Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5408 posts
2114 upvotes
Winnipeg
jonny_fishead wrote: In a business where you would think its beneficial for customer and employee alike to follow a set routine for years this company sure loves to change. I've been with them for about 4 years and have seen 4 restructures. Not to mention all these pilot projects, changing hours, etc.

The best is since I've started working in priority in the plant I find out that somebody had the brilliant idea to swap the "to" and "from" on the priority labels. Then when it became evident it was a total disaster (who could have seen that coming) they swapped back so both labels are in circulation right now. At least 10-20 times a shift I see an arrow written on the label pointing to the "to" address indicating that customer probably got his own package delivered to him.

Its amazing this company is even profitable with the idiots we have running it.
Lol, yeah what was the reasoning behind the to and from change.
The double barcode on customs items is another one. Don’t scan the yellow one, only scan white one.

They also now have re-enactment teams that go out after an accident too. And a few union guys that drive around with mgmt tagging houses with safety hazards also.
And why are all the injuries happening around 3 to 4 in the afternoon??
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1818 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
Why do supervisors get 8 hour shifts? They're only needed to unlock keys. Outsource CRM reports and fire half of APOC.

Nah, that's unthinkable. But creating 6 part-time positions in a restructure? You betcha! Backfill them with terms because literally no one will work a 3-7 shift? No worries!
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Why do supervisors get 8 hour shifts? They're only needed to unlock keys. Outsource CRM reports and fire half of APOC.

Nah, that's unthinkable. But creating 6 part-time positions in a restructure? You betcha! Backfill them with terms because literally no one will work a 3-7 shift? No worries!
Unfortunately every depot has a few carriers who need babysitting, if Canada Post had put out the trash years ago then supervisors would have virtually nothing to do all day - they do very little as it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12277 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
Otrosky101 wrote: Unfortunately every depot has a few carriers who need babysitting, if Canada Post had put out the trash years ago then supervisors would have virtually nothing to do all day - they do very little as it is.
There have been numerous times when we've not had ANY supervisors for the whole day and the place ran perfectly. For the laugh one of those days, I called a mini meeting and took the piss out of the sups.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12277 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote: This is what happens when you have craploads of management sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Reinventing the wheel is the only thing that gives these people work. We've been delivering mail for 150+ years. They're totally useless. Just for fun, look on intrapost and see all the different departments, officers and managers at Canada Post that have absolutely nothing to do with delivering mail. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Met a lady through a mutual friend a few weeks ago, turned out she was from about 1km away from where I grew up ( in Europe) and works for CP in some marketing dept in downtown Toronto ( i.e. massive rents) and makes over $100k ( she was pretty loose with info as she was drunk lol). She's not even a manager ffs. I'm not saying CP doesn't need a marketing dept but I know the office and it's a whole floor in a very nice building, so there's more than likely a bunch of people there doing f all for 100k a year, meanwhile we slog our guts off for half that and they're always trying to screw us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1818 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
My supervisor needed my odometer reading once so I called him from the parking lot. No one answered so I walked inside, he was sleeping on his keyboard. A+ effort.

We regularly have 1 supervisor run staffing and a wave, they'll take turns doing evening closing, we even had a supervisor act as a superintendent and no one replaced his old position, he just did both. The low limits on how many routes a supervisor can cover are ridiculous and centered around pre-PT values. 1 supervisor should be able to oversee at least 50 walks if they're spread over 2 waves, not whatever the current low limit is.

They make a lot of money. We have 6 supervisors for 110 people. Bump up the cap and get some more work out of them so they feel the squeeze like we all do. If they're pulling $70k a year you could hire 3 terms to replace 1 of them or at the very least, award yourself a fat bonus onto your executive salary.
Apr 12, 2011
711 posts
579 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hugh Jass wrote: There have been numerous times when we've not had ANY supervisors for the whole day and the place ran perfectly. For the laugh one of those days, I called a mini meeting and took the piss out of the sups.
I see this one supervisor on facebook all the time lol. Sad...
Jun 8, 2019
471 posts
210 upvotes
Coren wrote: The project is happening at 3 stations. Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge and Burnaby

They are saying it'll be about 40% 4x10 and the rest will be regular 5x8 routes.

There will be no volume count, it'll be going live in October.

Not a lot of info is out. They said they will be graphs to show us how it will be working next week.

What they are explaining is monday you won't be delivering all your mail. Instead you willl mainly focus on parcels and you'll be playing mail catchup during the rest of the week.

The union is all for this project
Poco just had a restructure last year.

I am kind of down with 4x 10 tbh although it does kind of cut OT opportunities. When I do OT, I like to do two sections and thats impossible with an 10 hr day.
Jan 13, 2013
559 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver
tarjet wrote: It makes a huge difference. Get one now, I wear it all year round.
What's the difference between it and the regular one?
Oct 26, 2018
33 posts
17 upvotes
Sorry guys, been tryna contact the union for info, but alas, no response to my emails. Im a term with about a year with the company, Ive been working inside for 8-9 months, not modified, just the assignments Ive been given. They trained me on MMHE and Ive been covering the guys when they call in sick or take a weeks leave. Im working MMHE / the dock for the next two weeks as the main operator is on holiday. Is this a P05 position? is their starting hourly wage more than that of a night clerk? Am I entitled to that same hourly wage if Im covering the position? I know its mostly carriers in here, but just a shot in the dark, in case anyone has info / experience with this angle.

Thanks for any info ladies and gents.
Feb 20, 2019
202 posts
97 upvotes
Term here on a 3 month assignment. I need this coming Friday off, do I just tell my supervisor tomorrow? Can they deny it? I've had perfect attendance. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
SamPickles wrote: Sorry guys, been tryna contact the union for info, but alas, no response to my emails. Im a term with about a year with the company, Ive been working inside for 8-9 months, not modified, just the assignments Ive been given. They trained me on MMHE and Ive been covering the guys when they call in sick or take a weeks leave. Im working MMHE / the dock for the next two weeks as the main operator is on holiday. Is this a P05 position? is their starting hourly wage more than that of a night clerk? Am I entitled to that same hourly wage if Im covering the position? I know its mostly carriers in here, but just a shot in the dark, in case anyone has info / experience with this angle.

Thanks for any info ladies and gents.
Did they officially post it as an assignment? If so you should receive the bump in pay (if there is one, not sure if thats a P04 or P05 position).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2347 posts
1762 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Coren wrote:
The union is all for this project
If the union is all for it, chances are is that it is going to suck for the carriers. Just knowing that, makes me be against the idea. I don't even need to know the details.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2347 posts
1762 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jonny_fishead wrote:

The best is since I've started working in priority in the plant I find out that somebody had the brilliant idea to swap the "to" and "from" on the priority labels. Then when it became evident it was a total disaster (who could have seen that coming) they swapped back so both labels are in circulation right now. At least 10-20 times a shift I see an arrow written on the label pointing to the "to" address indicating that customer probably got his own package delivered to him.
Lol. Every carrier has probably thought the same thing! Return address on mail/ packages is on top for 100+ years and standardized. Some dingbat thinks we should take 1 product and switch them around. What could possibly go wrong? Lol. MORONS.
Last edited by timetotellthetruth on Jul 14th, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1818 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
PavementPounder wrote: Term here on a 3 month assignment. I need this coming Friday off, do I just tell my supervisor tomorrow? Can they deny it? I've had perfect attendance. Thanks.
Fill out a leave request form and get your wave or staffing supervisor to sign off on it. If you're floating it shouldn't be an issue, it depends on how good your relationship is with your supervisors. If one of them is a prick, see if the other one will sign it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1818 posts
2004 upvotes
BC
@SamPickles You mean running a stacker in a station on a graveyard shift? If you're in a depot that's group 2, you're classified as an LCA. Parcels are considered "letter carrier" work, only AOs constitute group 1 / po4 work. If you're in a plant then that'd be PO4 work, the best way would be to ask someone what their designation is when they come back off vacation. Terms can't flip between groups unless they're modified as far as I know.

I don't know if there's a pay bump for having a stacker ticket. I doubt it, it's probably just a requirement of the position.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
4x10 where one carrier owns the route would be debatable if its good or bad for us. 4x10 where several carriers do several routes in rotation would suck, there would be no way to cheat and get ahead on flyers, etc.

Letter carriers deserve more money than inside. The easiest way to make that happen is to give them shorter routes where you finish in 6 hours on average. Then you can choose to go home or take a piece of OT effectively giving you a better hourly rate. It seems like the corp is hell bent on making carriers work 8 hours, no more, no less, at all costs.
Jan 13, 2013
559 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver
Because I know nothing about life insurance, can anyone weigh in on the plan offered with CUPW?

They offer optional $250K+ $250K for around $35/month (based on a 40 year old non smoker). The coverage lasts until age 70 and is administered via Coughlin &Associates. I imagine I'd have to dig deep into the details to see its value, but off the top, is that a decent price for Life Insurance?

I don't have kids so I've never made LI a priority, but it seems like a good idea to have some.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2347 posts
1762 upvotes
at the chiropractors
biggerthanfun wrote: Because I know nothing about life insurance, can anyone weigh in on the plan offered with CUPW?

They offer optional $250K+ $250K for around $35/month (based on a 40 year old non smoker). The coverage lasts until age 70 and is administered via Coughlin &Associates. I imagine I'd have to dig deep into the details to see its value, but off the top, is that a decent price for Life Insurance?

I don't have kids so I've never made LI a priority, but it seems like a good idea to have some.
Establish your need first. #1 reason to have it is to help provide for children if you are to move on. #2 would be a wife. But if she has a decent job, does she/you really need it. #3 be wary of life insurance that has an end date. Life expectancy is over 70 so it is quite likely that you would be throwing your money away. You would be much better off opening an investment account and putting the $35 a month into that. If you last past 70, the money and gains remain yours! Die before that, and there will still be a nest egg there.... People make huge amounts of commission/ profit selling insurance of all types. Just think about that. You are paying much more than they are paying out.....

That being said, #3 may not be as important as ensuring for #1... But without having kids, I would recommend...no.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7644 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
KeCoMtL wrote: Anyone order the “Summer Hip Belt” for satchel? Do you find it makes a difference or just a waste of 20 points?
I got one. It's lighter weight and. Not as thick. More of a mesh padded belt. Recommended

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)