Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
The probation process has no teeth. Supervisors just let people coast to 480 then they're stuck with then because its easier than do the paperwork to fire them.

Now that the timeframe for FT is 6 months to a year, we're now getting perm RLCs who have never sorted a walk. Backfills only capable of doing 3/4 routes after 2 weeks on the walk. These are the baddies that just squeaked through and weren't fired when they should've been. Now we're stuck with them. Forever. We can only do so much to try and show them that their work ethic is garbage - for one guy we will not do his parcels or spare section on OT. Management's attitude is "he's a backfill, he won't be here forever, let his new station deal with him". Yes, but he was a term here for 4 months prior, this is their own doing.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
I want to try and hold on, but life gets in the way sometimes and I need to be a provider for my wife and children. My wife does work, but she can't be the sole breadwinner in the house, we simply can't afford that.

6 months to FT would be great, a year, not so much. I was lucky in my position with CP that I had the same walk for 5 weeks, and although there were days I got help with parcels due to volume, I still sorted, pulled according to header, and collated my own flyers for next day delivery. I take pride in being one of the terms who "gets it", but as mentioned, I need to be able to pay bills.

We socked some away for a rainy day but how far we can stretch it out with full time (or even PT) hours has yet to be seen.

I want this job, but the uncertainty of hours up till PT/FThas me worried.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote: Half the routes don’t even make sense if you were to tie it out the corporate way. Obviously the 2 bundle system is here to stay.
When will cupw start representing the urban side??? Anyone know?
Cupw represents Palestine,Cuba and lousy employees, that's it. Those who actually deliver mail and work hard need not bother cause your just dues to them.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote: About having many crap working at CP, in my opinion it starts with the hiring process. For example instead of having that computer quiz done at home, CP should have people to do it at the plant. For example if my understanding of English isnt good, or if I don’t know the difference between a square from a rectangle then, at home, I can just ask my husband, wife or kids to help me, at the plant you are on your own...
The hiring process done properly can eliminate lots of “weed”, but the union is to blame as well, it’s unbelievable the protection they give to weed like workers, they become like parasites just dragging around and sucking the system.
Yes, it’s unbelieveable the protection they give uniformly to all members who pay dues. As is their role. As is their role. As is their role.

Jesus Christ.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote: I want to try and hold on, but life gets in the way sometimes and I need to be a provider for my wife and children. My wife does work, but she can't be the sole breadwinner in the house, we simply can't afford that.

6 months to FT would be great, a year, not so much. I was lucky in my position with CP that I had the same walk for 5 weeks, and although there were days I got help with parcels due to volume, I still sorted, pulled according to header, and collated my own flyers for next day delivery. I take pride in being one of the terms who "gets it", but as mentioned, I need to be able to pay bills.

We socked some away for a rainy day but how far we can stretch it out with full time (or even PT) hours has yet to be seen.

This might be a dumb idea but could you transfer to a nearby zone?

I accidentally put myself near the middle/top of a term list by transferring to a zone whose training was a week after mine. I was ahead of every term trained at the same time.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote: I want to try and hold on, but life gets in the way sometimes and I need to be a provider for my wife and children. My wife does work, but she can't be the sole breadwinner in the house, we simply can't afford that.

Cold weather and snowy next couple of weeks. I predict you will be called in then- I hope so!!
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote: This might be a dumb idea but could you transfer to a nearby zone?

I accidentally put myself near the middle/top of a term list by transferring to a zone whose training was a week after mine. I was ahead of every term trained at the same time.
I could always ask. Going to text a friend who is a supervisor here in Niagara.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote: This might be a dumb idea but could you transfer to a nearby zone?

If I were to go.local, I'd be number 13 out of 15 and the top 3 have July 2016 hire dates. I'd say my chances of FT are greater in the Hammer than Niagara at the present time.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Well it's based by zone, an average sized zone should have 150+ terms on the list. If you call staffing they can tell you where you are in your current zone list and where you'd be on another zone's list as well. It's in their best interest to fill zones optimally so I'd think they'd be helpful in getting you into the best zone with the most work.
Apr 12, 2011
745 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
stalbert1 wrote: Cupw represents Palestine,Cuba and lousy employees, that's it. Those who actually deliver mail and work hard need not bother cause your just dues to them.
Wow, just wow.
This is one of the worst comments I have seen from you, sorry. Completely false.
Jun 25, 2013
68 posts
22 upvotes
anybody working in stations with the night sorts? is it terrible? how long did it take you to 'normalize' to it?

they just announced it last week at our station. i'm not sure why as we literally JUST went through restructure (start picking routes next week), and they don't even have a definite timetable for when it's going into implementation. i feel like they're just fear mongering - typical :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2048 posts
1661 upvotes
just curious , has any of you guys got your insurance(ONTARIO) renewal recently? has it gone up? with Coseco or TD.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Oct 26, 2018
33 posts
17 upvotes
What the hell is the difference between a Part Timer and a Term. At my depot Terms were equivalent to Christmas / Seasonal Help.
Or do people just use the 'terms' interchangeably ?
Jul 14, 2013
171 posts
99 upvotes
SamPickles wrote: What the hell is the difference between a Part Timer and a Term. At my depot Terms were equivalent to Christmas / Seasonal Help.
Or do people just use the 'terms' interchangeably ?
A "Part-timer" is a permanent part-time position. A "Term" is a casual on-call position.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote: Cupw is just looking for more union dues, but they can’t even represent who they already have.
I doubt if cupw members would be too keen on pension money being used to finance it
Of course they pretend not to know the cost of buying electric vehicles, which would be a multi million dollar expense.

Cupw, represents themselves, not those who actually deliver mail.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

fishingaddict17