Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 23, 2011
274 posts
198 upvotes
toronto
Hi guys I got a question, what do you guys wear in terms of gloves in these -20 C weather? I layer up the other parts of the body and wear a bank robber mask double layered on top of my head. Not sure what is the optimal solution for gloves as well as the facial area. Thank you very much.
Apr 12, 2011
701 posts
567 upvotes
Etobicoke
fishhunting wrote: Hi guys I got a question, what do you guys wear in terms of gloves in these -20 C weather? I layer up the other parts of the body and wear a bank robber mask double layered on top of my head. Not sure what is the optimal solution for gloves as well as the facial area. Thank you very much.
I have yet to find any good gloves.. Most are too bulky to be handling the PDT and thin flyers/letters.

The best solution I have found (someone gave this tip in this thread!) is to wear latex thin gloves underneath a pair of cheap knit gloves that you can buy from Walmart etc for $1.
Most days, these types of gloves are good enough on their own without the latex glove underneath...
The only problem is, I burn through 1-2 pairs each week. Like I said, there is no good solution!

For the face, I find a thin layer of vaseline on my exposed skin helps a bit (another tip from this thread, thanks!)
Oct 19, 2017
62 posts
45 upvotes
fishhunting wrote: Hi guys I got a question, what do you guys wear in terms of gloves in these -20 C weather? I layer up the other parts of the body and wear a bank robber mask double layered on top of my head. Not sure what is the optimal solution for gloves as well as the facial area. Thank you very much.
I wear theses fishing gloves w/thinsulate that are wind proof and supposedly water-proof as well. Inside fleece-like gloves with outer shell mitt-like that can flip over to expose much needed gloved fingers for dexterity. I put hand warmer pouch inside zippered back of flip-over outer shell mitt on my left hand & the other pouch in my right palm...between the outer & inner layer. Got them at Bass Pro...works great! Still need to keep your loops short so can get warm inside transit.
May 2, 2012
958 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
I wear a pair of the cheap $ store gloves underneath wool flip mittens/gloves. I haven’t been cold enough to try the latex gloves, but that would probably keep them even warmer. If you get the right sizes, you can squeeze a hand warmer in there too.

My face isn’t to sensitive to the cold/wind, but if it gets really cold I wear the corporate balaclava with a set of sunglasses and it’s worked nicely.
Dec 8, 2017
113 posts
38 upvotes
jadoo2015 wrote: SOMEONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS!

Hello folks?

I actualy have a couple of questions to ask you senior folks, 1 I'm a casual po4 working in the plant and looking to move to a different province in the future but where I want to move I believe they don't have any plants but only depots , what should I be doing to transfer ?I will accept any other positions for my move if I have to , 2 is it better to put my transfer as a casual or became permenent and then put transfer ? 3 is there a place where I can look up the depots and plant locations nation wide? Also wanted to know if there is a proseessig plant in Fraser valley bc ?Abbotsford chilliwack mission ect .
I think if you call access hr they can send you a list of all cupw offices.
You can put in a change call in list form to wherever you like in the country. You can put one in to as many places as you want
They only have to give a offer to change lists if they are hiring new temps, you have to be offered first.
You should find out where you would be on the temp list in the new town etc before you accept. It also wouldn’t hurt to ask what the seniority of the top couple of temps are so you can get a idea of how long it it takes to get permanent there. As you know there is no guarantee on hours .
Once you change lists you cannot change again for one year unless of course you get permanent.
Depots have Po4s not just plants.
Nobody can tell if it is better to transfer as a temp or wait to you get permanent. How badly do you want to be in that area?
Where are you on your current list? Are you close to getting permanent now?
You can put in your change your call list form which is different then a transfer to permanent form and do your due diligence.
Trying to get permanent can be a crap shoot no one knows which would be the best route for you.
Apr 27, 2016
26 posts
Postie2, Thank you v much for all that info,much appreciated.
i just got hired in Oct and v low on seniority in my current station, people with around 2 years plus of seniority are still waiting to get permanent here.
Apr 27, 2016
26 posts
How you find out how many hours you work with Canada post in totel by looking at your pay stub? I tried didn't work for me ?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1223 posts
332 upvotes
Westside
Send me a PM if you'd like and I'll give you some info.
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote: Thanks guys. I thought this might be how it works but wasn't sure. When you say staffing person, do you mean in your depot or the person who phones?
The person who phones you.

I'd also ask around locally - as in other LC's. Word travels fast at CP. :)
Dec 4, 2016
15 posts
7 upvotes
jadoo2015 wrote: Postie2, Thank you v much for all that info,much appreciated.
i just got hired in Oct and v low on seniority in my current station, people with around 2 years plus of seniority are still waiting to get permanent here.
If you’re at PPC, it is not a 2 year wait to get permanent. Terms that got hired in April 2017 got permanent in August 2017. I transferred from LC to PO4 and got perm 10 days after transferring to PPC
Nov 7, 2017
109 posts
9 upvotes
I guess between now and January 15, Causal Postal Clerk at plants will have very little calls to go in.....
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
captaincanuck9 wrote: I guess between now and January 15, Causal Postal Clerk at plants will have very little calls to go in.....
Still getting call daily but volume has significantly decreased.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1708 posts
156 upvotes
onatrio
that was fun delivering the flyers when its freezing out there and best of all HALF the amount we got from last week...im guessing now that we are getting paid less per flyer..flyers will be more than ever in the next little while,as did not get many last week...on a side note today getting more scannables than I did at Christmas...also with tons of parcels,,anyone else coming this weekend to do parcels
Apr 27, 2016
26 posts
Damncroissants wrote: If you’re at PPC, it is not a 2 year wait to get permanent. Terms that got hired in April 2017 got permanent in August 2017. I transferred from LC to PO4 and got perm 10 days after transferring to PPC
I'm in prairie region and would like to transfer to fraser valley bc , do you know if there is any plant around Fraser valley other then Richmond?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)