Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 8, 2017
114 posts
38 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote: How do I find the dental plan number? I only got sent the extended health card and drug card.
It is the same plan # for all of us. When you are on the groupnet site, click on coverage and balances , then dental. You will see the plan # there.

I think you should double check it here just so you can see exactly what dental coverage is available for your wife at this point since she is newly added.
Jun 8, 2019
467 posts
202 upvotes
Thanks guys. Got on the site and figured out what she was covered on before she got to the dentist. Went as planned.
Jun 16, 2019
27 posts
6 upvotes
Anyone order the “Summer Hip Belt” for satchel? Do you find it makes a difference or just a waste of 20 points?
Jun 16, 2019
27 posts
6 upvotes
mikebc wrote: They do sell a sunhat. It looks idiotic, but, it's there.
The straw hat? I ordered one as I can’t stand this heat!
Jan 5, 2014
274 posts
295 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Apparently some depots out west are moving to a 4 day week 10 hour shifts as a "trial project" They plan on implementation in about 6 odd weeks. I am at a loss for words...
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote: Apparently some depots out west are moving to a 4 day week 10 hour shifts as a "trial project" They plan on implementation in about 6 odd weeks. I am at a loss for words...
Huh, Monday to Thursday, Tuesday to Friday?? Or split shifts??

Canada Post and it's never ending experiments, which almost always flop and just waste money.
Jan 13, 2013
556 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver
Otrosky101 wrote: Huh, Monday to Thursday, Tuesday to Friday?? Or split shifts??

Canada Post and it's never ending experiments, which almost always flop and just waste money.
Everyone will work Mondays and only some will get Fridays off. I'd be all over a 4 day week but only if it were a 3 day weekend.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2337 posts
1745 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Otrosky101 wrote: Huh, Monday to Thursday, Tuesday to Friday?? Or split shifts??

How much do you want to bet that injuries on the street go up? Most of the workforce is exhausted after the 8 hour shift.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: How much do you want to bet that injuries on the street go up? Most of the workforce is exhausted after the 8 hour shift.....
Yep, especially if they do this to foot walks.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12272 posts
3543 upvotes
GTA
Fkin ridiculous. We're saying we're overburdened and they turn around and offer 10 hour days. Prcks.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
161 upvotes
onatrio
curious how that would work 10 hours..so a fulltime route plus doing a split im guessing...
as well how did the night router experiment work out
Slotstuffer wrote: Apparently some depots out west are moving to a 4 day week 10 hour shifts as a "trial project" They plan on implementation in about 6 odd weeks. I am at a loss for words...
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1806 posts
2000 upvotes
BC
Well in the US with 6 day delivery they've got 1 person who covers 5 routes each day off. So an RLC or a new position type would cover walk 100 on Monday, 101 on Tuesday, 102 on Wednesday, 104 on Thursday.

Good **** luck if you're the term covering that RLC's holiday. At least you can go into OT on an 8 hour shift, can you imagine if they don't roll back start times? 10 - 8 PM? Gooooood luck buddy. What will they do, give a term 4 outside sections? They can't do 3 as it is. So get used to coming back from your day off and seeing 2 sections brought back. This was the item of outrage at our depot once people found out about this pilot project. The quality of your route now depends entirely on the competency of the person covering your RDO.

In a perfect (corporate) world where no one got sick, took holidays and performed with competence this might look good on paper. In reality this whole thing sounds stupid except for people who get Friday off. When we asked management for more information they had no idea this was even scheduled, apparently our zone was shortlisted for this trial. Fingers crossed we dodge it. It looks like it's happening in Royal (New Westminster) so far.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12272 posts
3543 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: curious how that would work 10 hours..so a fulltime route plus doing a split im guessing...
as well how did the night router experiment work out
Every 3 LCs own 4 routes, plus x amount of reliefs per station. Everyone works Monday, then each LC takes a day off each week.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 16, 2006
76 posts
19 upvotes
The project is happening at 3 stations. Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge and Burnaby

They are saying it'll be about 40% 4x10 and the rest will be regular 5x8 routes.

There will be no volume count, it'll be going live in October.

Not a lot of info is out. They said they will be graphs to show us how it will be working next week.

What they are explaining is monday you won't be delivering all your mail. Instead you willl mainly focus on parcels and you'll be playing mail catchup during the rest of the week.

The union is all for this project
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1806 posts
2000 upvotes
BC
Coren wrote: you won't be delivering all your mail.
We get weekly reminders about delay of mail. So when we do it, it's a 5 day then dismissal. When they do it, oh no worries folks you'll get it tomorrow. Maybe.

If anything comes back, I want to see it to go up on emergency OT.
Aug 21, 2010
699 posts
275 upvotes
toronto
my guess for the 10 hour shift..as the job is already demanding on the body for an 8 hour shift and imagine the pounding of the body for a 10 hour shift, on the legs, back etc...im guessing the corporation wants the aging letter carriers or the carriers on the top pay scale to quit due to the pounding of the body with the new 10 hour shift so the corp can hire new employees with the new low pay scale
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
565 upvotes
moncton
In a business where you would think its beneficial for customer and employee alike to follow a set routine for years this company sure loves to change. I've been with them for about 4 years and have seen 4 restructures. Not to mention all these pilot projects, changing hours, etc.

The best is since I've started working in priority in the plant I find out that somebody had the brilliant idea to swap the "to" and "from" on the priority labels. Then when it became evident it was a total disaster (who could have seen that coming) they swapped back so both labels are in circulation right now. At least 10-20 times a shift I see an arrow written on the label pointing to the "to" address indicating that customer probably got his own package delivered to him.

Its amazing this company is even profitable with the idiots we have running it.
Apr 30, 2015
902 posts
700 upvotes
York, ON
jonny_fishead wrote: In a business where you would think its beneficial for customer and employee alike to follow a set routine for years this company sure loves to change. I've been with them for about 4 years and have seen 4 restructures. Not to mention all these pilot projects, changing hours, etc.

The best is since I've started working in priority in the plant I find out that somebody had the brilliant idea to swap the "to" and "from" on the priority labels. Then when it became evident it was a total disaster (who could have seen that coming) they swapped back so both labels are in circulation right now. At least 10-20 times a shift I see an arrow written on the label pointing to the "to" address indicating that customer probably got his own package delivered to him.

Its amazing this company is even profitable with the idiots we have running it.
This is what happens when you have craploads of management sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Reinventing the wheel is the only thing that gives these people work. We've been delivering mail for 150+ years. They're totally useless. Just for fun, look on intrapost and see all the different departments, officers and managers at Canada Post that have absolutely nothing to do with delivering mail. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Apr 30, 2015
902 posts
700 upvotes
York, ON
KeCoMtL wrote: Anyone order the “Summer Hip Belt” for satchel? Do you find it makes a difference or just a waste of 20 points?
It makes a huge difference. Get one now, I wear it all year round.
Aug 21, 2010
699 posts
275 upvotes
toronto
totally agree with you, they can easily mainstream all the different departmaents, officers and managers and they would make HUGE and i mean HUGE Savings, Im Sure if Doug Ford was President of Canada Post, It Would Happen...
tarjet wrote: This is what happens when you have craploads of management sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Reinventing the wheel is the only thing that gives these people work. We've been delivering mail for 150+ years. They're totally useless. Just for fun, look on intrapost and see all the different departments, officers and managers at Canada Post that have absolutely nothing to do with delivering mail. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

airmail