little about min wage workers? Consumers must be dying everywhere at McDonald's.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Member
Jul 2, 2018
206 posts
114 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: half your mail/parcels would be getting stolen/thrown out/destroyed because all they'd be hiring is dorks willing to work for minimum wage.
angryaudifanatic wrote: I'm glad you think so little about min wage workers? Consumers must be dying everywhere at McDonald's.
LOL! I thought the same thing. All those restaurant and mall retail employees that steal, discard and destroy the food or merchandise because their paycheques are $200 smaller.
tarjet wrote: It's the same bizarre thinking that nobody gets mail anymore or that we're "obsolete" when we are busier than ever and are dealing with literal mountains of product. A lot of people are very misinformed.
This I agree with. I can't stand the fact that so many people do absolutely zero research before offering their two cents. "All I ever get are pizza flyers" - Oh really? You never order anything online? Interesting... "They're all lazy!" - Some of them might be, but that's the case with any job. I doubt anyone who walks for six or eight hours a day or spends all day on their feet in the sorting plant is 'lazy'. "Time to privatize!" - this is something that people read and then repeat because it makes them sound like they know what they're talking about, until they abandon the debate when presented with facts that confuse them. "Just use FedEx or UPS!" - Gee, why didn't I think of that? Perfect solution! .... hey, what's this brokerage fee I have to pay for the DVD I ordered from the States?
Sr. Member
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Under that same logic why not work for a competitor?
That’s not the same logic, it’s just moving the goalposts.

If we are overpaid, other couriers should be all paid less. If not, then we aren’t overpaid. It is simple as that.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
Regarding working for a competitor, it's a different job. I took this job because I like the exercise, the interaction, the teambuilding in depots and much more. If I went to the depot, picked up my loaded vehicle and hopped in and out of a truck all day I'd quit. Being a letter carrier is not the same as an MSC, which is what courier companies are. We do similar work, but not the same.

God forbid someone actually enjoys their job and supports a union for trying to get them a raise and fix some significant safety issues. "If you don't like it then quit" is such a defeatist attitude. Our parents fought to improve working conditions and we're happy to just let Corporate roll back on us, what the hell? This is happening everywhere and won't stop, it's on employees to actually use their constitutional rights to protest to prevent the complete erosion of worker's rights. We had 3 IOD's in our station yesterday during the torrential downpour in Vancouver. Soaked to the bone in 80 mm of rain in 3C weather. I wonder why there's 1000+ open positions in Vancouver, I can only imagine having to deal with this volume in the ice and snow.
Sr. Member
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Regarding working for a competitor, it's a different job. I took this job because I like the exercise, the interaction, the teambuilding in depots and much more. If I went to the depot, picked up my loaded vehicle and hopped in and out of a truck all day I'd quit. Being a letter carrier is not the same as an MSC, which is what courier companies are. We do similar work, but not the same.

God forbid someone actually enjoys their job and supports a union for trying to get them a raise and fix some significant safety issues. "If you don't like it then quit" is such a defeatist attitude. Our parents fought to improve working conditions and we're happy to just let Corporate roll back on us, what the hell? This is happening everywhere and won't stop, it's on employees to actually use their constitutional rights to protest to prevent the complete erosion of worker's rights. We had 3 IOD's in our station yesterday during the torrential downpour in Vancouver. Soaked to the bone in 80 mm of rain in 3C weather. I wonder why there's 1000+ open positions in Vancouver, I can only imagine having to deal with this volume in the ice and snow.
That rain yesterday was a **** nightmare. I’m going to have to take a personal day soon for mental health because I’m on like my 16th day working in a row.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1021 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote: Regarding working for a competitor, it's a different job. I took this job because I like the exercise, the interaction, the teambuilding in depots and much more. If I went to the depot, picked up my loaded vehicle and hopped in and out of a truck all day I'd quit. Being a letter carrier is not the same as an MSC, which is what courier companies are. We do similar work, but not the same.

God forbid someone actually enjoys their job and supports a union for trying to get them a raise and fix some significant safety issues. "If you don't like it then quit" is such a defeatist attitude. Our parents fought to improve working conditions and we're happy to just let Corporate roll back on us, what the hell? This is happening everywhere and won't stop, it's on employees to actually use their constitutional rights to protest to prevent the complete erosion of worker's rights. We had 3 IOD's in our station yesterday during the torrential downpour in Vancouver. Soaked to the bone in 80 mm of rain in 3C weather. I wonder why there's 1000+ open positions in Vancouver, I can only imagine having to deal with this volume in the ice and snow.
Walking in snow and ice means my day is at least 1.5 hours longer. You get used to it pretty quickly and customers are very appreciative of your efforts in winter.

In summer they figure the job is just a walk in the park though. Face With Tears Of Joy

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Coren