Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
mikebc wrote: If there's multiple days of mail just walk the section twice. No need to be a hero.
I wasn't going to have time to walk twice, and never got the message about safety and zero expectations from any supervisor or superintendent. Just did what I thought would make my life easier.

Another lesson learned.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1023 posts
609 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote: I wasn't going to have time to walk twice, and never got the message about safety and zero expectations from any supervisor or superintendent. Just did what I thought would make my life easier.

Another lesson learned.
We're a communication company, just not internally.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11944 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
So contract “proposal” is for 4 years to expire Jan 2021. Start saving people.

What an fN joke these parties are.
Apr 30, 2015
906 posts
703 upvotes
York, ON
mikebc wrote: The linked scenario basically says the "demotion" that you get when given FT was wrong. Once you get FT, your "anniversary date" should be that day and you should not receive a pay reduction (as it is an involuntary demotion or something).

At least 5 reliefs have grieved this in my station in the past year to the point where management doesn't even read the argument. The wording was so ambiguous that they just had the attitude of "if we can't interpret it then we'll rule in our favour". I don't know why our grievances aren't arbitrated by a neutral party, the manager having the final and only say just delegitimizes the entire process.
The grievances do go to a neutral arbitrator eventually. I don't know where you get that the manager has the final say. That's not how the process works. If the local area manager denies it the union can take it to arbitration.
jmomccxx wrote: I was made full time last year.

So, I was getting paid 20.30 relief when i was a term. Then got hired and backfilled to a route (19.86), then bid on a relief spot and was back up to 20.30... and then bid on a route and back down to 19.86. Is there anyway I could snag a raise based on that?

I would 100% bid on a relief spot if that meant an extra level bump also.
According to this latest agreement when you go to a relief you are supposed to jump up to the next level and not just get the piddly raise for being relief. So you should actually be looking at a full years raise once this works its way through.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
Hey guys, a term here. I was asked to come in on Sunday and do a full route delivery. I asked if it was considered OT and I was told no by the staffer.

I politely declined for a number of reasons.

I remember delivering parcels on a Saturday over the holidays and was paid OT. Anyone know why it wouldn't be considered OT this time? CP should incentivize folks to work on a Sunday.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
@tarjet

Many people have grieved that specific precedent and lost, myself included. The local grievance officer sits down with the manager and goes through them all. It was obviously grieved nationally but for the past 5 years that specific issue was shut down at the zone level.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote: Are 'snowflake rated' shoes mandatory in snow? We are going to get our few days of snow for the year soon and I don't want to get sent out to buy shoes. I wear trail runners but they probably just look like running shoes. They have lots of tread as I bought them this week.
Not mandatory. I think if they were, they would have to supply them.

Terms get them free, perms get $40 rebate.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2342 posts
1755 upvotes
at the chiropractors
ocallaghand wrote: Hey guys, a term here. I was asked to come in on Sunday and do a full route delivery. I asked if it was considered OT and I was told no by the staffer.

I politely declined for a number of reasons.

I remember delivering parcels on a Saturday over the holidays and was paid OT. Anyone know why it wouldn't be considered OT this time? CP should incentivize folks to work on a Sunday.
Were you already working Mon-Fri before delivering parcels?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
That sounds shady tbh, RDO should be offered to the in-house opportunity list before they call terms. Unless it was exhausted, but if Mon-Fri are the employment terms for casuals then it should be incentive double time. If it was a scheduled MSC route then it might be different.

I wish we had a union rep in this thread.
Apr 8, 2015
8 posts
11 upvotes
London, ON
I heard Hamilton didn't go out Weds or Thurs. Then today with double mail I heard there was picketing unions at your station and mail was held for day 3. I cant even imagine what it looks like there!! Best you didn't go in anyways. But I think it should be double time for weekend work with RDO sign up. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of new hires … big surprise.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2342 posts
1755 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote: That sounds shady tbh, RDO should be offered to the in-house opportunity list before they call terms. Unless it was exhausted, but if Mon-Fri are the employment terms for casuals then it should be incentive double time. If it was a scheduled MSC route then it might be different.

I wish we had a union rep in this thread.
Agreed Mike. However, I too am not sure what their terms and conditions are. I would assume that they are supposed to be on call for the full 7 days of the week though...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: Were you already working Mon-Fri before delivering parcels?
Yes, I was on assignment for the month of December. Are you thinking I need to work a certain number of hours (40) prior to the OT?
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
Postieman wrote: I heard Hamilton didn't go out Weds or Thurs. Then today with double mail I heard there was picketing unions at your station and mail was held for day 3. I cant even imagine what it looks like there!! Best you didn't go in anyways. But I think it should be double time for weekend work with RDO sign up. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of new hires … big surprise.
Hamilton Depot 1 went out yesterday with two days worth of mail. I carried one section of the previous day, plus parcels.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
Section 15 kind of applies to this situation, but after combing through anything I'd thought relevant the statements are very vague regarding use and payment of casual employees to cover RDO positions. This is pretty cut and dry, you'd think a staffer would know better than to bypass potentially 500 people just to save two hundred dollars for the Corp.

I do know that if a full time employee declines an offer to take out a route on the weekend that counts as them declining parcel delivery too. So RDO is RDO, regardless of what you're doing.

So the question is, why would they be offering RDO to terms without exhausting the station list, then the city-wide lists? As a term I got called once over 3 Christmas periods. Exhausting the city wide list is very hard to do, especially after some overtime jockeys had 2+ days off this week and probably want their OT opportunities.

I'm thinking they were offering him a weekend MSC route, which would be straight time (plus the $1.15 shift premium). If he then worked Monday to Friday then the Friday would be considered double time since after 5 straight anything further is considered a rest day.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Postieman wrote: I heard Hamilton didn't go out Weds or Thurs. Then today with double mail I heard there was picketing unions at your station and mail was held for day 3. I cant even imagine what it looks like there!! Best you didn't go in anyways. But I think it should be double time for weekend work with RDO sign up. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of new hires … big surprise.
You’re correct. There were picketers in front of our depot from about 830am -2pm. Finished our volume count and then hung around until 2pm. They sent us out afterwards to do what we could. I ended up just doing my scanables, so my route is backed up three full days of lettermail. I’m not really worried about it, some of it will go out on the weekend possibly, or it will give some casuals some hours.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1023 posts
609 upvotes
LONDON
pike18 wrote: You’re correct. There were picketers in front of our depot from about 830am -2pm. Finished our volume count and then hung around until 2pm. They sent us out afterwards to do what we could. I ended up just doing my scanables, so my route is backed up three full days of lettermail. I’m not really worried about it, some of it will go out on the weekend possibly, or it will give some casuals some hours.
Wtf, picketing what?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mikebc wrote: Section 15 kind of applies to this situation, but after combing through anything I'd thought relevant the statements are very vague regarding use and payment of casual employees to cover RDO positions. This is pretty cut and dry, you'd think a staffer would know better than to bypass potentially 500 people just to save two hundred dollars for the Corp.

I do know that if a full time employee declines an offer to take out a route on the weekend that counts as them declining parcel delivery too. So RDO is RDO, regardless of what you're doing.

So the question is, why would they be offering RDO to terms without exhausting the station list, then the city-wide lists? As a term I got called once over 3 Christmas periods. Exhausting the city wide list is very hard to do, especially after some overtime jockeys had 2+ days off this week and probably want their OT opportunities.

I'm thinking they were offering him a weekend MSC route, which would be straight time (plus the $1.15 shift premium). If he then worked Monday to Friday then the Friday would be considered double time since after 5 straight anything further is considered a rest day.
They offered Saturday and Sunday RDO to everyone in station today. City wide is pretty easy in our case because they just announce it at other depots in the zone when there is OT available at East, West, Mountain, Grimsby etc.

The weekend shifts are as LCs, not MSC positions. I think they’re just trying to minimize cost at this point.

While it sounds like staffing may be doing something shady, RDOs fall under 17.01, which isn’t part of the collective agreement covering casuals (44.17). I don’t see how they’re going to get anyone to sign up to work a weekend on straight time and even when I was a casual, I don’t remember ever being straight time on an RDO.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
How would they calculate payment on taking out 3 days worth of mail on double time. Is it 8 x 3 x 2 (48) per route? If that was the case I'd be chomping at the bit to do it even if it was on straight time.

I wonder how the Deepak regime would've handled this. I bet they regret promising not to force for the duration of negotiations.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

danman227460