Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
you would think Canada post wage would increase with atleast with inflation....it is not happening unfortunately,,so if you are concerned about wager,,look else where,,but I would not be surprised if our wages do get cut, as I can see Canada post saying to be competitive, your wage has to be lower
guccimanilla1 wrote: Thanks for all the great responses I'm been getting here.

What's been on my mind recently is whether or not working for Canada Post is a worthwhile career, or if I should use it as a stepping stone to other things. I don't mind being a letter carrier, and the pay sure as hell beats minimum but I feel room for making a serious living isn't that great. In training they told us our pay would only max out at 25 or 26? Which is pretty disappointing. Hoping that once CUPW has a deal, things like this could change...
Dec 20, 2016
35 posts
21 upvotes
airmail wrote: Unfortunately CUPW has been giving away benefits year after year, so don’t expect any huge increases in the future. Urban carriers took around a 3k haircut on flyers alone last year.

Purolator and UPS have had huge gains over the past few years. If you can afford to start out at a lower wage, there final wage is almost 5$ more an hour and pretty well the same benefits. There union is focused on wages and not hybrid vehicles
Yeah. I'll have to start looking elsewhere soon. I mean the job pays the bills, and they are pretty fair about overtime, but the extreme gap between me and "3-hour Bill", and all the BS, isn't worth the few years of seniority I'll have to get before the job isn't complete garbage (for peanuts).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2342 posts
1755 upvotes
at the chiropractors
guccimanilla1 wrote: Yeah. I'll have to start looking elsewhere soon. I mean the job pays the bills, and they are pretty fair about overtime, but the extreme gap between me and "3-hour Bill", and all the BS, isn't worth the few years of seniority I'll have to get before the job isn't complete garbage (for peanuts).
aaaaaaaand now you know why the quit rate for new hires is so high. You are hardly alone in your thinking. Ps. It used to be that the new reliefs got paid a premium that was HIGHER THAN THE TOP WAGE. And the retention rate was much greater. Who woulda thunk?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
just got a referral from the doctors for orthotics
- forgot the process,,,im guessin go to your wellness place and get your foot shped for othotics....do we pay first and than submit receipt to great west life or is it automatically done at well ness place
thanks
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
Another benefits question.

I have some social anxiety that waxes and wanes and is full on waxing right now. I figure I should finally do something about it.

Anyone get therapy via benefits? I saw somewhere that we have a 2k limit? How does the process work?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
dcjcdc wrote: just got a referral from the doctors for orthotics
- forgot the process,,,im guessin go to your wellness place and get your foot shped for othotics....do we pay first and than submit receipt to great west life or is it automatically done at well ness place
thanks
Orthotics have to be prescribed for an ailment, not symptom. Most GP’s get this wrong and it will be denied every time. So, “back pain”, won’t cut it. I found it’s easier to cut out the middle man and go straight to a podiatrist, who can prescribe themselves. My podiatrist did a consult, created a mold and submitted an estimate for both an orthotic and orthopaedic shoes. Once it was approved, the turn around time was about two weeks.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
gotwgoty wrote: Another benefits question.

I have some social anxiety that waxes and wanes and is full on waxing right now. I figure I should finally do something about it.

Anyone get therapy via benefits? I saw somewhere that we have a 2k limit? How does the process work?
Yes. The limit is $1600 and covers psychologists/social workers. You’ll need a referral from your GP. Psychologists are in the $150-$200/hour range, so it’s best to determine if a psychologist is needed, or a psychotherapist/social worker is more appropriate. The process is simple to submit online/via app and you’re reimbursed at 80%.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
hmm
doctors note says please provide custom made shoes and orthitics dx. plantar fasciitis
pike18 wrote: Orthotics have to be prescribed for an ailment, not symptom. Most GP’s get this wrong and it will be denied every time. So, “back pain”, won’t cut it. I found it’s easier to cut out the middle man and go straight to a podiatrist, who can prescribe themselves. My podiatrist did a consult, created a mold and submitted an estimate for both an orthotic and orthopaedic shoes. Once it was approved, the turn around time was about two weeks.
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
pike18 wrote: Yes. The limit is $1600 and covers psychologists/social workers. You’ll need a referral from your GP. Psychologists are in the $150-$200/hour range, so it’s best to determine if a psychologist is needed, or a psychotherapist/social worker is more appropriate. The process is simple to submit online/via app and you’re reimbursed at 80%.
I don’t have a gp. Walk in clinic works?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2342 posts
1755 upvotes
at the chiropractors
CN and teamsters come to a negotiated agreement. See how that works when a company realizes that there is no back to work legislation? Why the hate for us Trudeau?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
timetotellthetruth wrote: CN and teamsters come to a negotiated agreement. See how that works when a company realizes that there is no back to work legislation? Why the hate for us Trudeau?
Did you forget that China packets are an essential service?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
dcjcdc wrote: hmm
doctors note says please provide custom made shoes and orthitics dx. plantar fasciitis
Maybe? I would put an estimate in through the orthotic retailer.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2342 posts
1755 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jonny_fishead wrote: Did you forget that China packets are an essential service?
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. It is critical that someone gets their cat picture cell phone case from China, but health facilities going cold in Quebec, and farmers up in arms is A..O.. K. We should put the wages and benefits for MLA's in permanent arbitration.....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: CN and teamsters come to a negotiated agreement. See how that works when a company realizes that there is no back to work legislation? Why the hate for us Trudeau?
But did they get electric trains and bicycles for shipping products across Canada?

We want to save the planet, a raise? Nah.
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
The minister said " Both parties expressed to us, as we went through this process, a sincere commitment to wanting to reach an agreement ... together with a commitment to be flexible,"

Does that sound like CUPW and Canada Post?? Nope.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5404 posts
2112 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cupw has carriers and clerks negotiating the contract. And hybrid vehicles and postal banking should not be on the table.
Teamsters also got Purolator huge gains.
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
Can the people claiming that the union is turning down raises solely because they want electric cars just stop. It’s super dumb.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1066 posts
566 upvotes
moncton
gotwgoty wrote: Can the people claiming that the union is turning down raises solely because they want electric cars just stop. It’s super dumb.
I don't even know if they want electric cars, one thing they were asking for was for charging stations to be installed at post offices, not for us necessarily but for public use. I mean its great for electric car owners on a road trip and for society in general but not sure how it would help the corp. Would we make money off them somehow?
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: I don't even know if they want electric cars, one thing they were asking for was for charging stations to be installed at post offices, not for us necessarily but for public use. I mean its great for electric car owners on a road trip and for society in general but not sure how it would help the corp. Would we make money off them somehow?
Possibly but either way that’s never going to be a sticking point in negotiations. People are acting as if the union is turning down contracts based on issues that aren’t major issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

danman227460