Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Feb 20, 2019
202 posts
97 upvotes
Let's just brace ourselves for the turd that will eventually make its way down to us once things return to somewhat normal staffing at gateway.

As Mr. Lahey told Randy, "there's a $hitstorm brewing".
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11943 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
Any positive case is put in the hands of the health authority. At least in BC.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
The reddit thread re: the news article has an LJOSH rep saying that terms / casuals don't get quarantine pay. Anyone know about this? It seems like they would be eligible for something, at least the Canada sick leave benefit. His comments definitely seem misleading, saying it encourages terms to come to work sick. I feel like CUPW would be bleating this injustice to anyone who'd listen if CP is forcing terms to quarantine at home with no pay.
Feb 29, 2020
16 posts
12 upvotes
mikebc wrote: The reddit thread re: the news article has an LJOSH rep saying that terms / casuals don't get quarantine pay. Anyone know about this? It seems like they would be eligible for something, at least the Canada sick leave benefit. His comments definitely seem misleading, saying it encourages terms to come to work sick. I feel like CUPW would be bleating this injustice to anyone who'd listen if CP is forcing terms to quarantine at home with no pay.
Nope terms don’t get anything. We can get the Crb which equals 450$ per week from the govt but nothing from CP.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1739 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone work at Wynford? I heard that place got shut down today.
Aug 21, 2010
704 posts
277 upvotes
toronto
masks,,i doubt they work,,but i do agree with the social distancing.....hopefully canada post does the social distancing protocal,,,,
mikebc wrote: Yup. 40 down from 170 on Monday. Results not typical, no OT, clean floor (hasn't happened since October). Stuff has just ground to a halt. I imagine nearly everything I'm getting is local or regional, since PPC is still trucking along as usual.

Considering there's 4000+ employees at Gateway (in which case, 121 is a drop in the bucket), I'm assuming there's probably 10x that number at home on precautionary or "sick holiday". We shouldn't be seeing service interruptions over a 2% drop in staffing. They said they started mass testing yesterday, I'm assuming that 121 number will be eclipsed shortly by real numbers showing a mass outbreak. At minimum, an entire shift was likely directly exposed, meaning potentially a thousand people were a fabric mask away from infection. We all know there's no social distancing going on in processing centers.

On a side note, I just had 3 personal packages blast through Mississauga on the weekend (under 24 hours between drop off, initial process and "in transit"). 2 days to Richmond, on my doorstep today. I know there are still backlogs out there, but first-in-first-out has absolutely been ignored. I delivered an expresspost packet from Nov 21 yesterday.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1022 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
Obviously we need robotic help in the plant, employees are not reliable and healthy enough to keep our essential operation in business.

As we automate more and decrease the need for thousands of employees in one building this problem will go away, as will jobs unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1022 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
your best bet wrote: masks,,i doubt they work,,but i do agree with the social distancing.....hopefully canada post does the social distancing protocal,,,,
The "experts" promised us that this would be over if we all would wear masks and follow dear leaders instructions....meanwhile dear leaders and his/her friends broke ALL the rules as they tend to do.
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
Robots good, Trudeau bad.. lol.

It’s a good thing they are doing mass testing I guess. I’d assume there are ALOT more than a 100 or so cases there right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2340 posts
1752 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote: The "experts" promised us that this would be over if we all would wear masks and follow dear leaders instructions....meanwhile dear leaders and his/her friends broke ALL the rules as they tend to do.
Wrong. They said to wear masks to help flatten the curve and to help to not overwhelm the hospitals. You have got to stop listening to Fox news. There is only one clown that said it would all go away.......and now thankfully....he has.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1022 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote: Wrong. They said to wear masks to help flatten the curve and to help to not overwhelm the hospitals. You have got to stop listening to Fox news. There is only one clown that said it would all go away.......and now thankfully....he has.
Your the gullible one if you swallowed the flatten the curve tale my friend.

Don't worry though, your job isn't one of thousands being destroyed while the curve still wasn't "flattened",by wearing a piece of cloth.

Now you can go back to watching CBC,NBC,FOX,BBC, and the rest since they've had the same news about COVID since last March.
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote: Your the gullible one if you swallowed the flatten the curve tale my friend.

Don't worry though, your job isn't one of thousands being destroyed while the curve still wasn't "flattened",by wearing a piece of cloth.

Now you can go back to watching CBC,NBC,FOX,BBC, and the rest since they've had the same news about COVID since last March.
Oh my god, I think you are my uncle on Facebook lol.
Mar 24, 2016
816 posts
1132 upvotes
scarborough
27 more employees tested positive within the last 48 hours

i guess that would bring the numbers up and around 148
Sep 19, 2004
620 posts
242 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: 27 more employees tested positive within the last 48 hours

i guess that would bring the numbers up and around 148
Holy, was the number from the mandatory test? Has the test completed?
Mar 24, 2016
816 posts
1132 upvotes
scarborough
sunvv wrote: Holy, was the number from the mandatory test? Has the test completed?
Nope. Shift one and two have not been tested yet. Shift 1 and 2 is not mandatory, unlike shift 3 which all employee were to get tested. If refused you go home to quarantine . If you break quarantine you could face a fine and possible suspension
Aug 6, 2020
17 posts
16 upvotes
temps are disposable. if they get sick they are discarded. sad. But they pay 1000$ per year to the union like everyone else, and that probably equals to a minimum of 5% of pay before taking taxes and the rest. what a racket. If you work 8 hours in a month (someone correct me if im wrong), you have to pay the union dues, which equal to 3 hours a month ? for max pay permanents but 4 hours for temps since they are paid less. some temps pay more in union dues than they spend on food.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1813 posts
2002 upvotes
BC
If you're shift 2 at Gateway and you refuse the test, then they force you to quarantine, you are NOT being paid right? If they get paid, holy ****, burn their houses down.
Sep 22, 2019
52 posts
31 upvotes
“Refuse to test”... For the safety of all the refuse to test shouldn’t be allowed.
And how on earth can Gateway have so many positive cases when CP has been implementing mask use and social distancing?... is it because of infected people spreading it during lunch break?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1022 posts
608 upvotes
LONDON
TonyS44950 wrote: “Refuse to test”... For the safety of all the refuse to test shouldn’t be allowed.
And how on earth can Gateway have so many positive cases when CP has been implementing mask use and social distancing?... is it because of infected people spreading it during lunch break?
Test is bogus anyway, take it 5 times good chance you'll get various results, lots of bogus employees at Gateway too, dogf@@@ is a hobby there!

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 5 guests)

mikebc, Koolob1, stalbert1