Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 24, 2016
878 posts
1277 upvotes
scarborough
A group of employees who work the same shift at a Canada Post facility in Mississauga have been sent home and advised to isolate to prevent further spread of COVID-19 as the number of cases at the site continues to climb.
The Crown corporation said that employees and contractors who worked on the afternoon shift (shift 3) in Gateway East were instructed to leave the Dixie Road location Friday evening and told to self-isolate for 14 days.

https://www.cp24.com/news/several-canad ... -1.5279558
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1864 posts
2073 upvotes
BC
2021-01-23
COVID-19 Strikes Toronto Gateway East

In recent days, the number of workers testing positive for COVID-19 at the Gateway East facility in Mississauga has greatly increased. Public health authorities have ordered that all shift #3 employees are to self-isolate. These employees will receive paid quarantine leave. All shift #2 employees will have to be tested for COVID-19 or self-isolate for 14 days.

https://www.cupw.ca/en/covid-19-strikes ... -210011237
So, Mississauga is effectively shut down. No international, probably running 2 of 3 shifts at half power. F in chat for Canada Post executives, they all just lost their jobs.
Mar 24, 2016
878 posts
1277 upvotes
scarborough
mikebc wrote: So, Mississauga is effectively shut down. No international, probably running 2 of 3 shifts at half power. F in chat for Canada Post executives, they all just lost their jobs.
Really dont know who drop the ball on this one

Mississauga health dept for not investigating he number of cases or Gateway mgmt. for telling Canadian boarder service they had only 20 cases when it was 120 at the time
Sep 19, 2004
646 posts
272 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: A group of employees who work the same shift at a Canada Post facility in Mississauga have been sent home and advised to isolate to prevent further spread of COVID-19 as the number of cases at the site continues to climb.
The Crown corporation said that employees and contractors who worked on the afternoon shift (shift 3) in Gateway East were instructed to leave the Dixie Road location Friday evening and told to self-isolate for 14 days.

https://www.cp24.com/news/several-canad ... -1.5279558
I doubt these confirmed positive cases were from the same shift. Probably the number will be really shocking after the test completed for other shifts.
Mar 24, 2016
878 posts
1277 upvotes
scarborough
sunvv wrote: I doubt these confirmed positive cases were from the same shift. Probably the number will be really shocking after the test completed for other shifts.
Most are from that shift 3 Afternoon. That's the busiest shift at Gateway
Apr 30, 2015
915 posts
718 upvotes
York, ON
Just making some assumptions, but the full shift has been told to isolate, and they're reporting it as being 350 people.

Curious if they're having other shifts work overtime to keep things moving. I can't believe they would just idle a full shift.
Mar 24, 2016
878 posts
1277 upvotes
scarborough
tarjet wrote: Just making some assumptions, but the full shift has been told to isolate, and they're reporting it as being 350 people.

Curious if they're having other shifts work overtime to keep things moving. I can't believe they would just idle a full shift.
yes 350 people

As far as an idle shift. i guessing they could offer shift 2 overtime after shift and shift 1 overtime prior to shift. Also they could bring in casuals from other shifts. (just an assumption)
Sep 19, 2004
646 posts
272 upvotes
Today I thought everything is back to normal when I showed to work. Got 8 trays mail and 60+ packages. Last week I had 3 trays mail and less than 20 packages .

Let’s see what will be on Tuesday.
Sep 4, 2006
870 posts
524 upvotes
Ottawa
My international parcel that's been there for 10 days got scanned this morning!

25 Jan 2021 04:11
Item processed MISSISSAUGA, ON, Canada
Canada Post
15 Jan 2021 19:01
Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing MISSISSAUGA, ON, Canada
Canada Post
15 Jan 2021 18:59
Item has been presented to Canada Border Services Agency for customs review. MISSISSAUGA, ON, Canada
Canada Post
15 Jan 2021 18:59
Item has arrived in Canada and will be presented for review MISSISSAUGA, ON, Canada
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1717 posts
163 upvotes
onatrio
same here,,plus phone books,,really,,,im guessing the phone books are the last push before the phone book industry is obsolete,,,next should be uline as they are pushing ulines like crazy last few weeks,,sometimes its the thicker ulines, than thinner ulines,,,,majority of my busineeses I deliver to , don't want the ulines,,,they rather have it digital....maybe uline will get the hint,,paper catologues don't work
sunvv wrote: Today I thought everything is back to normal when I showed to work. Got 8 trays mail and 60+ packages. Last week I had 3 trays mail and less than 20 packages .

Let’s see what will be on Tuesday.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1864 posts
2073 upvotes
BC
Speculation tax plus gas bills. 16 trays! Busy day indeed.
Aug 21, 2010
777 posts
297 upvotes
toronto
was just watching the news and they were interviewing a gateway employee who did not want to be on camera...the fellah mentioned with the all the parcels they have to catch up on , they are pressured to do overtime and lots of employees are very fatigue and from being fatigue there immune system is weak causing them to catch the covid 19 alot easier, i have to admit i kind of feel guilty in these employees getting covid as my wife is one of those shoppers who is ordering non essential products weather it be from amazon or the bay...i keep on telling her, in what your ordering is it essestial ...so all these extra non essestial parcels people are ordering are making gateway employees tired to the point where there immune system is weak and easily asseble to catching covid 19

Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12006 posts
1888 upvotes
Vancouver
Parcels will only increase over the years. Business will be going online more and more.
Sep 22, 2019
58 posts
44 upvotes
your best bet wrote: was just watching the news and they were interviewing a gateway employee who did not want to be on camera...the fellah mentioned with the all the parcels they have to catch up on , they are pressured to do overtime and lots of employees are very fatigue and from being fatigue there immune system is weak causing them to catch the covid 19 alot easier, i have to admit i kind of feel guilty in these employees getting covid as my wife is one of those shoppers who is ordering non essential products weather it be from amazon or the bay...i keep on telling her, in what your ordering is it essestial ...so all these extra non essestial parcels people are ordering are making gateway employees tired to the point where there immune system is weak and easily asseble to catching covid 19
Some CP employees mentality is just sickening, people with that kind of mentality can jeopardize the future of the company. What about the LCs working outside carrying books, mail, and delivering parcels?? Aren’t they tired too?..

We want more parcels, that’s the companies future, if people can’t handle it, go and get another job... maybe at a office where you can sit all day just moving fingers!
Jul 6, 2017
412 posts
329 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
TonyS44950 wrote: Some CP employees mentality is just sickening, people with that kind of mentality can jeopardize the future of the company. What about the LCs working outside carrying books, mail, and delivering parcels?? Aren’t they tired too?..

We want more parcels, that’s the companies future, if people can’t handle it, go and get another job... maybe at a office where you can sit all day just moving fingers!
Are you serious? It's "sickening" to be exhausted from being overworked in a stressful environment full of COVID cases?
Have you ever done a shift processing parcels? It's far more gruelling than delivering, even on a heavy day.
I think the point is this volume increase has happened suddenly, not gradually, and EVERYONE is struggling to deal with it.
They are exhausted because they are working harder and doing more OT than usual at this time of year, when it traditionally slows down and we can rest a little.
Apr 30, 2015
915 posts
718 upvotes
York, ON
Really sad. I hope this knocks some sense into people about wearing proper PPE and not socializing.
Aug 21, 2010
777 posts
297 upvotes
toronto
so sad,,,to Canada Post he was Just a Number,,,if Canada Post Really Cared, they would help out the Plant Workers as well as the Carriers On The Street with These Incredible amount of Volumes of Parcels do deliver,,as its Exhausting and Time Value is Never Added,as well the RPO Pickup is Just Insane ..Come On Canad Post Put On Your Big Boy Pants and Help Your Employees before another Dies as we All Know the Combination of an employee being exhausted and with Covid don't Mix

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)