Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 24, 2016
746 posts
888 upvotes
scarborough
timetotellthetruth wrote: but, but, but ,you will gain 5 minutes of time values !!!! It's a complete joke, but again, the membership voted for it !!! I know I didn't !!!!
Its amazing on how much the union says we wanted it but we never voted for
Oct 19, 2017
62 posts
45 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: but, but, but ,you will gain 5 minutes of time values !!!! It's a complete joke, but again, the membership voted for it !!! I know I didn't !!!!
We should all, every one of us, book O/T for actual time collating the flyers...no way only takes 5 min.! Problem is: most LC has their own route & has "extra" time from being efficient that CP is trying to encroach on to see how far they could push the limit. Since no flood of O/T booked, CP will continue to find ways to squeeze us dry.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2303 posts
603 upvotes
Koolob1 wrote: We should all, every one of us, book O/T for actual time collating the flyers...no way only takes 5 min.! Problem is: most LC has their own route & has "extra" time from being efficient that CP is trying to encroach on to see how far they could push the limit. Since no flood of O/T booked, CP will continue to find ways to squeeze us dry.
Exactly, some guys in my over-assessed depot were still finishing on time last Wednesday, I don't get this. Pretty much one of the busiest days of the year and these people are rushing through their routes without breaks. Who benefits from this, certainly not us Letter Carriers. Most LC's don't even know they can claim OT for collating flyers or don't do it to avoid the wrath of the sups. One relief guy finished the route in OT, claimed OT and after that went on to collate for next day, drives me crazy. Or one guy has his official start at 9:30, but has a 17:00 pickup, so by the time he gets back to the depot it is pretty much the end of his shift (17:30). He still needs to collate his flyers as per the collective agreement. You wanna take a guess if he claims OT every day?
Apr 29, 2012
1 posts
Does your offer of employment say that you are required to have commercial coverage? Check with your new supervisor as to what is exactly required. In Ontario OCRE RSMCs are not required to have commercial coverage, but must have 1M liability and inform the insurance company how they are using the car. Commercial coverage is not required.

From Canada Post

Vehicle Insurance
As a condition of hiring and of continued employment, you will be required to
provide, on a yearly basis, a copy of your certificate of the required automobile
liability insurance of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) inclusive per
occurrence for damages, including damage to the property of others and, when
authorized by law, for bodily injury and death. You will be required to maintain this
insurance at your own expense throughout your period of employment with Canada
Post.
You will be required to notify your insurance company as to the use of your vehicle
while employed with Canada Post as an RSMC. By accepting this offer, you are
acknowledging that the nature of the use of your vehicle has been disclosed to
your insurer.

Oct 30, 2017
86 posts
147 upvotes
Hey folks, is anyone able to help me out with this? If you could look around your depot or have anything yourself I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks
CompulsiveShopper wrote: Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone can help me out. I'm a temp and have been since October. I was really hoping to have gotten my 480hrs by now to get some of the uniform. However, that day has not come yet. I was hoping that someone from here would be able to help me with giving me an older jacket they may have or a nice warm Canada post hat. I know some depots have a place where LCs leave their old clothes but I work out of Oshawa and there is basically slim pickings there and nothing that is my size. I'm an XL and it anyone could look around their depot or have a spare I would be forever grateful.

I can show proof that I work at Canada Post. If you would be willing to help me out, please DM me. I am willing to come travel anywhere in the Durham/ Toronto area.

Thank you,

Have a happy new year.
May 2, 2012
959 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
CompulsiveShopper wrote: Hey folks, is anyone able to help me out with this? If you could look around your depot or have anything yourself I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks
Have you tried contacting your local? Or even thought about leaving a note in the update book at your depot?
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
Possibly dumb question. I'm in new west. On my transfer form (I think that's what its called) I put

- Tri Cities (new west, port mood coquitlam) - Full Time Letter Carrier
- ditto part time
- full time plant
- part time plant.

Could I revise that and put every list in the general area. So, for example..

Tri cities FT LC
Vancouver FT LC
Burnaby FT LC
North Van FT LC
Tri Cities PT LC

and so on.. the names of the lists might be wrong but you get the idea.

Is that possible?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2295 posts
1719 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jmomccxx wrote: Possibly dumb question. I'm in new west. On my transfer form (I think that's what its called) I put

- Tri Cities (new west, port mood coquitlam) - Full Time Letter Carrier
- ditto part time
- full time plant
- part time plant.

Could I revise that and put every list in the general area. So, for example..

Tri cities FT LC
Vancouver FT LC
Burnaby FT LC
North Van FT LC
Tri Cities PT LC

and so on.. the names of the lists might be wrong but you get the idea.

Is that possible?
Don't quote me on it, but I am pretty sure that you can't pick "zones". You have to put FT LC, PT LC, FT DA, PT DA etc. in whatever order you desire. When the position comes up in your CURRENT zone, you will be notified. Transferring out to a seperate zone is a entirely different form.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: Don't quote me on it, but I am pretty sure that you can't pick "zones". You have to put FT LC, PT LC, FT DA, PT DA etc. in whatever order you desire. When the position comes up in your CURRENT zone, you will be notified. Transferring out to a seperate zone is a entirely different form.
This is correct.

That being said, you can also submit the form to transfer to another zone. Before doing this, I'd ask your staffing person what number you would be on the list for each zone if you were to transfer. They might also have other insights for you as to which list will be the fastest route to perm.
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
digression wrote: This is correct.

That being said, you can also submit the form to transfer to another zone. Before doing this, I'd ask your staffing person what number you would be on the list for each zone if you were to transfer. They might also have other insights for you as to which list will be the fastest route to perm.
Thanks guys. I thought this might be how it works but wasn't sure. When you say staffing person, do you mean in your depot or the person who phones?
Jan 11, 2012
177 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Probably 90% of the time that I do see the post man it is almost dark or late afternoon. I am kind of surprised the work is such that he is reaching our street 4, 5, or even 6 PM.
Aug 16, 2006
372 posts
70 upvotes
cookie333 wrote: Does your offer of employment say that you are required to have commercial coverage? Check with your new supervisor as to what is exactly required. In Ontario OCRE RSMCs are not required to have commercial coverage, but must have 1M liability and inform the insurance company how they are using the car. Commercial coverage is not required.

From Canada Post

Vehicle Insurance
As a condition of hiring and of continued employment, you will be required to
provide, on a yearly basis, a copy of your certificate of the required automobile
liability insurance of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) inclusive per
occurrence for damages, including damage to the property of others and, when
authorized by law, for bodily injury and death. You will be required to maintain this
insurance at your own expense throughout your period of employment with Canada
Post.
You will be required to notify your insurance company as to the use of your vehicle
while employed with Canada Post as an RSMC. By accepting this offer, you are
acknowledging that the nature of the use of your vehicle has been disclosed to
your insurer

As soon as I told my insurer, they told me that they would not be able cover the vehicle. Canada Post might not require commercial insurance (although I thought I saw an official CP document somewhere stating that it is required), but if your insurance company discovered you were in an accident while delivering mail, they would have grounds for denying any claims.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a quote from the Co-operators and I talked with a RSMC I happened to run into yesterday. He said that he had commercial insurance with the Co-operators. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Jul 6, 2017
380 posts
288 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
baresi wrote: Probably 90% of the time that I do see the post man it is almost dark or late afternoon. I am kind of surprised the work is such that he is reaching our street 4, 5, or even 6 PM.
That's because of the heavy loads we have to deal with now. In addition to delivering probably the same amount of parcels as your local UPS or FedEx driver, we have to do mountains of flyers and all the regular mail.
I worked until 8 pm last night and all I delivered were parcels and 1/3 of the mail for the route!
Nov 18, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

Looking for help to pass the letter carrier interview. What kind of questions are typically asked and how does CP expect you to answer? I know they want to know why you want to work for CP and/or why you want to be a letter carrier. But I am wondering what types of answers they consider satisfactory and would help me to pass? What about customer service questions? Anyone recently gone through the process and can help me out?

Thanks!
Apr 27, 2016
26 posts
SOMEONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS!

Hello folks?

I actualy have a couple of questions to ask you senior folks, 1 I'm a casual po4 working in the plant and looking to move to a different province in the future but where I want to move I believe they don't have any plants but only depots , what should I be doing to transfer ?I will accept any other positions for my move if I have to , 2 is it better to put my transfer as a casual or became permenent and then put transfer ? 3 is there a place where I can look up the depots and plant locations nation wide? Also wanted to know if there is a proseessig plant in Fraser valley bc ?Abbotsford chilliwack mission ect .

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

jonesyjones