Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Inflation has been consistently been 1-3%, so +25-75 cents/yr. At this point a 4-2-2-2 ($4) would be amazing but wildly optimistic, $3 over 4 years is our best case scenario IMO. More realistically I can see a 2-2-1-1 with retro pay, so a quick $1 boost then +$.25 for 2 years.

edit: Just keep in mind we haven't had raises consistent with inflation since the mid 2000s.
Sep 22, 2019
72 posts
57 upvotes
Earth
airmail wrote: UPS drivers get paid 31$ plus and they even get helpers in December.
Purolator who CANADA post owns get paid more also.
Canada post wages and benefits have been going backwards for years now
UPS driver positing is a good job, and you can make money, but.. they work from 9 to 8, Monday to Friday, that means no family life.. also more then half of CP employees wouldn’t even pass their in class test.
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
TonyS44950 wrote: UPS driver positing is a good job, and you can make money, but.. they work from 9 to 8, Monday to Friday, that means no family life.. also more then half of CP employees wouldn’t even pass their in class test.
They get 2-3 hours of OT every day? What does their classroom test involve?
Oct 19, 2019
56 posts
32 upvotes
Way more opportunity at UPS for inner company movement( supervisors, etc) , but way more harder work in general. I like the country club Canada post atmosphere when you've been there a long time, obviously the cons are you're only as good as your seniority.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
airmail wrote: UPS drivers get paid 31$ plus and they even get helpers in December.
Purolator who CANADA post owns get paid more also.
Canada post wages and benefits have been going backwards for years now
I've lived in the same downtown neighbourhood for 13 years and it's always been the same UPS guy. He knows me by name and will say hi often. He must like his job quite a bit! I've been spoiled in hotel restaurants making $35/hr on average with excellent benefits but not a lot of upward growth. How often do drivers and/or sorters make the jump to management?
Sep 22, 2019
72 posts
57 upvotes
Earth
biggerthanfun wrote: They get 2-3 hours of OT every day? What does their classroom test involve?
Everyday yes. Normally after 4, 5 you start getting a bunch of on demand pick ups...
The hard part of classroom test is the part where you have to memorize, 10 to 15 points of driving habits, and write them down word for word, you must get 100
% on that one.To memorize you really have to read it over and over again, and write is down over and over again to help you memorize it, you have 2 weeks.
If you pass, you will always have to know the driving habits very well, because you will be held accountable if you get into an accident. UPS is not playing games, they make sure their new hires are professional delivery people.
Dec 20, 2016
41 posts
21 upvotes
What tips do you guys have on organizing parcels? How do you do them personally? I've seen a variety of methods. Recently I've been writing the street and # on big letters on the packages, then I'll write it down on a piece of paper so it's easier to cross reference. I know the most popular way to is write the tie-out on the parcels. I'm curious if anyone has a unique or different way of doing it.
May 19, 2018
85 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
How to get a job in Canada Post/UPS etc. Which license do we need? I am from Calgary with Class 5 advance license which is equivalent to Class G in ontario.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Exodus1989 wrote: How to get a job in Canada Post/UPS etc. Which license do we need? I am from Calgary with Class 5 advance license which is equivalent to Class G in ontario.
You only need a class 5 to work for CP, unless you want to drive the 5 tonne trucks that transfer mail/parcels between depots/plants
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
is it me or there are a lot more parcels from blackfriday and cyber Monday than other years
- on Monday a guy at our depot had 270 scannables....
curious whats the most scannables you've seen at your depot
mind you we are an all cmb depot and when we had our restructure a few years back we lost half our routes due to our restructure being in the summer,,so that's another reason why we get killed with parcels
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: is it me or there are a lot more parcels from blackfriday and cyber Monday than other years
Definitely. Previous years I always expected more and it never really came. We've got Sunday delivery this coming weekend and they're even talking about possibly bringing us in for Saturday also.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Definitely. Previous years I always expected more and it never really came. We've got Sunday delivery this coming weekend and they're even talking about possibly bringing us in for Saturday also.
After getting screwed last year because of the useless rotating strikes I'm scooping up daily and weekend overtime delivering parcels.

It is very busy, though I can't really compare with a couple of years ago - I don't really remember.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
You Vancouver guys getting hit hard too? I feel like Gateway is absolutely bombarded right about now.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
guccimanilla1 wrote: What tips do you guys have on organizing parcels? How do you do them personally? I've seen a variety of methods. Recently I've been writing the street and # on big letters on the packages, then I'll write it down on a piece of paper so it's easier to cross reference. I know the most popular way to is write the tie-out on the parcels. I'm curious if anyone has a unique or different way of doing it.
This depends on the route I guess, but I think you are wasting time writing on parcels.

I just make a list by street and building (for apartment buildings) and building and unit (for townhouses that I can drive around). Then I put them in the transit roughly by section of route. A Day goes in front. C day on right at back and B day on left at back. If I get something majorly oversized and it has to go to the back (if it's A day, I note that beside the parcel. If a parcel is small enough to go in a satchel (If I'm using it) or into a panel, then I underline it. I never write anything on the actual parcel.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
I have way more than last year right now and more than two years ago.

We have amazon direct to depot. Honestly, I don';t mind it because almost everything is safe drop or the AOs that fit in panels.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Vancouver is okay, the OT crew is managing to clean up overflows so we're not carrying over parcels yet. I had 90 scans on my footwalk today, normal for Thursday would be about 40. So we're just in that "Monday volumes every day" phase of Christmas, some routes get hit harder than others. My OT section today had 56 scans, 10 of them being PCI/oversized. China Registers are non-existent, I'm not sure if that's on purpose. We're still safedropping everything, the RPOs have put out the call that they're full already.

One thing that has become quite obvious to everyone is our terms this year are absolute garbage. I don't expect the world but even the supervisors are getting frustrated that they're being given 2 sections and they're bringing one back, the urgency and work ethic just isn't there in this crop. This is the level of people we're attracting with the wage we're offering unfortunately.
Nov 20, 2004
837 posts
1203 upvotes
Vancouver
Got 146 scannables while on relief on Monday: 37 to one commercial building, the rest to apartments with maybe 6-7 to the only residential loop on the walk. The most I've seen, granted I've only been around for a year.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Vancouver is okay, the OT crew is managing to clean up overflows so we're not carrying over parcels yet. I had 90 scans on my footwalk today, normal for Thursday would be about 40. So we're just in that "Monday volumes every day" phase of Christmas, some routes get hit harder than others. My OT section today had 56 scans, 10 of them being PCI/oversized. China Registers are non-existent, I'm not sure if that's on purpose. We're still safedropping everything, the RPOs have put out the call that they're full already.

One thing that has become quite obvious to everyone is our terms this year are absolute garbage. I don't expect the world but even the supervisors are getting frustrated that they're being given 2 sections and they're bringing one back, the urgency and work ethic just isn't there in this crop. This is the level of people we're attracting with the wage we're offering unfortunately.
Even though the amazon offer is a bait and switch (apparently $19 an hour is only possible under really specific conditions) i think people are choosing that. Our new terms are a joke also. People are still doing two sections weeks afrer they should be on a full route.

Great for me. I did a super cake section today for OT and did it in 45 minutes lol.

Edit: I know this would never happen but they should pay more in big cities and less in smaller ones. The lower mainland is desperate for workers not that far off $19 an hour everywhere. Every restaurant has a help wanted sign up.

I can understand our pay structure in Halifax or where ever but not Vancouver.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)