Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Got the dreaded Letter today informing me the corp is reviewing my pay.
With my luck they'll figure I was overpaid and start collecting from my already meager wages.
Sometimes I really hate this company...
Feb 12, 2020
8 posts
2 upvotes
maxiom wrote: Hi everybody
Very interesting forum.

I applied two weeks ago to be a mail carrier in Montreal. Quick answer from the HR the day after. Interview went well and they took my fingerprints with electronic device. Then i had my physical test on ferbruary the 25. No news since.
As the process been quick at first, i am now worry that something went wrong. Is there somebody here from Montreal who had the same experience ?
I wouldn't worry. Sometimes it takes a while. Once you get tired of waiting, which might be now, give them a call to find out the situation.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1812 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
VanMailMan wrote: Got the dreaded Letter today informing me the corp is reviewing my pay.
With my luck they'll figure I was overpaid and start collecting from my already meager wages.
Sometimes I really hate this company...
Basically if you were ever paid $20.40 for being relief you'll come out ahead. They'll retro pay you for the ~$.40/hr for your time as an RLC (that's how I understand it).

Someone in my station falls into the gap for backpay since 2014. I don't think they know their number yet but it should be big.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11941 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
Gong show. When’s our next next contract expire? Tomorrow. Brutal handling of this by all parties. We’re the losers.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2340 posts
1751 upvotes
at the chiropractors
trellaine201 wrote: Gong show. When’s our next next contract expire? Tomorrow. Brutal handling of this by all parties. We’re the losers.
Nice right? Depending on how long the arbitrator makes the contract, we could already be without the next one......lol.... you can't make this stuff up.....lol
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
205 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: Nice right? Depending on how long the arbitrator makes the contract, we could already be without the next one......lol.... you can't make this stuff up.....lol
Can the arbitrator decide on any length? If so, I hope they lock in one that’s a reasonable length before the next election.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11941 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
Ridiculous. It’s no wonder we never see union reps from the hall! They would probably be bombarded with questions, grumblesetc.

I doubt they would step foot inside a depot?

I have never heard boo from them.

I tried contacting my MP. No return email. I contacted the minister NO response. Why do I even vote. They do nothing for the middle class.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11941 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
gotwgoty wrote: Can the arbitrator decide on any length? If so, I hope they lock in one that’s a reasonable length before the next election.
OMG one can only hope they tack on 3-4-5 years.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1812 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
"Time for competitors to catch up [wages]"????

They don't start at $19.86. What a joke.
Mar 7, 2012
308 posts
199 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: Ok. I'm officially throwing in the towel. Everybody seems committed to apocalyptic scenarios.

Be terrified. It's terrifying! Maybe being terrified will help you collate flyers faster tomorrow?

I honestly don't mean to trivialize. If anyone does need to legitimately worry, it's people in under-developed countries. Canada's health infrastructure is more than up to the task, especially post-SARS.
You sound like a Trump supporter.
Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: Basically if you were ever paid $20.40 for being relief you'll come out ahead. They'll retro pay you for the ~$.40/hr for your time as an RLC (that's how I understand it).

Someone in my station falls into the gap for backpay since 2014. I don't think they know their number yet but it should be big.
I won an RLC position after one month of becoming permanent. I was paid $20.40, which according to the CUPW info is the correct minimum pay rate for RLC, which is what you are paid during your first year as permanent.
I guess we'll see!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1812 posts
2001 upvotes
BC
I believe the ROP argument is that the $.54 you get isn't a "full increment", they argue that promotion should bump you from year 0 ($19.86) to year 1 immediately ($20.70 or something?) according to the pay ranks in the CA. I haven't spoken to anyone who's had their case reviewed and paid out so I'm not 100%, but that's the basis of the grievance.

Now is declaring yourself as an RLC actually a "promotion" or just a designation? It's not like you really have a choice, 99% of new permanents are not in a position to own a route. There's some wordplay that the union is using to further their position and it seems like management is having to pay the price. You can bet that section will be reworded in the new contract.
Last edited by mikebc on Mar 3rd, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2014
344 posts
260 upvotes
Burlington, ON
That's deemed as a promotion and you should have been bumped to a year 1 RLC pay rate.
If you're still relief and don't own a position you could be in for a sizeable pay adjustment. If you only stayed relief for a few months then you will only get a small adjustment cheque.Good luck. Keep in mind this will go backwards also. If you switch from relief to owner you drop 1 year on the pay grid and if Canada Post didn't change you're pay when you switched, then you're going to owe CP some overpayment $$$.
I got screwed by CP in the summer for this exact issue
I only owed $1K .Goodluck
VanMailMan wrote: I won an RLC position after one month of becoming permanent. I was paid $20.40, which according to the CUPW info is the correct minimum pay rate for RLC, which is what you are paid during your first year as permanent.
I guess we'll see!
Jul 6, 2017
389 posts
298 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Pjtipps wrote: That's deemed as a promotion and you should have been bumped to a year 1 RLC pay rate.
If you're still relief and don't own a position you could be in for a sizeable pay adjustment. If you only stayed relief for a few months then you will only get a small adjustment cheque.Good luck. Keep in mind this will go backwards also. If you switch from relief to owner you drop 1 year on the pay grid and if Canada Post didn't change you're pay when you switched, then you're going to owe CP some overpayment $$$.
I got screwed by CP in the summer for this exact issue
I only owed $1K .Goodluck
Yeah, I was RLC for nearly two years, then went on LWOP and came back as P/T PO4. They set my pay back to first year LC and I argued that I should be starting at 2nd year rate. They agreed and paid me the extra. It's really difficult to keep track of...never go on LWOP and then change classifications if you can avoid it!
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
205 upvotes
Mmmm, I got full time and backfilled and then bid on a relief position. I feel like I was at 20.40. Then, I bid on full time and went back down to 19.86. Tell me I'm getting some money!
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5401 posts
2112 upvotes
Winnipeg
mikebc wrote: "Time for competitors to catch up [wages]"????

They don't start at $19.86. What a joke.
More like Canada post to catch up, But they are basing it on inside workers wages. As everyone knows carriers are not fairly represented.
Letter carrier wage 26.60
Terms are being hired as the same wages that were in the nineties.
FedEx, Purolator and UPS parcel driver wages will all be over 30 to 33 an hour by 2022.
Ups contract below
Images
  • 8798ED10-0C66-4E34-A9B2-35D3CB767C7F.jpeg

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)