Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sr. Member
Apr 30, 2015
907 posts
710 upvotes
York, ON
Hey I wonder how that arbitration is going. Oh yeah it's not because the arbitrator is on month #2 of their holiday. That's great I don't need a raise this year at all and I totally am not having back issues from delivering gigantic flyers on a 1000 call walk. Hope they're having the time of their life while I'm walking around in 35 degree sunshine like a mule!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1829 posts
2017 upvotes
BC
Just double checking, Monday is a day off yeah?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1829 posts
2017 upvotes
BC
I ask because Canada Post is pretty weird at recognizing BC stat holidays. We don't get our "Family Day" (a provincial stat in February) off, nor do we get paid for it. Every year everyone on the floor has no idea if we're working August long or not and I'm currently on holiday. It's only a stat holiday in AB, BC, SK, ON, NB, NU, so, who the **** knows?

All I know is if Ontario gets it off, so do we.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2348 posts
1765 upvotes
at the chiropractors
leyland1989 wrote: congratulations everyone,
No IKEA catalogue to deliver this year, and probably the years to come.
Freaking fantastic news. Looks like the only group that really cares about health and safety is Ikea ( not that they really cared either).....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Member
Jun 8, 2019
471 posts
210 upvotes
mikebc wrote: I ask because Canada Post is pretty weird at recognizing BC stat holidays. We don't get our "Family Day" (a provincial stat in February) off, nor do we get paid for it. Every year everyone on the floor has no idea if we're working August long or not and I'm currently on holiday. It's only a stat holiday in AB, BC, SK, ON, NB, NU, so, who the **** knows?

All I know is if Ontario gets it off, so do we.
We are off. I'm in BC.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1829 posts
2017 upvotes
BC
Canadian Tire compression, no weekend delivery, 36C forecast. Today should be interesting.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2348 posts
1765 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote: Canadian Tire compression, no weekend delivery, 36C forecast. Today should be interesting.
What Canadian Tire compression? wink , wink......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Canadian Tire compression, no weekend delivery, 36C forecast. Today should be interesting.
Easy day here, and CMB ot doing CT flyer section.

Sometimes I wonder how we stay in business tho. Fools on both sides someday will make us obsolete.
Member
Feb 20, 2019
202 posts
97 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Canadian Tire compression, no weekend delivery, 36C forecast. Today should be interesting.
No cheat sheet, had to pull by board. 28000 step day and just did 1/3 of CT as I won't be on the same walk tomorrow.

Folks in our depot are urging everyone to opt for 3 day delivery and saying if we consistently do it in 2, they'll eventually take the option away from us.
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
PavementPounder wrote: No cheat sheet, had to pull by board. 28000 step day and just did 1/3 of CT as I won't be on the same walk tomorrow.

Folks in our depot are urging everyone to opt for 3 day delivery and saying if we consistently do it in 2, they'll eventually take the option away from us.
Some posties are so paranoid it's laughable. You hear the same bs for years and it never happens. Just relax and enjoy the job, despite the negative people, it's still a good job compared to many other ones.
Member
Feb 20, 2019
202 posts
97 upvotes
Otrosky101 wrote: Some posties are so paranoid it's laughable. You hear the same bs for years and it never happens. Just relax and enjoy the job, despite the negative people, it's still a good job compared to many other ones.
Totally agree. I love this job, but some days are certainly better than others.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
12280 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
Otrosky101 wrote: Some posties are so paranoid it's laughable.
When they've seen some of the shiit this corp can pull, there's reason to be paranoid.
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2348 posts
1765 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Hugh Jass wrote: When they've seen some of the shiit this corp can pull, there's reason to be paranoid.
Strangely enough, I am paranoid of both the company and the union. They are both quite made for each other, and pull the shit back and forth between each other like it was a rope pull contest......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1829 posts
2017 upvotes
BC
Yeah TBH the flyers weren't so bad. It sucks walking an extra 3-4km in this heat but at least there's no forest fires this year. I remember doing Ikeas in this heat with acrid smoke just permeating everything, this pales in comparison.

Weekend delivery would've been nice but oh well, they had a lot of terms in to help today. It was just bad timing that it all landed on an orange day. Our routes are all front loaded with door to door, I'm not sure if this is consistent across all builds.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5408 posts
2114 upvotes
Winnipeg
How much of the Cupw union dues are going to their latest union movement for food couriers?
Newbie
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
Quick medical question for the thread:

I'm considering getting a custom unloader knee brace, but it's ridiculously expensive and want to verify our health coverage rate for such a thing.

Just to confirm: knee braces ARE classified as orthotic appliances, and as per our plan, we're covered for only $120 of total cost once per calendar year.

Have I got that right?

Or does a knee appliance fall under "osteopath" in which case the coverage is $400 per calendar year?
Newbie
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
Wait, hold on....just noticed the footnote on the coverage website that says "benefits may be subject to reasonable & customary pricing."

I'm interpreting this as: individual claims will be assessed on their own basis based on region and specifics of the claim. Yes?

Sorry to be thinking out loud. I'm glad I have health coverage but I wish they wrote this stuff in plain English.
Jr. Member
Dec 8, 2017
115 posts
39 upvotes
Only FOOT orthotics are covered.
A brace would Not be covered under osteopath.
It is covered under medical supplies “ Braces containing either metal or hard plastics. Prescription is required. Does not cover dental or braces for athletic use.”
From what I read there is no maximum for this.
But as with anything with GWL always call to be sure you have down everything you need to before you spend your money.
Jr. Member
Dec 8, 2017
115 posts
39 upvotes
As with all medical supplies they reimburse 80% of maximum or if no maximum still 80%.

Top