Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1613 posts
822 upvotes
toronto
what happened to the 4000 helpers for xmas....as why cant they do your route while on personal days...or was that a media stunt on canada post so it shows that were backlogged with parcels...
rangeroad07 wrote: Ha, ha...classic. At least we didn't get the 'it's Christmas, don't you dare even think about taking a personal day during the holiday season' letter from corporate.
No advertising in avatars or sigs
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-po ... -1.4222634

Canada Post says it has cleared backlog; normal delivery times restored for most of country
OTTAWA
THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED 11 MINUTES AGO
UPDATED DECEMBER 18, 2018

SEAN KILPATRICK/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Three weeks after striking postal workers were forced back to work, Canada Post says it’s caught up on most parcel delivery backlogs that had been created by rotating walkouts.

The Crown corporation says its normal holiday delivery service guarantees have been restored across most of the country, except Vancouver.

The federal government legislated an end to job action by postal workers on Nov. 27 after Canada Post complained that a backlog of parcels was reaching historic levels ahead of the crucial holiday shopping period.

At the time, Canada Post warned the backlog could take until the end of January to clear up.

Canada Post said it delivered about four million packages between last Friday and yesterday, and will likely be able to deliver items ordered online in time for Christmas.

But it also depends on where the parcels are coming from as Canada Post expects some shipments from outside Canada might only be delivered in early January.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1613 posts
822 upvotes
toronto
what a joke....
and the government fell for it

geeze
Progatron wrote: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-po ... -1.4222634

Canada Post says it has cleared backlog; normal delivery times restored for most of country
OTTAWA
THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED 11 MINUTES AGO

Three weeks after striking postal workers were forced back to work, Canada Post says it’s caught up on most parcel delivery backlogs that had been created by rotating walkouts.

The Crown corporation says its normal holiday delivery service guarantees have been restored across most of the country, except Vancouver.

The federal government legislated an end to job action by postal workers on Nov. 27 after Canada Post complained that a backlog of parcels was reaching historic levels ahead of the crucial holiday shopping period.

At the time, Canada Post warned the backlog could take until the end of January to clear up.

Canada Post said it delivered about four million packages between last Friday and yesterday, and will likely be able to deliver items ordered online in time for Christmas.

But it also depends on where the parcels are coming from as Canada Post expects some shipments from outside Canada might only be delivered in early January.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
Three weeks after striking postal workers were forced back to work, Canada Post says it's caught up on most parcel delivery backlogs that had been created by rotating walkouts.

I think they meant getting caught with their pants down after being shown their staffing model cannot work without copious voluntary (or involuntary) overtime. A plant going down for 4-6 non consecutive days does not create a 3 week backlog. Losing the equivalent of a full shift a day by not having OT worked does. Staff your plants properly you idiots, it's not rocket surgery.

Judging by how much has been spewing out of PPC in the past few days, I'm not surprised they're not resuming delivery guarantees in Vancouver. Likely not because the plant is swamped, but because the depots got hit with a dozen monos a day (we have a 30 mono backup) and there's no way we can clear it before the weekend sends us another load. As of mid last week, PPC's Vancouver domestic regional lanes were cleared. So either they just got absolutely crushed this weekend (which seems to be the case) or there's still a massive international backlog (which also seems to be the case, but that's normal any time of the year). I'm doubling down on my bet that Canada Post asked Amazon for more parcels then we got smashed from both sides by them and a massive volume from Gateway that got unclogged last week. I'm getting metric shitloads of government registers and passports, most of which (I'm being told by customers) are upwards of a month late.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Judging by how much has been spewing out of PPC in the past few days, I'm not surprised they're not resuming delivery guarantees in Vancouver. Likely not because the plant is swamped, but because the depots got hit with a dozen monos a day (we have a 30 mono backup) and there's no way we can clear it before the weekend sends us another load.
I was surprised to read that, after hearing all along that it was the GTA that was going to be the worst affected. Here in Hamilton I am personally caught up on just about everything. All that I'm waiting on now is a UK magazine, but that's not even 'late', it shipped on Dec 7th.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1613 posts
822 upvotes
toronto
im guessing advertisors are finally realizing direct admail does not work,,,i used to have flyers sent out..does not work, went with the times...internet advertising
Mailmanwill wrote: Since the strike we don’t have Canadian Tire, Ikea and a few other types of flyers. I haven’t had any flyers for 4 days straight! Another company called Publi Sac is taking a lot of our flyer business away. Only made around 50 bucks in flyer money last pay. I thought I wouldn’t ever want more flyers but I hope we get some back!
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
https://www.cupw.ca/en/mediation-process-ends

On Monday, December 17, 2018 the mediation process under the back to work legislation ended. Mediator-arbitrator Elizabeth MacPherson was unable to bring the parties to an agreement. The parties remain too far apart and there was no agreement to extend the mediation process for an additional seven days.

Today, Ms MacPherson issued her order regarding the arbitration process. The arbitration will start in January. The parties will make submissions to the arbitrator regarding how the arbitration will proceed.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Progatron wrote: https://www.cupw.ca/en/mediation-process-ends

On Monday, December 17, 2018 the mediation process under the back to work legislation ended. Mediator-arbitrator Elizabeth MacPherson was unable to bring the parties to an agreement. The parties remain too far apart and there was no agreement to extend the mediation process for an additional seven days.

Today, Ms MacPherson issued her order regarding the arbitration process. The arbitration will start in January. The parties will make submissions to the arbitrator regarding how the arbitration will proceed.
What a surprise,cupw never intended on settling for any agreement, will be forced to accept the arbitration and then blame.the evil Liberals for not allowing them to hold rotating strikes till 2021.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
rangeroad07 wrote: Ha, ha...classic. At least we didn't get the 'it's Christmas, don't you dare even think about taking a personal day during the holiday season' letter from corporate.
Man, you are so silly !!! Don't you remember, they took away everybodys holidays and personal days from the moment we went on strike (pro rated). The new corporate strategy is "they can't use them if they don't have them "!
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote: What a surprise,cupw never intended on settling for any agreement, will be forced to accept the arbitration and then blame.the evil Liberals for not allowing them to hold rotating strikes till 2021.
I don't always disagree with you, but to be fair, the company isn't really interested in dealing with the issues fairly either. These two groups both have enough clowns to restart the barnum and baily circus.....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Progatron wrote: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-po ... -1.4222634

OTTAWA
THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED 11 MINUTES AGO

And because of news like this , when the challenge is heard by the supreme court again, on the same issue that they already ruled on...... the Liberals are going to be f$%#$$. I really hope the court levies a massive fine this time that gets to be split amongst all of the workers.....
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: I don't always disagree with you, but to be fair, the company isn't really interested in dealing with the issues fairly either. These two groups both have enough clowns to restart the barnum and baily circus.....
If the minutes of these meetings were actually held I'm quite certain we'd be ashamed and disgusted with both sides.

And I'm still not driving my electric vehicle yet. Or spending my $1000, oh I forgot cupw thought that was an awful idea.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: And because of news like this , when the challenge is heard by the supreme court again, on the same issue that they already ruled on...... the Liberals are going to be f$%#$$. I really hope the court levies a massive fine this time that gets to be split amongst all of the workers.....
I think clearing up the backlog was helped along by slower than normal parcels currently being received. The RPO I cleared Sunday said he's way down compared with last year.

Next couple of financial statements will be horrendous I predict.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
moncton
I'd like to know what the best case scenario is if the court rules in our favor. Seems like even if we win there isn't much they can do, its just a token victory.
May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
interesting question but here's the situation i'm in..

took a personal leave Nov 5th to Feb 5th..

Decided to come back early, notified my supervisors in good faith.

Worked all last week and one day of double pay.

Contacted HR and sure enough, they never did the paperwork to show that I'm back to work and that I'm in fact still on my personal leave.

So what do I do? I didn't go to work yesterday and today, sure enough my personal days weren't touched.

If I wanted to stay on the personal leave would I have to reapply for a new one?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote: Next couple of financial statements will be horrendous I predict.
Then comes a new "privutise dem" op-ed every week from every right leaning news outlet.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jonny_fishead wrote: I'd like to know what the best case scenario is if the court rules in our favor. Seems like even if we win there isn't much they can do, its just a token victory.
You are correct, based on past history. That is why I am hoping for a massive penalty to be applied this time. I am pretty sure that the court is not going to be pleased that they have to rule on this again.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
your best bet wrote: im guessing advertisors are finally realizing direct admail does not work,,,i used to have flyers sent out..does not work, went with the times...internet advertising
It depends on the type of business. I don’t have personal experience but that’s what I’ve heard.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote: Then comes a new "privutise dem" op-ed every week from every right leaning news outlet.
EXACTLY what I said a couple of pages back. The right wing board of directors would make rather see this company lose money than give anything to a union, so that they can make their friends rich with privitization....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
your best bet wrote: im guessing advertisors are finally realizing direct admail does not work,,,i used to have flyers sent out..does not work, went with the times...internet advertising
Couldn't disagree more. The reason that we are getting all of those Canadian Tires is because, CT couldn't believe how much boost that they were getting from them on the few that they trialed. Now we get them weekly as a result. There are alot of positive result stories.....

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

fishingaddict17