Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12267 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
TonyS25102 wrote: Faster them machines killing our jobs, our union keeps on killing our backs, with heavier flyers for less money, and wanting day routers so we can get even longer walks... my complaint is about killing our backs for less, at least kill our backs but make us wealthy!
The union wants to keep the numbers up, so the trade-off of the reduced flyer pay was more positions, which I have seen first hand this year, our depot gained walks when everyone thought we'd lose some. And as for wanting day routers, c'mon, the union is vehemently against that shit. People think the union has the power to stop anything, but in reality it doesn't.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: The union wants to keep the numbers up, so the trade-off of the reduced flyer pay was more positions, which I have seen first hand this year, our depot gained walks when everyone thought we'd lose some. And as for wanting day routers, c'mon, the union is vehemently against that shit. People think the union has the power to stop anything, but in reality it doesn't.
The union doesn't know and never did know what it wants except to be against world views that most Canadian people support.

Their electric vehicle, save the earth charade is a huge joke on us. When will they protest the incredible damage to the environment caused by us delivering flyers ????

Not anytime soon I'd imagine, but of Palestine and Cuba is so important to Canadian posties right? Jokesters, but the joke is on us paying$90 a month for their out of touch propoganda.
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: The union wants to keep the numbers up, so the trade-off of the reduced flyer pay was more positions
What union negotiates lower pay for its members? Doesn't matter if it creates 27 jobs, that's just more dues for CUPW to blow.

Bottom line, we get paid less for the same work.
That's not called negotiation, that's called selling out your members. Pouting Face
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12267 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
Otrosky101 wrote: What union negotiates lower pay for its members? Doesn't matter if it creates 27 jobs, that's just more dues for CUPW to blow.
Corpse had it's way, it would be 27 less jobs, so union may have saved those 27 jobs.

Believe me when I say I'm no union hack, so I absolutely agree with you on the 'green' shit and the support of every goddamn left wing cause going. I think they got too big for their boots somewhere along the line and should just focus on the work they can for members.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Corpse had it's way, it would be 27 less jobs, so union may have saved those 27 jobs.

Believe me when I say I'm no union hack, so I absolutely agree with you on the 'green' shit and the support of every goddamn left wing cause going. I think they got too big for their boots somewhere along the line and should just focus on the work they can for members.
And I totally agree with you. Just pissed cause only letter carriers got a pay cut last contract. Plant workers, LCAs and union executive didn't get a cutPouting Face
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1064 posts
560 upvotes
moncton
That robot looks a lot like the pizza delivery robot in an episode of Black Mirror, I think it ran over and killed a homeless person in memory serves.
Jan 16, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
Im a p04 casual going on 8 months. I really enjoy the job and the plant that I work at. Can someone explain the process of becoming part time? I know im probably a long way away from that happening but id like to know about it if possible, much thanks in advanced!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1713 posts
161 upvotes
onatrio
i would not bother looking for your 038, in my case in was we did not have it with our edit book and it was like pulling teeth, reqesting for it through management,,and than finally received as I wanted to see the rpo clearance time I get as well as putting away rpo parcels when I get back and it was way off....rpo time value was only 5 minutes and on a Monday it takes 30 minutes to clear and on average tues to Friday its 15 minutes to clear,,,and when putting all parcels a way from rpo pickup Monday 20 minutes to distribute and tues-friday 10 minutes on average and they has no time value for me putting away parcels when I get back, as this wiped out any chance of me having a lunch or break daily..as when you have a 300 business route mostly drop off with transit and 500 residential cmbs..and go go go..and they keep adding more to the route..work 8 hours straight no breaks..
gotwgoty wrote: Maybe, I need to do more research on the gate. I have a buzzer number for the side gate but I've never used it. Do you think that would open the big gate as well? Where do I find my 038?
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
MattC74520 wrote: Im a p04 casual going on 8 months. I really enjoy the job and the plant that I work at. Can someone explain the process of becoming part time? I know im probably a long way away from that happening but id like to know about it if possible, much thanks in advanced!
PO4 has near 0% turn over, and a long queue of Letter Carrier waiting to be transfer inside

Depends on where you are, the plant I had worked takes about 8 years to become part time,
another 10-20 for full time.

The last casual PO4 got hired into part-time was in 2012.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1804 posts
1998 upvotes
BC
Yeah I think if you are new and want inside work your best bet is going group 2 LCA and working parcels in a depot or a PT shift doing a 3-7 RPO shuttle run. Of course you'll have to work outside until something comes up.

PT IA is hard to get, as is FT PO4. Getting both at the same time is probably much harder. Unless you get injury accommodated into a registration / DRS PO4 cover, but sticking your toes under a mono probably isn't worth it.
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Yeah I think if you are new and want inside work your best bet is going group 2 LCA and working parcels in a depot or a PT shift doing a 3-7 RPO shuttle run. Of course you'll have to work outside until something comes up.

PT IA is hard to get, as is FT PO4. Getting both at the same time is probably much harder. Unless you get injury accommodated into a registration / DRS PO4 cover, but sticking your toes under a mono probably isn't worth it.
CUPW will come out and make all of you to wear steel-toe.

Have fun walking in those.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2333 posts
1742 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Slotstuffer wrote: The days for this job are numbered... 10 years at most I bet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digita ... bot/%3famp
hahahaha, you have got to be kidding. So all the seniors have to get a phone, so that they can be notified by app to go get their own mail.....lol. Suuuuuuuure.
2- Ummmmm, households also now have to make sure that there is someone home when the robot comes by. I guess no more dual income houses, or running to the grocery store!!!
3- Can hardly wait to see that sucker navigate through 2 feet of snow !!!! LOL, Maybe a robot tow truck will come to help it get unstuck every 2 feet......
4- Look at those nice smooth streets and sloped edge to the sidewalk? Do your streets and sidewalks all look like that?
5- Speaking of sidewalks, it is motorized and would not be allowed to be on them.......which means it would be on the streets. At 6 km per hour....lol

People have been saying that our job is going to obsolete for a decade already because of the internet. Revenues are higher now than ever. Parcels are replacing letter mail (which the robot can't deliver either). Canada Post has job listings for a 1000 employees that they can't keep. Don't worry, you will be retiring with your full pension.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1804 posts
1998 upvotes
BC
leyland1989 wrote: CUPW will come out and make all of you to wear steel-toe.

Have fun walking in those.
Lol they're one step ahead of you, they have these slip on toe caps they make you wear if you're working anywhere near a mono or jack in a depot. Even if you're just sorting magazines.
May 21, 2013
823 posts
374 upvotes
Montreal
mail is def not getting delivered in Toronto today lol
Jun 16, 2019
27 posts
6 upvotes
Im pretty new with Canada Post. Why do they give letters to Parcel Delivery routes and Parcels to Walking routes?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1804 posts
1998 upvotes
BC
KeCoMtL wrote: Im pretty new with Canada Post. Why do they give letters to Parcel Delivery routes and Parcels to Walking routes?
Each footwalk has a partner, called a mobile, who will do their own route and their footwalk's parcels (and bags). The footwalk will take packets and small parcels ("A/Os") up to a certain size. The mobile will take everything else. Footwalks used to be harder as a result, but with the increase in parcels now mobile routes are typically more difficult to do. When I started at Canada Post, a mobile route generally took an hour less outside than the foot walk but had a longer sort. Now it seems that footwalks just have it easier all around, except for the whole walking 25+ km a day thing that destroys your body.

The partner system is an outdated delivery method that was slowly being changed to each carrier doing everything for themselves. At the moment, conversion to "PT" (postal transformation) has been put on hold since Canada Post is no longer taking away door-to-door.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1713 posts
161 upvotes
onatrio
not sure how it is in other depots but on my walk I get Ulines every week as I have 300 businesses in my walk..and the day after delivering these heavey ulines...I have lower back pain...curious if any others get this pain...what medication would you recommend so don't get the pain..as well funny how few years ago when had a restructure there was not one uline in our 2 week count...geeze
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12267 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: not sure how it is in other depots but on my walk I get Ulines every week as I have 300 businesses in my walk..and the day after delivering these heavey ulines...I have lower back pain...curious if any others get this pain...what medication would you recommend so don't get the pain..as well funny how few years ago when had a restructure there was not one uline in our 2 week count...geeze
You're going to do yourself permanent injury if you continue with this.

Maybe ask to have uline as a 3 day delivery, it's called load levelling for a reason. Tell supers exactly why and have a
union rep with you as a witness, they'll shit themselves and agree. If they don't and you wanna push it ( I bigtime would) then refuse to
do the work under Art 33.13 of the collective Agreement.

Can you use a cart?

As for drugs, Costco has a 'muscle and back' painkiller which works very well.

You should also ice your back after work and that evening, to slow down any inflammation.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1804 posts
1998 upvotes
BC
I always kill duplicates, anything that resembles an incorrect unit number and businesses that have moved. If the business is in a panel and it's over half full I'll kill it with a "box full" note. The problem is that they're addressed admail, so when you kill them they don't get RTSed. You can ask businesses if they actually want these things and tell them to phone ULine and cancel their subscription. I know which businesses don't want them and I'll kill those at the case, but that really depends on your relationship with your supervisor because you can get disciplined for that. I had green dots on my case strips denoting whos to kill when I had my business route.

Otherwise, make smaller loops, use a cart and go to a 3 or 5 day delivery.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Madmax29, gotwgoty