Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2046 posts
1661 upvotes
We are still having our stupid mini meetings with a mini megaphone pretending the social distance bs. Started with staggered start times but cuss can’t drop the bags on time . Still no take your own vehicle option. No area manager , no superintendent, no union steward for the past 2 weeks . This place is a joke. Got a govt flyer which is going to every poc from tomorrow.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Jan 5, 2014
289 posts
327 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
They hired a little lady with one cloth and one squirt bottle to clean our depot. It's about one squirt per 10 minutes of wiping, same cloth, no gloves nor any effort to properly wipe.

Unbelievable

100% this is not being taken seriously
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
nousername wrote: We are still having our stupid mini meetings with a mini megaphone pretending the social distance bs. Started with staggered start times but cuss can’t drop the bags on time . Still no take your own vehicle option. No area manager , no superintendent, no union steward for the past 2 weeks . This place is a joke. Got a govt flyer which is going to every poc from tomorrow.
Do you have relay boxes? Otherwise why would you use your own vehicle?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2046 posts
1661 upvotes
We are old school relay box/taxi routes. Out of 157 routes 120 are walking /relay. Rest are 95% rsmc’ s and mobile .
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
Omg just let the arbitrator decide then. Impose a temporary contract, ammend it after the rest of the meetings.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
The grocery stores don’t seem to have a problem finding hand sanitizer and wipes.
Have they not heard about tele conference for arbitration? Considering every union and cpc executive are at home .
Last edited by airmail on Mar 25th, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 22, 2012
606 posts
334 upvotes
By the River
RSMC1234 wrote: And yet the countries with some of the highest infection rates (China, Italy, USA, UK) remain on the list.

Way to go CPC!!

It won't be long before we go into "strike mode" and only a handful of people work to deliver government cheques.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
It seems like those are the countries who are probably at risk of shutting down their postal or border services. I get it, important stuff only, I wish we'd do that here too.
Mar 7, 2012
542 posts
387 upvotes
I just read an article about whether or not parcels are a risk of spreading the virus. And they stuck with the same "it's unlikely, but possible" answer. However, this was the first mention of US...

“I would be more worried about the mail sorters and mail carriers, who are exposed to many more pieces of mail,” - Lloyd-Smith
Mar 7, 2012
542 posts
387 upvotes
RSMC1234 wrote: And yet the countries with some of the highest infection rates (China, Italy, USA, UK) remain on the list.

Way to go CPC!!
You know, I always notice that Canada tends to report things in a manner that makes them look better than it actually is. Especially when it seems that Canada can "beat" the US at something. So I took it upon myself to do the math and Canada actually has a higher percentage of infections AND deaths than the US does. Now, Canada is also doing more testing, so perhaps things would even out once the US started testing more. But the point is, Canada belongs up there too. Canada does a lot of sugar coating. Remember how Vancouver destroyed it's own city after losing a freaking hockey game? I heard about for a day and then it was like it never happened. This is a bad thing to undercut the numbers on.

As of today:
Canada: Population 37,742,154
- 3385 cases is .000089% of population (4.45 times higher!!)
- 35 deaths is .000000927% of population (2.95 times higher!!)
- 142,154 tested is .00376% of population (2.64 times higher)

USA: Population 331,002,651
- 69047 cases is .000020% of population
- 1046 death is .000000314% of population
- 472,820 tested is .00142% of population

So even if the testing was amped up in the states to meet the percentage of Canada... based on the numbers, it's safe to say Canada would still have higher rates. Which is not surprising to me. Canadians travel outside of their country more than American's do. Canada also has quite a high population (percentage wise) of people who travel to China. This isn't a blame game, it's just statistically true.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
SantaCruz wrote: You know, I always notice that Canada tends to report things in a manner that makes them look better than it actually is. Especially when it seems that Canada can "beat" the US at something. So I took it upon myself to do the math and Canada actually has a higher percentage of infections AND deaths than the US does. Now, Canada is also doing more testing, so perhaps things would even out once the US started testing more. But the point is, Canada belongs up there too. Canada does a lot of sugar coating. Remember how Vancouver destroyed it's own city after losing a freaking hockey game? I heard about for a day and then it was like it never happened. This is a bad thing to undercut the numbers on.

As of today:
Canada: Population 37,742,154
- 3385 cases is .000089% of population (4.45 times higher!!)
- 35 deaths is .000000927% of population (2.95 times higher!!)
- 142,154 tested is .00376% of population (2.64 times higher)

USA: Population 331,002,651
- 69047 cases is .000020% of population
- 1046 death is .000000314% of population
- 472,820 tested is .00142% of population

So even if the testing was amped up in the states to meet the percentage of Canada... based on the numbers, it's safe to say Canada would still have higher rates. Which is not surprising to me. Canadians travel outside of their country more than American's do. Canada also has quite a high population (percentage wise) of people who travel to China. This isn't a blame game, it's just statistically true.
To many zero's in all of your math (putting a % sign after the numbers you quote actually adds another 2 zero's). As well, you unintentionally put 1 extra zero in the USA number. Ignoring your % error, going by the system you used, there should only have been 3 zeros in the USA .00002 statement. (should be .0002), thereby making the USA three times worse than Canada.... This site tells you how many infected and deaths per million population by country. The USA is far worse off than Canada....
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, look at it the other way from the math you tried to do. Take Canada pop of 37,742,154 / 3385 and you get 1 infected for every 11, 150 people.
USA 331,002,651/69047 is 1 infected for every 4794 people.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Feb 20, 2019
228 posts
123 upvotes
And it looks like I caught a cold and am now on 14 day quarantine as per my supervisor. She said to expect a call from Canada Life, but it may be a while due to the circumstances.

@pike18 what happened with your 14 day? Did CL call you and are you losing any wages due to this?

I keep hearing about special leave but our sups have been vague about whether or not you're covered should you be told to stay home. I can't afford not to be paid.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
timetotellthetruth wrote: To many zero's in all of your math (putting a % sign after the numbers you quote actually adds another 2 zero's). As well, you unintentionally put 1 extra zero in the USA number. Ignoring your % error, going by the system you used, there should only have been 3 zeros in the USA .00002 statement. (should be .0002), thereby making the USA three times worse than Canada.... This site tells you how many infected and deaths per million population by country. The USA is far worse off than Canada....
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, look at it the other way from the math you tried to do. Take Canada pop of 37,742,154 / 3385 and you get 1 infected for every 11, 150 people.
USA 331,002,651/69047 is 1 infected for every 4794 people.
The important number is not the current number of cases but how fast they are growing. Canada's infection rate is still growing exponentially same as the United States. It hasn't slowed down with the measures in place.

Not sure why you are so unconvinced by the severity of the virus. But you're going to look pretty dumb in a week's time.
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
tarjet wrote:
Not sure why you are so unconvinced by the severity of the virus. But you're going to look pretty dumb in a week's time.
I don't think he's questioning the severity; the conversation was about the comparison of the US vs Canada numbers (which is a weird thing to discuss, IMO).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3205 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
tarjet wrote: The important number is not the current number of cases but how fast they are growing. Canada's infection rate is still growing exponentially same as the United States. It hasn't slowed down with the measures in place.

I told him that he did the math wrong on a topic that I didn't bring up, and somehow you read that to mean I don't take the virus seriously?

Wow, that leapt farther and faster then a coronavirus at a spit swapping convention.

Ooooooooooooookkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy

PS. You look pretty dumb right now, sooooooo.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)