Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
raamman wrote: yeah I had that when I started w msc,
why ? during rush hour when they were ripping up the gardner

give me the helicopter- I snapped back- and instead of trying harder, I went safer
Exactly. Travel time in rush hour = OT!
Apr 24, 2018
82 posts
52 upvotes
start with checking the 075's for your route. it will give you your time values for your route and the overall time assessed. not many routes come in at 480 but you can check the 075 for that information. the shop steward should have a copy or the supervisor can print one. they should be posted in the station
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
great info..so what is the difference between 038 and 075
thanks
FrankW77994 wrote: start with checking the 075's for your route. it will give you your time values for your route and the overall time assessed. not many routes come in at 480 but you can check the 075 for that information. the shop steward should have a copy or the supervisor can print one. they should be posted in the station
Apr 30, 2015
906 posts
706 upvotes
York, ON
075 give you the total values for all walks at the station, for example it shows you the total assessed time, load/unload time, sort time, and outside time of all the walks, great for picking routes
Aug 21, 2010
704 posts
277 upvotes
toronto
anyone knows how much canda post covers for PSYCHIATRISTS for the year
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
your best bet wrote: anyone knows how much canda post covers for PSYCHIATRISTS for the year
Psychiatrists are only billed through OHIP. Psychologists are covered up to $800/year. You need a Physician referral.
Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Does 17.04 OT show up on your ESS schedule like 15.08 does?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1815 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
Not if it's input properly, you need to ask your staffer to see his spreadsheet. Most lazy staffers will put your 1704 OT as a 1508, which will show up. The issue is if they assess the OT breakdown for the station it'll show your route as consistently running overtime and they may ask questions.
Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: Not if it's input properly, you need to ask your staffer to see his spreadsheet. Most lazy staffers will put your 1704 OT as a 1508, which will show up. The issue is if they assess the OT breakdown for the station it'll show your route as consistently running overtime and they may ask questions.
Thanks. I normally just do 15.08 and then I verify that it was input on ESS. I've caught out a few supervisors that way!
I've done carry-over sections on my own route after all this bad weather and was told to put it down as 17.04 on the form. Guess I'll have to figure it out from my pay stub.
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone got called back from delivery due to snow storm today at South Ontario region?
Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
Flyhigh22 wrote: Anyone got called back from delivery due to snow storm today at South Ontario region?
Was expecting them to call us back but never got the call.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
icexman83 wrote: Was expecting them to call us back but never got the call.
Same here. The roads were terrible and every tripping hazard was unable to be seen. I couldn't even see where the sidewalk met the curb. Lots of close calls today. Couple that with being assigned a Chevy cargo van with all season tires and rear wheel drive. White knuckled it most of the day.
Nov 10, 2018
27 posts
6 upvotes
New record for me in my year long career as a term. 10 sets of flyers today. Ten **** sets. Felt like such a creep going down the streets and throwing all that trash into people's boxes. Thank god I switched to a PT station last fall, doing another winter on all foot walks I'd probably want to KMS lol.

Luckily I happened to be quite familiar with the route I was dumped on for this week so I was able to break it down into mini loops with mini bundles.

The supervisor said the flyer volume we had today was like every day for the larger city depots. Any truth to that? Probably an exageration at least, doubt they have 8-10 sets every day.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
I thought for sure as well ..would get called back as it was unsafe the roads...my depot is in an industrial area and nearly 2 transport trucks nearly hit me...scary....
Flyhigh22 wrote: Anyone got called back from delivery due to snow storm today at South Ontario region?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2345 posts
1756 upvotes
at the chiropractors
KaleMerrier wrote: New record for me in my year long career as a term. 10 sets of flyers today. Ten **** sets. Felt like such a creep going down the streets and throwing all that trash into people's boxes. Thank god I switched to a PT station last fall, doing another winter on all foot walks I'd probably want to KMS lol.

Luckily I happened to be quite familiar with the route I was dumped on for this week so I was able to break it down into mini loops with mini bundles.

The supervisor said the flyer volume we had today was like every day for the larger city depots. Any truth to that? Probably an exageration at least, doubt they have 8-10 sets every day.
yeah, you would be wrong. Although light the last week or two, 6-10 sets is probably normal. I am pretty sure that my record was 23 sets for one day. 10 is peanuts... sorry...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
well, if you ask me the union really should be there for all to collectively state conditions are hazardous and put a firm stop to working in unsafe conditions- I took a personal day to avoid the risk.
I commend those of you who made the effort- it is a shame there is no hazard pay in the contract. For me, it just wasnt worth it
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
If it’s unsafe to drive and there are tripping hazards that you can’t see, go immediately back to the depot. I don’t know what you guys are thinking taking chances for Canada post. **** that noise.
Jan 13, 2013
559 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver
KaleMerrier wrote: New record for me in my year long career as a term. 10 sets of flyers today. Ten **** sets.

I've had up to 21 with an average of 15 or so. I'd be skipping and laughing with 10 sets.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1815 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
I've maxed out at 16 flyers for apartments, on a foot walk. 3 bags per building. You can feel when welfare day is coming to apartments, food and grocery flyers galore. Yet the realtors continue to spam apartment and lower income areas with their garbage - no one living in ghetto Surrey is looking to drop $2M on a tear down, sorry out-of-touch realtor.

Right now I run 5-10 on my sleepy footwalk. Volume seems down from last year, I'm not sure if its the impending housing crash or the result of postal code spray mailers (F U Capital One).
Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Admail has seemed low lately. My record for houses was 15 sets in North Van. Most I've had in East Van is 12 sets. Sometimes that includes community centre programs, CT min catalogs etc. so it gets pretty heavy.

We just got slammed with Yellow Pages. They've been shuffling them all over the depot in IDCs for a while now but some of us finally had them show up at our cases today. Most routes have a full IDC, some two, and they told us we have until tomorrow to deliver them!
At the very least it would be overburdening and big time OT, and that would be without the regular mail. If they expect us to deliver these things plus our regular mail, parcels and admail they're going to have to wait a while!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

jonesyjones, TonyS44950, ichigo9dan