Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
raamman wrote: well, if you ask me the union really should be there for all to collectively state conditions are hazardous and put a firm stop to working in unsafe conditions- I took a personal day to avoid the risk.
I commend those of you who made the effort- it is a shame there is no hazard pay in the contract. For me, it just wasnt worth it
There is a collectively bargained clause in the CA which allows for this (33.13). The problem with blanket assertions that, “conditions are hazardous” is that the definition of a hazard is wildly subjective.

Each of us do this every day with a variety of scenarios:

1) is that dog tethered in a yard safe? If you don’t know the dog, no. Maybe you see the dog every day, it’s friendly and even give it a treat?

2) are those stairs with a cm of snow on them safe? Could you fall? Is there ice under the snow? Are they tile or stamped concrete? Maybe you wear cleats, or just feel confident that by taking your time you can use them safely. Maybe not.

3) it’s starting to get dark and visibility is low. Do you know the area? Do you feel confident you can walk up and down stairs with the limited visibility? Do you wear a headlamp? Does the headlamp give you sufficient light? Maybe not.

4) driving conditions are bad. Do you take public transit? Is your route to work safe? Is your delivery area far from the depot and clear? Are your POC mainly indoors?

The only real exception is when there’s something like the ice storm we received in the GTA recently, or one of those snowstorms which persists through the day and authorities close, or advise you to stay off roads. Even then, you make the decision that is safe for YOU.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1021 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
raamman wrote: well, if you ask me the union really should be there for all to collectively state conditions are hazardous and put a firm stop to working in unsafe conditions- I took a personal day to avoid the risk.
I commend those of you who made the effort- it is a shame there is no hazard pay in the contract. For me, it just wasnt worth it
Yep, we should only work on sunny days......
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
I'd feel bad calling in so some poor term has to trudge my route in poor conditions. Much easier to just do 2 sections carefully and call it a day.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
mikebc wrote: I'd feel bad calling in so some poor term has to trudge my route in poor conditions. Much easier to just do 2 sections carefully and call it a day.
More than likely one of two things:

1/ Term gets put on your walk and does 30% of it -------> You're screwed next day.
2/ Nobody does it at all coz 7 people took a day off -------> You're screwed next day.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 5, 2014
274 posts
295 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
3/ Scammers take your section out, sluff 3/4 of it and throw it in turn around. I'm almost at the point now where I just say leave it for me until tomorrow.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
Slotstuffer wrote: 3/ Scammers take your section out, sluff 3/4 of it and throw it in turn around. I'm almost at the point now where I just say leave it for me until tomorrow.
Last personal day I took off, I said this to my staffing supervisor. I told him not to stress about it and I'd do it all the next day. It's quite a complicated route, so when a rookie does do it, it's a mess the next day. Lots of tie outs brought back and still in bundles, plus the errors outside, having to listen to customers whining lol.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
Oh man talk about complaints. I had 6 Korean priority kimchi boxes near the end of my route so I took a step van and did my C day first. By the end of day I was probably an hour behind schedule finishing up pink, I still got comments on how I was "late" (and not in a coy way, they were annoyed). According to the header I should be here at 3:30 not 1:00, shut your damn entitled mouths! Stupid secretaries with nothing better to do than time my day. God forbid I take a holiday and your whole day gets screwed up because your flyers are late.
Nov 10, 2018
27 posts
6 upvotes
That's insane that some people are getting 20 sets of flyers. Doesn't just prepping that alone have a time value of like 2 hours? I'm so confused how that even works...
Apr 12, 2011
711 posts
579 upvotes
Etobicoke
KaleMerrier wrote: That's insane that some people are getting 20 sets of flyers. Doesn't just prepping that alone have a time value of like 2 hours? I'm so confused how that even works...
At my station, most people prep flyers for tomorrow at the end of the day. You are correct, anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours is what it usually takes. Some guys get back early and prep as fast as they can because they just want to go home. Others take their sweet time and book OT almost every day. For me, it depends on how many sets I have. On average we are getting 7-10 sets per day to deliver here... Most I've had was 16-17? Never 20 sets, but I believe it..
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1021 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
fishscale4sale wrote: At my station, most people prep flyers for tomorrow at the end of the day. You are correct, anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours is what it usually takes. Some guys get back early and prep as fast as they can because they just want to go home. Others take their sweet time and book OT almost every day. For me, it depends on how many sets I have. On average we are getting 7-10 sets per day to deliver here... Most I've had was 16-17? Never 20 sets, but I believe it..
I have 1 flyer for Monday. Life is good.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2340 posts
1751 upvotes
at the chiropractors
KaleMerrier wrote: That's insane that some people are getting 20 sets of flyers. Doesn't just prepping that alone have a time value of like 2 hours? I'm so confused how that even works...
When I said 23 was my record, that was a very unusual event. More typically between 6-10. But yes, there was A LOT OF OVERTIME put in for that week by everybody, including myself who is always done early. I took my breaks, and delivered like a normal person for that week. Like hell I was busting my ass so that I could spend 2 hours prepping flyers for free. The thing is, when they do crap like that to us, and everybody puts in O/T as a result, how can they possibly even make money on the flyer delivery. They would have been better off financially just refusing them all......lol
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2340 posts
1751 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote: I have 1 flyer for Monday. Life is good.
Think I saw 5..... 1 is almost worse. Going to houses with no mail and one flyer.......grrrrrrrrrr
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Nov 10, 2018
27 posts
6 upvotes
@timetotellthetruth
Ah, ok I see. That's still more than us, we're basically a city next to a bigger city and it's lots of suburban neighbourhoods. Hard to say what the actual average is but we often get 2-4 flyers, max is usually 6-7 and we're not very happy when that happens.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote: Yep, we should only work on sunny days......
As a term, I really needed the shift and pay that comes with it. I did my best, and they even sent me back out there to close a panel that wasn't even left open.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
So yesterday, I did my first foot walk in an old school depot (Non-PT) . A relief for the depot sorted and pulled it, I collated. The relief put all of the flyers in with the mail, it was amazing. Having said that, this section of town was fairly run down and came with a bad rep. At least 50% of the houses had not even looked at a shovel to clear the snow that fell 2 days prior but I could smell the folks living inside enjoying their legal green.

In total it was a 37,000 step day, 26.5kms and 60 floors. I am sore today, but it was the first shift in a while that I had a full route. Also, it was outside of my zone as the staffer added me to another list in case the other zone exhausts their term list....as they have been for a while now.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
timetotellthetruth wrote: When I said 23 was my record, that was a very unusual event. More typically between 6-10. But yes, there was A LOT OF OVERTIME put in for that week by everybody, including myself who is always done early. I took my breaks, and delivered like a normal person for that week. Like hell I was busting my ass so that I could spend 2 hours prepping flyers for free. The thing is, when they do crap like that to us, and everybody puts in O/T as a result, how can they possibly even make money on the flyer delivery. They would have been better off financially just refusing them all......lol
That and its just a matter of time before some municipalities take a stance against all the waste. A few years ago Halifax was close to passing an "opt in" law regarding flyers, meaning you wouldn't be allowed to deliver flyers to anybody unless they called a number and opted in.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
ocallaghand wrote: In total it was a 37,000 step day, 26.5kms and 60 floors.
Damn. There's no way they pulled it with a cheat sheet. Pre PT our longest footwalk (19 km?) had 4 km cut off it by pulling it properly.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1021 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote: Damn. There's no way they pulled it with a cheat sheet. Pre PT our longest footwalk (19 km?) had 4 km cut off it by pulling it properly.
Yep, mine is 14.7 the way I pull it, plus crossing lawns. It's actually an amazing winter here since I can still use my shortcuts since there's so little snow cover.
Mar 1, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone who began in an on call letter carrier recently in Winnipeg and could share the experience so far?
May 21, 2013
823 posts
374 upvotes
Montreal
ran out of personal days a long time ago, I wonder how many unpaid ones I can keep using until the boss says something lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Coren